Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Disney treasures?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney treasures?

I got the goofy one cause...well..goofy kicks butt.

how are they others though? the mickey one looks like it could be either great or lame.
Old 12-13-02, 10:25 AM
Cool New Member

Depends on how big of a Disney fan you are. To me, they are like a little treasure. I would say they are for you if you have a strong sense of nostalgia. I would definitly not buy them for kiddies to watch. They are aimed at Adults. But, I can see, if you are not a big fan, where you'll find these sets totaly self congratulory. It does get old hearing how great and what a visionary Mr Disney is, over and over again.
Old 12-13-02, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mikes0765
It does get old hearing how great and what a visionary Mr Disney is, over and over again.
But if that annoys you just skip over the Maltin ass kissing and watch the toons. Mickey Mouse In Black and White is amazing and includes lots of great outhouse humor, drinking, smoking, and animal torture that you would (not) expect from Mickey.
Old 12-13-02, 11:29 PM
Banned

Yeppers... I'm no Disney fan (absolutely could not stand it without ample doses of anti-Disney near by), but I confess to buying both the Mickey in B&W and the Silly Symphonies. One of the fun things about Mickey in B&W if you're a Simpson's fan is you can very much see what Groening often parodied (animation style and mood-wise). Beautifully mastered discs of great animation. These are the only two I've had real interest in so far though. I'd guess you can safely buy these like you would a limited Criterion... you'll at least get cost back if you want to sell it later.
Old 12-14-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what comes on the silly symphonies that is any good?
Old 12-15-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by namrufmot
what comes on the silly symphonies that is any good?
Have you ever seen the "Old Mill"? This is the first Muti-plane filming that has been done for a cartoon. Disney came up with this idea, it gives a 3D look while characters are walking through trees/forest...The process was tested in The Old Mill and then used in Snow White.

I found Silly Symphonies to truely historic, but some times a little to relaxing (not boring).
Old 12-15-02, 01:38 PM
Banned

Silly Symphonies were meant as experiments for putting drawn images to music. If you've seen the Snow White disc, the Goddess of Spring short included there is one of the better ones. Like Iron Giant said, they can drift at times but not necessarily in a bad way (would probably go well as background imagery at a stoner party). Some can be treacly and cute. Cynic that I am, even I don't vomit at the likes of Water Babies or Wynkin Blynkin and Nod, but instead tend to take them for what they are and enjoy the visuals.

My favorites are unsurprisingly in the Accent On Music section where the images to music experimenting is allowed more to the forefront and things get more abstract.