Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What convinced you to buy a multi-region player?

RKillgore
12-06-02, 06:07 AM
Most likely it is a particular DVD that prompted you to buy a multi-region player. What was it? Or if you have another reason, that's not title specific, please post that.

And thanks to the following posts from Finland, reminding me that this website is visited world-wide, please tell your region.

Mikkis
12-06-02, 06:10 AM
I used to watch movies through my computer and had plenty of movies from R1, R2 and R4 before I bought my dvd player. When I finally bought a player the multi-region version was the only way to go.

Teknomaagi
12-06-02, 06:34 AM
My reasons were when i bought my first Region-Free player (now i have two more) late '99:
- R1's are released earlier than R2's. At the time The Matrix was released on R1 ;)
- There are tons of films released on different Regions. Not all end-up released on Region 2.
- R4's are usually cheaper (up to 50% or more at times!) than R2's and most are flagged R2/R4 anyway.
- Better VCD and SVCD playback

My opinion about whole Region Coding? I think i dont have to even say it...

Jay G.
12-06-02, 07:00 AM
Before I bought my first player I read up on DVD in forums like this one. I found out about region coding, as well as players that could be region-free as well as convert PAL to NTSC. I went and bought the Apex 600a, which was then one of the few that had those options, although the PAL conversion wasn't the best.

A few months later I got the R3 HK DVD of Taxi and haven't looked back.

kevin75
12-06-02, 07:05 AM
the west wing season sets in R2.

Static Cling
12-06-02, 07:17 AM
Moving to International.

thalion
12-06-02, 08:27 AM
I just saw no point in buying anything else but a region-free player (and a region-free dvd-rom for my PC) - I mean, why accept an artificial limitation? My first DVDs were some Hongkong R0 releases and a few borrowed R1s from a friend, btw. I am based in R2-land ...

Bleddyn Williams
12-06-02, 08:40 AM
I wanted to be able to play the Hong Kong Legends discs from the UK.

Dragonslayer
12-06-02, 09:29 AM
I was only casually thinking about it during the first half of this year. Then Fox made the decision for me when they put the R1 "All That Jazz" on a seemingly eternal hold. I then bought a JVC multi-region player that has PAL to NTSC conversion capability in August & the first non-region 1 DVD that I purchased was the R2 "All That Jazz". It was the best decision I could have made, it opened up so many other DVD possibilities for me.

Rogue588
12-06-02, 09:34 AM
One - There was a childhood movie that [at the time] was only r2.

Two - It also plays mp3s, SVCDs & almost anything I can fit in there. [Still working on the kitchen sink...:)]

Giles
12-06-02, 10:10 AM
I was at a Stereophonics show in Wales which I knew would be coming out on R2 DVD and I wanted to own and resee the show at my leisure, so... this justified my action in purchasing a multi-region player.

Giles
12-06-02, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Rogue588
One - There was a childhood movie that [at the time] was only r2.

If you don't mind me asking, what was that movie?

kenbuzz
12-06-02, 10:30 AM
For me, it was the ability to get Farscape. Not only were they out in R2 MUCH SOONER than here in R1, but they were packaged much nicer and were generally less-expensive. I've already got all of the first three seasons on DVD... They've JUST released S1 in R1 as a single set (which annoyed those who bought the higher-priced 11 individual DVDs), and S2 is only 4 DVDs into the season.

The icing on the cake was when Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner" came out. The entire series was published on a 5-DVD box set in R2, but A&E released it on TEN DVDs over here in R1, driving up the price considarably. To get all ten DVDs right now, it's over $120 via DDD.... To get the 5-DVD set from the UK, it's GBP 54, or about $85. When I got it last summer, I got it from DVDPlus (back when they used to ship to the US) for GBP 43 shipped, or $68.

mbrunet
12-06-02, 10:44 AM
One reason: Buffy (prior to it becoming available in R1, although I'm still happy to be two seasons ahead of north america)

Of course, nowadays multi-region means much more than buffy alone...

DaveNinja
12-06-02, 10:47 AM
Futurama

Kakkarat
12-06-02, 12:30 PM
Hong Kong Legends (Jet Li and John Woo stuff mostly)
Laetitia Casta (got the R2 "Gitano" so I could watch her in all her anamorphic glory on a 65" screen) :drool:

fnordboy
12-06-02, 12:33 PM
A few factors.

1. Futurama was released in R2
2. Pandora's Box was released in R2
3. Several animes in multiple regions
4. Britcoms britcoms britcoms....
5. Ring, Ring 2, Ring 0 was released in R2
6. The Krays in R2 with no hope of an R1 probably.

Roberteb
12-06-02, 12:56 PM
Is there a paticular region free dvd palyer that anyone can recommend? Also, where is a good web site to buy one?

