Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Faith Hill doesn't do it for me anymore.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-04-02, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

I was just listening to Cry and she went completely off Country. My favorite album of hers will always be "It Matters to Me." But Cry doesn't do it for me.

I have nothing against expanding... but it just seems the "cool" thing to do to leave Country and go Pop. If everyone leaves who's going to be left? We're going to have less good people and shorter careers with less songs.

It does seem she wants to separate her image from McGraw's... doesn't she usually gush in her Thank You's about how the album and life wouldn't be the same without him? Not a peep in this one.

P.S. I love Shania Twain's "Up," so it isn't ragging on anyone who crosses over. Maybe Hill just was born to do Country.
Old 12-04-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like her new album that much. I also have no problem with her cross-over. It just seems like she's going into that adult contemporary territory.

My favorite is "Faith".
Old 12-04-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah. Perhaps she should've released "Cry" as three different versions. All of them with multiple "!" in the title.

Back on topic...If she doesn't do anything for you anymore GatorDeb, you can send her my way. I got some things she can do.
Old 12-04-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One more note: Her CD cover (Cry) is on the way to resembling Britney Spear's and Christina Aguilera's covers. She's going from wholesome to "dirrrty." I hope she doesn't show even more skin in the next album.
Old 12-04-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMO none of these so-called "Modern Country" female singers (or males, for that matter) are worth a damn. They only get their fame from their looks, their talent is mediocre and tons of money gets lavished on them in the studios and promotional machines. You listen to any of the old-time Country songstresses and they blow them out of the water--they performed better material with more soul and raw talent (i.e. Tammy Wynette, Dolly Parton, etc.).
Old 12-04-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts
she can do me, ANYTIME....huh wrong place...lol
Old 12-04-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Jepthah
IMO none of these so-called "Modern Country" female singers (or males, for that matter) are worth a damn. They only get their fame from their looks, their talent is mediocre and tons of money gets lavished on them in the studios and promotional machines. You listen to any of the old-time Country songstresses and they blow them out of the water--they performed better material with more soul and raw talent (i.e. Tammy Wynette, Dolly Parton, etc.).
Gotta agree with the sentiment. But I do think Faith has a good voice. I suppose every genre is subject to some sort of change so it varies from "your parents music".

Also, I don't know much about Tammy [as far as music, personality, etc] and country really isn't a genre I run out to listen to, but from what i've seen I love Dolly's personality.

Last edited by Rogue588; 12-04-02 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know what's funny, I started out with Country back in 1990 and around 1999 I made a pop mix disc for a kickboxing instructor and since I had to listen to the music, I got hooked. I've been on pop ever since, and don't listen to country anymore.

I listen to Kiss FM which does broadcast more than pop since they do a lot of Eminem and Missy Elliot along with others, so they do some pop, R&B, hip-hop, and rap.

My recent purchases: Pink, Avril Levigne, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake Justified, The Eminem Show, so that just show the kind of music they play
Old 12-04-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by conscience
These singers just want more money. They give in and do what they can to get as much money as possible. They say they don't want to abandon their "roots" or any of their fans but that is all I am seeing. (Even though CMT plays their music.)
Yep. I remember seeing one of the Dixie Chicks proclaim during an interview that she didn't like Country music.
I was glad to see that she was doing the different genre discs. I got the album, listened to both versions and only found minor differences

Hell, the pop version of I'm Gonna Getcha Good has more of the fiddle than the country version...
Did you hear the "World" [blue disc] version yet?
Old 12-04-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Cry" is an album that Mariah Carey could have done in her sleep, the songs on this album more suited for someone with higher registers than Faith Hill possesses. Faith struggles on many of the songs on this album, and I'll bet she sounds flat in live performances of the songs from this album as well.
Old 12-04-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Patman
"Cry" is an album that Mariah Carey could have done in her sleep, the songs on this album more suited for someone with higher registers than Faith Hill possesses.
I'm assuming you haven't heard charmbracelet yet? Any signs that Mariah had a voice are long gone for a couple years now.

But i'll tell ya, she can whisper a song better than anyone I ever heard...*

[* Not that i'm sticking up for Faith. IMO it's a bad comparison.]
Old 12-04-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by conscience
I don't understand.

