Reload this Page >

Splinter Cell ads carrying "Only on X-Box" tag

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-05-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd hate to knitpick, but if anyone has seen the ad campaign running on television for Splinter Cell, it's prefaced by the tag "Only on X-Box". Though Microsoft does have exclusivity through the rest of 2002 with Splinter Cell for the X-Box, I don't think it qualifys as an "X-Box exclusive". Especially since there is I believe a PC version coming in a few weeks.

The conspiracy theorist in me is saying that Microsoft wants to intentionally mislead the public into to thinking this will be an exclusive and compel the more casual gamer to run out and grab an X-Box rather than waiting for the GameCube or PS2 version that's on the way.

Just my two cents.

Old 12-05-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess they're really not lying though...right at this very moment, it is most definitely "Only On X-Box"
Old 12-05-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And it sounds better than "Only on XBOX (until our exclusivity agreement runs out at the end of the year)"

I think the MGS2:Substance ad's carry the "Only on XBOX" tagline too.
Old 12-05-02, 04:00 PM

Since when have advertisements not been misleading. it is all about saying whatever you can to get customers to buy the product without flat out lying, but stretching the truth or leaving out certain facts has always been a part of ads.

Anyway if you are going to play Splinter Cell on a console then the X-Box is the only option for now, and I don't have any faith in a good port for this being available on the PS2 since it doesn't have the power to pull it off.
Old 12-05-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by bluntman72

Anyway if you are going to play Splinter Cell on a console then the X-Box is the only option for now, and I don't have any faith in a good port for this being available on the PS2 since it doesn't have the power to pull it off.
This is a joke, right? I've played SC on Xbox and it doesn't look as good as MGS2:SOL for PS2 even. I highly doubt that the PS2 lacks the "power" to run Splinter Cell. What leads you to believe that it doesn't?
Old 12-05-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes it's decieving.
Old 12-05-02, 04:33 PM
zig

Well, it hasn't been announced to even be in development for the GC or PS2, so as far as anyone knows officially, it is "Only on XBox." ..since console exclusives can claim to be exclusives even if it is on the PC.
Old 12-05-02, 04:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Vice City says "only on PS2", but it's coming out on PC. Deceiving indeed.
Old 12-05-02, 05:01 PM

It has been confirmed to be in development for PS2 and GC.

GP: I would argue to a digree that their is a difference between the two scenarios. In one you have a game being exclusive for a month, where as the other is likely to be over a year.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 12-05-02 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 05:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Jeff, the point I was trying to make is console makers believe they are only competing amongst themselves, and not the PC market. They see it as apples and oranges, hence the "only on..." tag for console games that might also be coming out for the PC. That's just how they think, you can't explain it. If you call out MS for this tactic, call everyone out.

Now I can't preorder the supposed PS2 and GCN versions of this game, if I can't do that, they don't exist. Have they even been officially announced?

MS paid for this exclusivity period just like Sony paid Rockstar for GTAIII. Do you expect them to not take advantage of it?
Old 12-05-02, 05:47 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure the other versions have been officially anounced.

I'm also pretty sure I remember seeing "only on X-box" on the ads for Dead to Rights months back, and it's now on (or coming soon) to the other systems, and being advertised accordingly on TV.

It's probably just part of the time exclusivity agreement.
Old 12-05-02, 06:04 PM
Banned

I think its kinda pathetic that Microsoft actually has to use the line "Only on X-box" to sell their products. You don't see ads for GTA3 where it says "Only on Playstation 2"
Old 12-05-02, 06:13 PM
Retired

I don't think it's pathetic. Nintendo has long put an "only on" logo on their box art and ads.