Rogue588
12-06-02, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Giles
If you don't mind me asking, what was that movie? Not at all. It's called the Water Babies (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0078477). Of course, right after I bought both the DVD & the DVD player, MGM announces a r1 release... D'oh! Oh well. I like having the option to select from whichever region I want. And, again, I must bring up the fact that it plays SVCDs. :D

keithhelms
12-06-02, 02:23 PM
Stargate SG-1. R2 is up to season 5, while in the U.S. they released season 1, then took 18 months to get season 2 out.

CoolIce
12-06-02, 02:27 PM
I need to watch Korean movies.

Dragonslayer
12-06-02, 02:40 PM
Is there a paticular region free dvd palyer that anyone can recommend? Also, where is a good web site to buy one
I purchased JVC XV-SA70 region free player with PAL to NTSC conversion capability from JVB Digital (http://www.jvb.nl/jvb.asp?cur=2&section=dvdplayers&page=browse&searchtype=brand&searchstring=JVC). A very pleasant firm to do business with. I received a small discount off their listed price because I picked it up in person. After reading thru the instructions quickly, the player was not difficult to setup to my liking. The remote is pretty easy to use. This player produces a VERY nice picture with R1 DVDs in the progressive scan mode. The only small nitpick that I have is the inability of the player to display "time remaining" like my old Sony changer could. My own personal bias is to see time displayed that way instead of counting upward from 00:00:00. This particular player is no longer available.

mdm67
12-06-02, 03:36 PM
since I wanted to collect all the movies I love a multi-region DVd player was the only logical solution

<A HREF="http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mdm67">mdm67</A>

roseart
12-06-02, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
I wanted to be able to play the Hong Kong Legends discs

Ditto :up:

mr.rs
12-07-02, 11:40 AM
I was convinced when I found out that other regions had:

A) movies unavailable in R1
B) 16x9 over R1 discs either P&S or letterboxed
C) exclusive content over R1 releases like DTS ect.....

Not to mention I got my Daewoo 5800 for a measly $90.
You can't beat that for a second player.

CROM1
12-07-02, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
I wanted to be able to play the Hong Kong Legends discs from the UK.

I second that!

chaver
12-07-02, 04:29 PM
Three words: My Sassy Girl

ckolchak
12-07-02, 10:53 PM
Jean DeFlorette & Manon Of The Spring.

i had bought the MGM R1 discs and was livid/heartbroken at the quality.
the R2's aren't close to being perfect, but much, much better.

RichardW
12-07-02, 11:46 PM
- Hong Kong Legends discs (UK)
- Miyazaki discs (Japan)
- South Park full seasons (UK)

... to name a few :)

Stealth
12-08-02, 04:55 AM
I bought my (Multi-Region) Pioneer back in 98 that's becoz:

- I travel to different countries every summer
(US - Europe - Asia)

- I can't find JapAnime on R2 not as much as I can find in R1
(The R2 am talking about is Europe not Japan)

- GT-R/Best Motoring dvds can only be found in Japan "R2"
now R1 started to release (2) but they're different

- Only R2 sell Top Gear on dvd :)

renaldow
12-08-02, 08:57 AM
Fed up with not being able to watch DVD's from other regions not yet released in the US + Multiregion player that does proper anamorphic PAL conversion for $63 at Best Buy = Time to buy one now.

calhoun07
12-08-02, 05:47 PM
All the great reviews for the Malata player, not to mention my disgruntled back lash after getting my first player (Toshiba) and opening the box to see an insert teaching me about region coding. If I had known that DVD players were region coded like that, I would not have thrown good money away on that Toshiba player. Why would anybody pay good money on something that won't play everything? It's just utterly stupid. Moronic. It would be like if they decided to put out a CD player that only played certain kinds of CDs from America but no other CD anywhere else, why would you want that? Why not get what will allow you to play anything from all over the world.

And I also do feel region coding should be illegal.

bhomatude
12-09-02, 01:44 PM
12 Truffaut films
11 Claude Chabrol films
10 Laurel and Hardy films
9 Ingmar Bergman films
8 more French films I have to buy
7 more DVD's only available in Japan I have to buy
6 Hiroshi Teshigahara films
5 Alain Resnais films (coming)
4 part dvd set of Godard's Histoire(s) du Cinema
3 Satyajit Ray films (coming)
2 early Ken Russell made for BBC films
and a Tree full of Wooden Clogs

stingo
12-09-02, 01:59 PM
My original reason: The Three Colors Trilogy (R2 - Artificial Eye)

The next would be buying editions of movies that are unavailable (e.g., Ab Fab: The Last Shout, HKL) yet, or have better editions/extras than region 1 (including a letterbox transfer) (e.g., A League of their Own, Zulu). I haven't looked back since.

