Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JVC XV-S500BK (Excessive Over-Scan)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question for you guys. Have any of you noticed excessive over-scan with this dvd player? I seem to be losing about 5% of the picture on all sides (I can tell because I can zoom out and see what I'm missing).

Is there a way that I can fix this myself?

Also, does this JVC model have a way to manually go in and use an x-y scaling method instead of the 10% zoom in/out feature?

Jason
Old 12-03-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Are you sure it's the DVD player and not your TV? Have you tried the same disc in another DVD player on the same TV?
Old 12-03-02, 04:14 PM
mdX

dvd players don't overscan - TVs do. and there is no X-Y scaling with the s500. best bet is to go into your tv's service menu and reduce the overscan using Avia or VE
Old 12-03-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mdX
best bet is to go into your tv's service menu and reduce the overscan using Avia or VE
I would like to emphasize that using your TV's service menu is not a good idea unless you know exactly what you are doing in there.
Old 12-13-02, 11:27 AM
mmt

I wouldn't want to go into my TV cus I definitely wouldn't know what I was doing.

As I watch alot of old classic movies on DVD tho, I'm very interested in a DVD player that can zoom out and "windowbox" the picture so you can eliminate the overscan and see the whole movie, including the edges. Sight and Sound mentioned the JVC XV-s500BK. Is that an expensive model? Are there any others that can be bought in the U.S.? I recently purchased a Shinsonic 3838 for it's region-free capability and because it listed a "unique zoom function" among it's features. I assumed this was a windowboxing feature, so I took it home and found out there was no windowboxing, zoom-out feature. Isn't this a case of false advertising? When I complained to the store managers they apologized, but looked at me like I was some kind of dweeb for caring about such a thing.

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-13-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't believe the JVC has the zoom out. I may be wrong about that, though.

I recommend the Malata DVP-520. Amazing zoom on the Malatas. Zoom in, zoom out, do anything you want in any increment you want all the way down to the individual pixel level.
Old 12-15-02, 11:33 AM
mmt

Thanks for the info. I see on the Net that the Malata DVP-566 has all the same features as the 520 only it's about $100 cheaper. I'll have to see if Malatas can be bought in U.S. stores. I don't particularly like ordering stuff over the Net.

BTW, I tested the JVC XV-s500BK. It does have the zoom-out, but it's not adjustable and it's too extreme - shrinks half the picture.