Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Glenn Quinn (Angel, Roseanne) passes away at 32

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-06-02, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad news to report. Glenn Quinn, probably best known for playing Doyle on "Angel" and Mark on "Roseanne", has passed away. Just read this on both Dark Horizons and Ain't-It-Cool.

Condolences to his friends and family.
Old 12-06-02, 11:33 AM
Banned

I read this this morning. I am shocked.
32?
Anyone know how?

There wee rumors floating around for a long time about drug use and why he was let go from Angel. I wonder if that was why?
Old 12-06-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Fight the good fight."

das

Signature dropped in rememberance
Old 12-06-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

http://glenn-quinn.com

He died Tuesday, no explanation given.
Old 12-06-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very, very sad. I really liked Doyle from Angel.
Old 12-06-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
He was excellent in both Rosanne and Angel... Sorry to see him gone so young.
Old 12-06-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
The rumor is a heroin overdose.

I have a friend who worked on "7th Heaven" and had routine contact with the production staff on "Buffy" and "Angel." The scuttlebutt then was that Glenn was let go because of his drug problem and that he was pulling Boreanaz into it as well.

Sad news though.
Old 12-06-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Draven
The rumor is a heroin overdose.

I have a friend who worked on "7th Heaven" and had routine contact with the production staff on "Buffy" and "Angel." The scuttlebutt then was that Glenn was let go because of his drug problem and that he was pulling Boreanaz into it as well.

Sad news though.
That sucks. I liked Doyle
Old 12-06-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

he was pulling Boreanaz into it as well
Boreanaz was toying around with herion? My respect for the guy just dropped 50 points if this is true.
Old 12-06-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always said the chemicals will get you in the end.

But, also because these are rumors and not considered fact, who knows who was doing what.
Old 12-06-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What sad news. My condolences to his friends and family.
Old 12-06-02, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by cooper2000
There wee rumors floating around for a long time about drug use and why he was let go from Angel. I wonder if that was why?
I don't know about the drugs, but I know that's not why he left. He knew signing on that his character was getting killed off in "Hero". Joss Whedon had it planned from the start.
Old 12-06-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Well, not to keep the "rumors" going, but the "Angel" crew told my friend (I know, friend of a friend of a friend...) that Whedon backpedaled and said those things because of the problems with Glenn.

I know it's rumors, but this is a good friend of mine who has no reason to lie to me about it.

It is a sad story, any way you cut it.
Old 12-06-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Absolutely. I don't watch "Angel" anymore, but I did when he was on, and I enjoyed him. He was also good in "Roseanne", and he will be missed.
Old 12-06-02, 04:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well clearly he died under embarassing circumstances, or they wouldn't be hiding the cause of death.
Old 12-06-02, 04:49 PM

Well, not to keep the "rumors" going, but the "Angel" crew told my friend (I know, friend of a friend of a friend...) that Whedon backpedaled and said those things because of the problems with Glenn.

I know it's rumors, but this is a good friend of mine who has no reason to lie to me about it.

Draven...I can confirm what you have said. I had a very good friend who worked for FOX and Buffy and she told me the exact same thing. Still, to see anyone that young & talented die by whatever reason is both a shame and a loss.
Best
Old 12-06-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for someone who dies of a drug overdose.

The family gets my sympathy, but if the rumors are true, I shed no tears for stupidity.

If the rumors are not true, then the death is tragic.

I have yet to watch Angel, but I liked his character on Rosanne.
Old 12-06-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with AR. I sympathize with those left behind and it's a loss of a talented actor, but I don't feel bad for him one bit. Same for others who have gone before them this way. No one forces anyone to do drugs. You choose to do it on your own.
Old 12-06-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In many cases, I would tend to agree; however, I'm not sure which of life's mistakes are worthy of losing your life. No one forces us to make bad decisions -- God knows I've made plenty -- but should the price be that high?

das

P.S. I'm not preaching at all ... I really don't have the answers I seek, nor am I sure if they exist.
Old 12-06-02, 07:32 PM
Banned

I am quite surprised at the lack of sympathy for someone that may have died from a drug overdose.
Though I dont condone hard drugs, I tend to think people may take drugs to escape an underlying problem that they cant deal with. I am not saying this is the answer but unfortunately it does happen.

I tend to side with das on this.
There are no easy answers and who are you people to judge what Glenns life was like?
Its more a tragedy than anything. Being dismissed from Angel could have been his wake up call but it wasnt.
Old 12-06-02, 07:50 PM

I would be sympathetic if there was not information available on what drugs do to you.

But there is.

And taking drugs because you have problems is weak and a poor excuse. There are alternatives.

If I get cancer because I smoke, I expect NO ONE to feel sorry for my dumb ass. I know the risks.

Doing harder drugs such as heroin or crack is the same thing as putting a revolver in your mouth, pulling the trigger, and hoping their aren't any bullets in it.

I guess I have no sympathy because death from a drug overdose is easily avoided. Don't do drugs. I mean damn, is that such a hard concept?

Look how much talent has been lost to heroin. Do I feel sorry for any of them? Absolutely not.

I almost find it offensive that we live in such a blameless society now, that instead of finding fault with the idiot who played russian roulette once too many times, we have to make an excuse for him. So what if he had problems? Jesus Christ, I have problems. Everyone I know has problems. It's all about how you handle your problems. If you want to get high, fine. I actually don't have any beef with that. Do what you want. But don't expect me to feel bad for when you when you kill yourself over it.