El-Kabong
12-09-02, 03:00 PM
It was all a natural extension of my LD collection (and my Japanese LD collection), and my chipped and moded Playstation (and my ton of imports). After tasting the freedom to choose my media from anywhere on the planet, there was no f'ing way I was going back to being restrained again.

d2cheer
12-10-02, 06:54 PM
Drive (Special Collectors Edition) Director's Cut. I heard so many good things about this DVD that when I finally bought it I only had a computer DVD-Rom at the time that would play other Regions. After viewing it on my computer I ordered a Region Free player(Malata N 996) the SAME day. I had to see that DVD hooked up to my home theater! I have viewed it several times and it gets better each time. Best blind purchase I ever made.

cinemaman
12-10-02, 07:14 PM
bhomatude, tell me more about those L&H films! where did you get them, which ones and how are the quality??

Disc-Flipper
12-11-02, 07:54 AM
I'm in Region 1 and bought a Region-Free Player for:

- Suspiria (back then, only in region 2)
- Jason Goes to Hell (back then, only in region 2)
- The Prisoner TV series (back then only in region 2)
- Doctor Who The Movie (UK r2)
- Phantasm II & III (UK r2)
- Amityville II & III (DE r2)
- Trauma (UK r2)
- The Tomorrow People TV series (UK r0 PAL)
- The Adventures of Tintin (UK r2)
- Les Miserables - 1978 version (UK r2)
- Burnt Offerings (UK r2)
- Child's Play 3 (AU r4)
- Poltergeist II (UK r2)
- Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (DE r2)
- VCDs (which my r1 Panasonic player can't see)
- DVD-Rs (which my r1 Panasonic player can't see)

bhomatude
12-11-02, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by cinemaman
bhomatude, tell me more about those L&H films! where did you get them, which ones and how are the quality??

Check out this thread (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202243) - scroll down to German releases. There are actually more than 11 films (I needed an 11 :) ) Some of them will be released in the spring. I also cannot vouch for quality on these particular releases.

There are quite a few available now on amazon.de - including a 10 dvd set which includes the following:

Way out West
Sons of the Desert
Beau Hunks
Me and My Pal
Twice Two
Saps at Sea
A Chump At Oxford
Going Bye Bye!
Them Thar Hills
Tit for Tat
Brats
Helpmates
Block-Heads
Men o' War
Any Old Port
Towed in a Hole
Their Purple Moment
County Hospital
One Good Turn

severian2
12-11-02, 12:48 PM
Hong Kong Legends
Studio Ghibli
Buffy

Crazy Aoshi
12-11-02, 06:04 PM
R2 anime from Japan before a certain american company gets the chance to ruin it.

wz42
12-18-02, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by kenbuzz

The icing on the cake was when Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner" came out. The entire series was published on a 5-DVD box set in R2, but A&E released it on TEN DVDs over here in R1, driving up the price considarably. To get all ten DVDs right now, it's over $120 via DDD.... To get the 5-DVD set from the UK, it's GBP 54, or about $85. When I got it last summer, I got it from DVDPlus (back when they used to ship to the US) for GBP 43 shipped, or $68.

I loved my 600a for the ability to play this. Even with the mega set and the price drops it was/is still cheaper to have the Carleton Prisoner series shipped across the ocean than walk 15 minutes to the local Future Shop to pick up either the double packs or mega packs. A&E is only out to gouge the consumer.

The moment I read about the 600a I owned one less than an hour later and have never looked back. I picked it up about a week b4 the "big news" hit the fan and was blown away that I picked up the last one in the region. Now that I have another standalone (Sharp 740 - Sampo clone) and a multi region drive it does make the 600a less unique but not less loved.

It was always my pipe dream to play any movie in the world as a kid and now I can....and play hours of MP3 on a cdr and croon to karakoe with the trusty old 600a. My 9/99 LH 600a - you are my one true love. :hump:

JLJanis
12-19-02, 01:42 PM
Primarily the Tartan UK Bergman Collection, but now I'm beginning to note that this player is going to get me into all kinds of financial trouble... ;)

buckee1
12-20-02, 07:29 AM
The Gamera Box, Godzilla flicks straight from the source, Studio Ghibli and the West Wing were the primary reasons.

Joe Molotov
12-20-02, 02:07 PM
It wasn't really one individual thing for me, it just the experience of browsing HKFlix.com's website and seeing all these interesting looking movies that just weren't available in R1. I was planning on getting an HDTV and so I was going to have to buy a PS DVD player anyway, and so I just decided that I wasn't going to buy a new DVD player that wasn't Region Free. I ended up gettting the JVC XV-S500 from HKFlix along with Godzilla vs. Megaguiras. That was back during the summer. So far the only DVDs I have that aren't compatible with a R1-NTSC player are that Godzilla movie, Spirited Away, and El Topo, but I'm glad I desided to keep my options open.