I'm not sure why sony doesn't. Probably because they have a huge lead, that's there's to lose. No one will catch them unless they majorly screw up, ala Nintendo going with cartridges for the N64. If they hadn't done that, they'd still likely be on top.
Old 12-05-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
I think its kinda pathetic that Microsoft actually has to use the line "Only on X-box" to sell their products. You don't see ads for GTA3 where it says "Only on Playstation 2"
You don't?
Old 12-05-02, 06:18 PM
Shawn

Re: Splinter Cell ads carrying "Only on X-Box" tag

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
The conspiracy theorist in me is saying that Microsoft wants to intentionally mislead the public into to thinking this will be an exclusive and compel the more casual gamer to run out and grab an X-Box rather than waiting for the GameCube or PS2 version that's on the way.
First, every compay has done that. Second, have you ever said anything good about the Xbox? Basically every time I see your name in an Xbox thread, I know it's going to be anti-Xbox. Sony and Nintendo are not the "good guys" and Microsoft is the "bad guy" or something...I just don't understand it...

- Shawn
Old 12-05-02, 06:30 PM
Retired

Re: Re: Splinter Cell ads carrying "Only on X-Box" tag

Originally posted by Shawn
Second, have you ever said anything good about the Xbox? Basically every time I see your name in an Xbox thread, I know it's going to be anti-Xbox. Sony and Nintendo are not the "good guys" and Microsoft is the "bad guy" or something...I just don't understand it...
This kind of behavior is better ignored. I learned the hard way. Calling people out on stuff like that is just likely to exacerbate the problem and take the thread off topic. It's better to just note the people that you think post biasedly, and ignore their opinions IMO.
Old 12-05-02, 06:36 PM

Well, being a follower of MS practices in all markets for over a decade I can asure you that they are the "bad guys" when it comes to consumer choice. A choice which I and many feel is necessary for improvement.

I'm not going to lie about my bias, I never have. I realize you wern't directing your comment to me at all, I just thought I'd inject the truth behind my bias. but keep in mind, when evaluating software for consoles I do my best to leave the bias at the side and determine a games merits on just that, it's merits, not the hardware it's running on.

GP: I do expect MS to take advatage of it. I still think it's deceitful because it creates a false image to the average consumer. We can both agree that i the ad simply stated "Only on Xbox through Dec." it would be a lot less convincing.

Like Josh mentioned MS did this with Dead to Rights in Nov. where as the game could not be discussed on any other platforms until a certain date. It appears that MS having spent lots of money it trying to scale back by buying these "time windows" which appear at key shopping times of the year. (Xmas, thanksgiving) Their new strategy appears to be less of delivering exclusive content to xbox owners and more of one that simpley sells the console to new gamers who maybe don't know a game will be available on their GC or PS2.

Hey I'm no idiot. It's all "fair" in this buisness. I'm not saying MS needs to be sued for lying or anything. I just think it's deceitful, that's all. Sony is known for blowing specs way out of proportion and claiming that the PS2 has enough power to launch warfare from home. Nintendo has made crazy claims about the N64 hardware. They are all deceitful in their own way. I know there are many more examples for all of them.

So blah blah. I think you get what I'm saying.
Old 12-05-02, 06:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Splinter Cell ads carrying "Only on X-Box" tag

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
This kind of behavior is better ignored. I learned the hard way. Calling people out on stuff like that is just likely to exacerbate the problem and take the thread off topic. It's better to just note the people that you think post biasedly, and ignore their opinions IMO.
Good advice
Old 12-05-02, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First, every compay has done that. Second, have you ever said anything good about the Xbox? Basically every time I see your name in an Xbox thread, I know it's going to be anti-Xbox. Sony and Nintendo are not the "good guys" and Microsoft is the "bad guy" or something...I just don't understand it...
First of all, like yourself I have an OPINION. But that does not mean my opinion is "right" or "wrong". It is soley an opinion. But what I try to do is back it up with facts behind it.

For instance. I've said on other threads that I think Microsoft's X-Box division did not do an adequate job in securing some "big" titles. Does anyone here dispute that? If you can pull out a copy of Final Fantasy or GTA 3 for X-Box then I might be wrong and I'll admit it. If I say that all I hear people talk about for X-Box till now is Halo, can anyone hear dispute that? No matter who I talk to who owns an X-Box they always say "Halo is so awesome". This forum contains countless threads and posts by people who rave about Halo. And many other posters will agree with me.