Put it this way, would you have felt sympathy for him if he died while playing Russian Roulette? If not, why not? During drugs is the exact same thing.

Of course, all of my comments will be retracted if he did not die from a drug overdose.
Old 12-06-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Alien Redrum •<HR SIZE=1>And taking drugs because you have problems is weak and a poor excuse. There are alternatives.<HR SIZE=1>

I know this sounds trite, but it's arrogant for you or I to assume others know and understand what we do. You would really be surprised what some people know and do not know simply from the environment in which you live. There really may be no other alternatives for some people. I could never begin to understand how one gets into that type of situation, but I do know it exists. This really doesn't apply to someone in Hollywood; nevertheless, I figure it applies to the generalization you were making.

• Quoth Alien Redrum •<HR SIZE=1>I almost find it offensive that we live in such a blameless society now<HR SIZE=1>

I disagree. There's no "almost" to it. I do find it highly offensive how irresponsible our society has become. It's sickening. But I believe it's two different things. I don't blame anyone for a drug overdose other than he who made the conscious decision to take those chances. That does not mean, however, that I don't have sympathy for him. I've made a lot of mistakes in my life -- I'd wager you have too -- and we are completely to blame for most (if not all) of those mistakes. Likely neither of ours has been so stupid as a drug overdose, but there have been many times when I've been given a second chance by someone who knew I was to blame for my actions but showed compassion anyway. The problem is ... when someone dies from a stupid mistake, there is no one who can give that person a second chance, and for that, I am sympathetic.

If this is a drug overdose, he is most definitely at fault. But losing your life is an incredibly high price to pay, and I'm not sure anyone of us deserves that no matter what our mistakes may be.*

das

* capital punishment is another issue entirely, one where my views would surely confuse even the sharpest of minds
Old 12-06-02, 11:53 PM
Banned

Alien:
Maybe we will all be as perfect as you in out next life, until then, we'll just have to live with condeming everyone who is not as perfect as you.
Old 12-07-02, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by cooper2000
Alien:
Maybe we will all be as perfect as you in out next life, until then, we'll just have to live with condeming everyone who is not as perfect as you.
Where exactly did I say I was perfect?

Let me make this clear....

I don't care if he did drugs. I don't care if you do drugs. I would be the last person to condemn someone for the actual use of drugs. I could care less.

HOWEVER...

Do not expect me to feel sorry for someone or have sympathy for someone who dies of a drug overdose.

Like I said, if I die from lung cancer, I expect no one to have sympathy for me. I smoke. It's stupid. I have a chance of dying from it if I don't stop. But I know the risks and I don't expect sympathy.

I find it amusing they you would think I am on a pedestal simply because I don't feel sorry for those who die of drug overdoses.
Old 12-07-02, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Alien Redrum •<HR SIZE=1>And taking drugs because you have problems is weak and a poor excuse. There are alternatives.<HR SIZE=1>

I know this sounds trite, but it's arrogant for you or I to assume others know and understand what we do. You would really be surprised what some people know and do not know simply from the environment in which you live. There really may be no other alternatives for some people. I could never begin to understand how one gets into that type of situation, but I do know it exists. This really doesn't apply to someone in Hollywood; nevertheless, I figure it applies to the generalization you were making.

Believe it or not, I agree with most of what you say.

But I don't think it's arrogant of me to not have sympathy. I think it's realistic. If the guy did of an o.d., he was taking a risk. A known risk. Why should I be expected to feel sorry for someone who has such a high disregard for their life?

Plus, you are assuming he had problems. He might have just been getting high. You don't have to have problems to do drugs. Granted that is probably the case in some situations, but not all.

• Quoth Alien Redrum •<HR SIZE=1>I almost find it offensive that we live in such a blameless society now<HR SIZE=1>

I disagree. There's no "almost" to it. I do find it highly offensive how irresponsible our society has become. It's sickening. But I believe it's two different things. I don't blame anyone for a drug overdose other than he who made the conscious decision to take those chances. That does not mean, however, that I don't have sympathy for him. I've made a lot of mistakes in my life -- I'd wager you have too -- and we are completely to blame for most (if not all) of those mistakes. Likely neither of ours has been so stupid as a drug overdose, but there have been many times when I've been given a second chance by someone who knew I was to blame for my actions but showed compassion anyway. The problem is ... when someone dies from a stupid mistake, there is no one who can give that person a second chance, and for that, I am sympathetic.

You make some very good points. And I can see your point of view. But to me, again, people who mess with drugs are jumping out of a plane without checking the 'chute.

Me? I have definitely have done my share of stupidity. Absolutely.

I have been around serious drug users. I have had friends who gone to the hospital for overdoses. I have seen the worse of drugs.

The way I see it, taking drugs for your problems is a copout.

And, again, I am not on a pedestal. I have done my own experimenting. It was stupid and I knew the risks. But I was smart enough not to mess with stuff that could kill me. And for the love of god, please don't say pot would kill me. Show me the statistics of people dying of a pot overdose and I'll stand corrected.

If this is a drug overdose, he is most definitely at fault. But losing your life is an incredibly high price to pay, and I'm not sure anyone of us deserves that no matter what our mistakes may be.*

Once again, I agree. I agree 100% that it is a high price to pay. Yes, even too high. But I cannot feel sorry for him. I can't. I feel sorry for his family and friends to lose a loved one so stupidly. But I cannot feel sorry for him at all.

das

* capital punishment is another issue entirely, one where my views would surely confuse even the sharpest of minds

I'd like to hear that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.