Josh Z
12-20-02, 06:49 PM
Eyes Wide Shut.

ellone
12-20-02, 08:02 PM
Pretear that was released subbed in Singapore. Since I'm a sucker for shoujo (girl's) anime, I had to get a region free player so I could watch it.

eedoon
12-20-02, 10:09 PM
While most of the DVD I watch is R1, but sometimes I watch R2 and R3 DVDs too, because they're not being released in R1 yet.

pro-bassoonist
12-20-02, 10:41 PM
Dobermann
Les Amants Du Point-Neuf
Alice Et Martin
L'appartament

....and the countless French movies that I want in my collection!!

muggins
12-20-02, 11:23 PM
I'm a Germanics major, and so it is nice sometimes to hear some movies in German, and the last time I went over there I fell in love with the movie Jalla Jalla (great movie, I highly recommend it!), and I wanted to be able to play it when I returned. I also wanted to get the Last Unicorn on DVD, which had only been released in Germany, so I did a little research and found it wasn't too difficult to get my Apex to play multi-region DVDs.

Truffaut Fan
12-21-02, 06:00 PM
Eyes Wide Shut (Uncut)
Battle Royale
El Topo
National Lampoon's Vacation (Widescreen)
My Sassy Girl
John Woo's The Killer (Hong Kong Legends)
Studio Ghibli
Salo
The Sting (Widescreen)
Jean De Florette
Manon Of The Spring
Dario Argento's Sleepless (Widescreen with original Italian audio and English subtitles, DTS)
One Fine Spring Day
The MK2 Francois Truffaut releases
Naked Lunch
Breathless (UK release)
Last Seduction (Widescreen)
Lost Highway
Pulse
Dario Argento's Trauma
Repulsion

westvillage31
01-26-03, 12:32 AM
I really wanted to see some good British television series (always been a fan), and was craving something new... so i started buying them on amazon.co.uk. then I discovered Aussie stuff too , like "The Secret Life of Us" and I was HOOKED on my region-free player!

calhoun07
01-26-03, 07:48 AM
I also love British programming. Also, there are movies available only in other regions that are still not available (and some probably won't be available for a long time) in region one.

But the main reason is I feel if you are going to spend your hard earned money on a DVD player, why buy something that limits you to only one region? Why give manufacturers your hard earned money just so they can turn around and tell you, "Well, you can only watch THESE DVDs on it." To hell with them. I am a collector, and if I am going to give my money to anybody, it will be to the companies who supply DVD players that allow me to play DVDs from anywhere. And I love my Malata. Just like you can never go back to VHS after you get into DVD, I don't think I could ever go back to just a region one player after owning a Malata.

El-Kabong
01-26-03, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by wz42
I loved my 600a for the ability to play this. Even with the mega set and the price drops it was/is still cheaper to have the Carleton Prisoner series shipped across the ocean than walk 15 minutes to the local Future Shop to pick up either the double packs or mega packs. A&E is only out to gouge the consumer.

Arent the UK discs also better versions? More extras and better look to 'em?

DonnachaOne
01-26-03, 07:49 PM
I came for Human Traffic, I stayed for the british sitcoms.

Damfino
01-27-03, 12:40 AM
Disney and Fox Lorber provided the motivation.

Hong Kong Legends, Artificial Eye, and others provided the solution.

It's also been a lot of fun shopping in places like Europe, Hong Kong and Australia without leaving home. That's what the Internet is all about!

wz42
01-28-03, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Arent the UK discs also better versions? More extras and better look to 'em?

I've never seen the A&E discs in action so I can't make a video quality review although the Carleton do look nice. Much better than my MPI VHS (well that's a given). The packaging is imho alot nicer on the R2 release.

As far as extras I was under the impression they were basically the same with a minor difference or two.

Numanoid
01-28-03, 04:27 PM
The Prisoner box set (#1 reason)
Thunderbirds box set
Ringu
Bottom and other Britcoms

Even though some have been released in R1 versions, they are often inferior, not to mention much-delayed.

There is NO WAY I would ever go without a region-free player ever again.

Kitano
01-31-03, 01:43 AM
As i live in an RC2 region I had no choice but to go region-free.
Most of the movies I want are released first on RC1 or only
on RC1.
And some distibutors still stick to forced subtitles!
It's just fun to buy any DVD you want via Internet
not bothering what code they might have...
And one BIG reason of course, some DVDs are dubbed
but don't have the original version on.
Ever watched a comedy with the dubbed german track?
It sucks as hell