Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox LIVE game lifespan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox LIVE game lifespan?

I thought about it the other day and wondered how long Xbox will support individual game titles.

In other words, When will a game like Mechassault be nonplayable on LIVE? How long is it's expected lifespan?

My guess would be the obvious, (when a sequel comes out), but what about those games that won't have sequels?
Old 12-04-02, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Why would they take MA off XboxLive when the sequel comes out? I don't think they'll end up doing anything like that due to the inevitable fact that some subscribers would end up getting screwed. Yes, it is their bandwidth -- unlike say the folks who still play quake, q2 and whatnot even though Q3 is out, but since it's a pay per play service, I don't think they'll risk the alienation.

Tuan Jim
Old 12-04-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would imagine that as long as people are playing the games they will leave them on. Sports games would be the exception. I can see them stopping the sports games after the new one comes out.
Old 12-04-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the back of some sports games there is a message about online support for a year. I remember seeing it on the back of Tiger woods, but that's not a true Xboxlive game. I would say that two years would be that max for most games.
Old 12-04-02, 10:21 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Interesting thread.

Rather than force people to upgrade to the latest version of a sports title, perhaps they will offer downloadable content (for a fee) to make a 2002 version compatible with a 2003 version.

It would be pretty sleazy marketing not to continue supporting live play on older titles and expect everyone to purchase the latest version. They should at least offer a downloadable upgrade (for less than $25) if they will no longer support the older version.

At this early stage of the game, I don't think MS would risk the chance of hindering Live's growth by forcing the users to repurchase title upgrades at the full retail price ($50). However, this may occur in the future when their subscriber base reaches a certain point.
Old 12-04-02, 10:37 AM

I would imagine that as long as people are playing the games they will leave them on. Sports games would be the exception. I can see them stopping the sports games after the new one comes out.
My words exactly.
Old 12-04-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't buy any of next year's sports games just so I could keep playing them on Live. I would cancel my Live account if they quit supporting the current batch when the new ones came out. And I bought a second Xbox just so I could play online, since my other box got banned for having a modchip because I use it to play emulators.

There's barely a difference between NFL Live 2002 and 2003 other than online play. I wouldn't see the point in buying 2004. They should support every game as long as Xbox Live exists. If there aren't many people playing it, then it's not using up many resources.
Old 12-04-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Madden for PS2 had a note saying that it would only be supported online for one year... but then they don't have people paying for the service like Live... so maybe that will be different.