CTF mode for MechAssault!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATED!!!! CHECK LAST POST!

Just read this on IGN! Two new Mechs, CTF mode, and a new level! I just hope that they fix the Lobby, and that'll be awesome!

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/379/379306p1.html

December 04, 2002 - MechAssault hit store shelves less than a month ago, released simultaneously with Microsoft's online service Xbox Live. One half of the Live promise has been fulfilled -- hundreds of thousands of people are playing each other in head-to-head competition every day. But the promise of downloadable content has been about as closely kept as a promise from your deadbeat dad that he'll quit boozing. It's great to hear, but until it happens it's a big disappointment. Well, fear not. Though your dad may still be a slobbering drunk, you will have downloadable content soon!
Levels, items, and new characters for ToeJam & Earl III, brand new levels for Splinter Cell, and new content for NBA 2K3 and NFL 2K3 should be announced and available shortly. But the kick off for d/l content announcements comes from big daddy Microsoft themselves.

Beginning the first week of January, owners of MechAssault and Xbox Live will be able to download new content regularly. Specific dates for content was not announced, but we expect new content to be released over the next several months. Revealed today were two new mechs, the Corvus and Raven along with a new map, Hell's Kitchen.

Following the release of this new content, Microsoft will offer a new online game mode, Capture the Flag. Anyone who's ever played an online FPS already knows the rules. Each team has a base with a flag. Your goal is to grab their flag and return it to your base. Of course, you'll also have to worry about having your flag nicked by the enemy. Sure, you've played this plenty with Unreal Championship, but come on now, we're talking Capture the Flag with mechs. You may now celebrate.

Details of how content will be downloaded, when specific content will be available, and whether this content will be available offline at any point were not given. However, we'll have more (yup, more!) on MechAssault downloadable content later today, so keep your eyes peeled. For now, check out what we do have: A new level and two new mechs.

Hell's Kitchen
The Irish district of New York? Uh, no. This area will look familiar to all those who worked through the single-player campaign in MechAssault. Though we're not certain how exact a replica the map will be, it sure looks an awful lot like the area you have to sneak into as an elemental. A map with endless amount of heat and no water should hamper those playing the powerful but overheating Mad Cat.

Last edited by goLUCKY; 12-11-02 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 02:34 PM

more confirmation!

http://www.avault.com/news/displayne...1242002-135229
Old 12-04-02, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news! This makes an already fun game just that much better... and a better value!
Old 12-04-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
I hope it's up soon. I actually did check last night, and it said nothing was available for download yet.
Old 12-04-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Penny Arcade says January. Whether that is speculation or not is anyone's guess.
Old 12-04-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I still haven't had a chance to play MA, but from the sounds of the game, it seems that a really cool game type would be kinda like capture the flag but different. -- Each team has a base with some large building. The objective is to destroy the other team's building/base in a certain amount of time without losing their own. Is there anything like that currently? Any opinions on something like that?

Tuan Jim
Old 12-04-02, 02:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

I just checked, not available yet, but this is what I wanted to hear! CTF should make the Elemental a useful mech for once.
Old 12-04-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
I agree. I hate it when I join a game and everyone is just using the biggest mechs they can, and think they're good at the game. That's when I grab my cougar, run circles around them, and make them look foolish.
Old 12-04-02, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I just checked, not available yet, but this is what I wanted to hear! CTF should make the Elemental a useful mech for once.
Think first week of January!
Old 12-04-02, 03:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

That's what I get for only reading the first sentence.
Old 12-04-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The real question is, how much is this going to cost? All this goodness can't be free. Most updates like this on the PC are free but, Micro$oft is not know for giving out free stuff.
Old 12-04-02, 05:14 PM

It's free!

from AdrenilneVault.com Players with Xbox Live will be able to access the new content at no additional charge.
Old 12-05-02, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This will definately get me to play MA online more. It needed a more strategic mode of online play to complement the default 'slugfest' modes.
Old 12-05-02, 08:38 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by edstein
The real question is, how much is this going to cost? All this goodness can't be free. Most updates like this on the PC are free but, Micro$oft is not know for giving out free stuff.
Even before seeing goLucky's post, I would have thought this would be free. It's great PR for XBOX Live and may help convince those who are sitting on the fence about going Live.

I think it was mentioned before that we could expect free content initially. MS will wait to charge for additional content until the subscriber base is larger and we are all hooked on this form of broadband crack.
Old 12-05-02, 10:54 AM

This is definitely free, but I too think they will move to charging for downloading content in the future once LIVE picks up. Or at the least, charge for booster/add-on discs for a minimal price.
Old 12-11-02, 05:23 PM

Update from xbox.ign.com

December 05, 2002
- Yesterday Microsoft announced they would begin releasing downloadable content for MechAssault in January. We spoke with Steve Fowler, Product Manager for the hundred-ton mech game to clear up some questions about downloadable content and MechAssault. Here's what we learned:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content saved onto hard drive
Everything you download can be deleted from your hard drive at any time. You can also copy saves (if your memory card is big enough) and take them to a friend's house.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You must download the content to enjoy it online
If you haven't downloaded a new map or game type, you will see games with the map and game type online but won't be able to enter. But, uh, why the hell wouldn't you download this stuff, it's free!

Downloaded content can be used offline
You can download content through Xbox Live and use all of it in offline multiplayer. So you can download Capture the Flag, various maps, and new mechs and use them against your buddies in split-screen or system link.

Those without Xbox Live won't be left behind
If you don't have Xbox Live, all of the online content will be made available to all gamers. The method for delivery hasn't been decided yet, but the content won't be offered until after it's available for download on Xbox Live.

Are they gonna fix the interface?
Likely. Microsoft realizes the Xbox Live lobbies aren't perfect and could be better, but the MechAssault team must work with the Xbox Live team to help create a more suitable interface. It's not bad as it is, but it should get better in a few months.

We also learned about much of the planned downloadable content. From January 1 to the end of March, gamers will enjoy a slew of downloadable MechAssault content. There may be even more planned than what's presented here, but Microsoft isn't saying what else may be in store for gamers beyond March.
New Years Day, the first of eight new maps will be released. Hell's Kitchen will be usable for all game types both on and offline. The plan is to follow each week or every other week with another piece of content. here's the order of all content as it's currently planned:

Hell's Kitchen map - Fiery map with electrical plants and large pools of lava
Raven mech - Fast mech with cloaking ability
Stone Cold map- Heavy industrial area covered in snow
Capture the Flag game type - Snag the enemies flag and return it to your base!
Two maps only for Capture the Flag - These will either be released with CTF or shortly afterwards
Loki mech - Heavy guns and armor
Hellbringer mech - Variant of the Loki
Objective Raid game type - Details to be released Defend the Base missions??????
Two maps only for use with Objective Raid - These will either be released with the new game type or shortly afterwards
Two additional maps - Details on these to be released
Old 12-11-02, 05:49 PM

Old 12-11-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Crizzar
Yeah, what he said.