I can understand alot of X-Box owners being defensive. I didn't create the Anti-Microsoft movement. Microsoft did that themselves. And many are probably tired of people "bashing the Box". However I haven't said anything here that's been in anyway different from any other poster. And these are only MY OPINIONS. And that in no way should diminish your or anyone elses enjoyment of whatever game system they have decided to buy. You've just decided to single me out. There-in lies the rub.

As for Microsoft being the "bad guys". Well I'm not crazy about their business practices but that's another story entirely.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 12-05-02 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 07:18 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
First of all, like yourself I have an OPINION. But that does not mean my opinion is "right" or "wrong". It is soley an opinion. But what I try to do is back it up with facts behind it.

For instance. I've said on other threads that I think Microsoft's X-Box division did not do an adequate job in securing some "big" titles. Does anyone here dispute that? If you can pull out a copy of Final Fantasy or GTA 3 for X-Box then I might be wrong and I'll admit it. If I say that all I hear people talk about for X-Box till now is Halo, can anyone hear dispute that? No matter who I talk to who owns an X-Box they always say "Halo is so awesome". This forum contains countless threads and posts by people who rave about Halo. And many other posters will agree with me.

I can understand alot of X-Box owners being defensive. I didn't create the Anti-Microsoft movement. Microsoft did that themselves. And many are probably tired of people "bashing the Box". However I haven't said anything here that's been in anyway different from any other poster. And these are only MY OPINIONS. And that in no way should diminish your or anyone elses enjoyment of whatever game system they have decided to buy. You've just decided to single me out. There-in lies the rub.

As for Microsoft being the "bad guys". Well I'm not crazy about their business practices but that's another story entirely.
Okay, I am truly sorry. I didn't want to post that, but everytime I see a thread talking about Microsoft being misleading and people making Sony and Nintendo out to be good, I get a little frustrated. I really am sorry though. I didn't mean to sound mean, but I did. I apologize.

Edited to add: Check your email. I thought I would apologize directly to you.

Last edited by Shawn; 12-05-02 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only an idiot will think that MS is the only big company's marketing department deceiving people.
Old 12-05-02, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Nefarious
This is a joke, right? I've played SC on Xbox and it doesn't look as good as MGS2:SOL for PS2 even. I highly doubt that the PS2 lacks the "power" to run Splinter Cell. What leads you to believe that it doesn't?

The Xbox has more power than the PS2. the only reason a game looks as good on the PS2 as it does on the X-box is because they programmed it for the PS2 and just ported it directly to the X-box without bothering to upgrade the graphics. I own a PS2, Game Cube and X-Box and enjoy all three but on a purely technical level the X-box is the better sytem, but we all know that the most powerful system is not always the best. I still don't believe they can duplicate splinter cell on the PS2 without watering it down a bit and I was never impressed with Metal Gear Solid.
Old 12-05-02, 08:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

Nefarious, did you happen to check out the port they did on the Wreckless? The PS2 has nice graphics, the Xbox has better graphics. Splinter Cell will definitely show this.
Old 12-05-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Shawn.

We all get a little reactionary at times. Sometimes we all forget this is supposed to be fun. Myself included.

So anyway let's all move on and enjoy the forum like we should.'

Old 12-05-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Into the fracas....

Fanboyism aside, I think technically they are not being misleading because it is on XBOX only right now. I figure it's sort of akin to Sony having the PS2 logo showing up at the end of PS2 exclusive games.

On a side note, I think the GC needs a better logo and some sound associated with it. I like the green XBOX logo and the way it kind of erupts from the black screen. I also like the sleek blue PS2 and that techno sound at the end of PS2 commercials. I can tell these are XBOX or PS2 ads just by the sound of the logos (if that makes any sense?)! GC needs something like that for "hipper" brand recognition IMHO. I guess they could use the sound from the GC boot up sequence, but it's a little cartoony for my tastes.

Sorry for the random rant.

Last edited by The Franchise; 12-05-02 at 09:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.