Since you love "pop" music so much now, I can't believe you don't like Cry. You just said you don't like this latest pop album, but you do like her previous country album It Matters to Me...and you don't listen to country anymore?

Weird.

That was my point, that I think Hill cannot do pop. I love pop but Hill just can't do it, I hated Cry (the whole album). And just because I like pop doesn't mean I can't like country It Matters to Me is still a favorite.
Old 12-04-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Today's country music is pretty much the new pop music (that isn't already hip-hop or cheesey r+b.)

And the cover Faith Hill's new album does look like Britney Spears. Hell, I saw a poster of it in a store and thought that it was Britney Spears!
Old 12-04-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Country is going to hell. You have groups like Emerson Drive and Rascal Flatts that look like the friggin Backstreet Boys but with cheesier songs. Faith went pop with "This Kiss" and "How you love me" Shania went Pop last album and Tim Mcgraw? I don't know what the hell happened to him but if I hear "Red Rag Top" one more time I'm going to rip the radio apart. No one wants to hear a song about you forcing your G/F to get an abortion and then regreting it Tim.

I'm glad Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, and others like them are still keeping it "real". I'll take an old George Strait album over ten new country albums any day.
Old 12-05-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GatorDeb
That was my point, that I think Hill cannot do pop. I love pop but Hill just can't do it, I hated Cry (the whole album). And just because I like pop doesn't mean I can't like country It Matters to Me is still a favorite.
Oh I wasn't leaning toward stating that if you like pop then automatically you don't like country.

I just didn't understand where you were going with what you said. It rambled to me...(and to top it off, me a rambler, can't understand other ramblers)

And yes....Cry is an awful album.
Old 12-05-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno, but I can do without the Faith Hills and Tim McGraws. I'll take Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and the other outlaws any day.
Old 12-05-02, 03:53 PM
Cool New Member

Does anyone listen to artists like Iris Dement?

I'm not much of a country fan. A heard her music from a friend of mine. She sounds like old style country. Evidently there are many country artists who are shunning the popular country/pop crossover sound in favor of this very traditional sound.

But what really surprised me if that she sells a decent amount of albums. I'm not talking Shania Twain type sales, but Iris Dement is selling a respectable amount of cd's. And I don't believe she gets much airplay.

I had no idea there was an 'underground country' scene, but it appears that there is. Who is buying this type of music? Is it popular in college towns?

Mark
Old 04-12-11, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Re: Faith Hill doesn't do it for me anymore.

What happened to her? I thought she would be like one of those mega superstar artists like Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Christina Aguilera whose albums always crack the top 10 in the billboard charts?

Did people tire of her or was her talent limited and she got lucky in the 90's and fans left her in the 2000's?

Now she is known for this now.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AlObQC5jsWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 04-12-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
What happened to her? I thought she would be like one of those mega superstar artists like Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Christina Aguilera whose albums always crack the top 10 in the billboard charts?
You just have a helluva time picking artists with staying power. I mean, Christina Aguilera?
Old 04-12-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always watch the SNF intro.
Old 04-12-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

You just have a helluva time picking artists with staying power. I mean, Christina Aguilera?
I don't like her but she has been around since 1999 and she is still relevant unforunately
Old 04-12-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Today's country music is pretty much the new pop music (that isn't already hip-hop or cheesey r+b.)
Yeah, country music hasn't been truly country for several decades. It's just pop music sung with a bit of a twang or while wearing a cowboy hat.
Old 04-12-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

She still does it for me...her music doesn't though.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yeah, country music hasn't been truly country for several decades. It's just pop music sung with a bit of a twang or while wearing a cowboy hat.
Yep, I've been saying that for a few years now.

If anyone is interested in new, pretty traditional sounding country, I can't recommend Jamey Johnson enough.
Old 04-12-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm wondering more what ever happened to the OP, Gatordeb. Anyone remember the amazing weight loss thread in Otter? Oh that was epic. Up there with no date in 4 1/2 years.
Old 04-12-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
I'm wondering more what ever happened to the OP, Gatordeb.
She's still an active member. Your stalking powers need adjustment.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.