Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Taken - 12/2

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Official No Threadcrap Taken Thread

Please use spoiler tags when appropriate. I don’t think those who own this forum will allow a thread-per-night approach to clutter their forum, especially considering all the reruns that need to be discussed.

Please! No anti-SciFi bullcrap. das, if you want to take down names, knock yourself out.
Old 12-03-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don’t know what to think about this. It seems confused and disjointed. I keep reminding myself that this is a looooong miniseries, but this is TV. If they’re trying for an artsy-fartsy approach, I think they’ve decided on the wrong medium.

One thing that bothered me: has the smoking in this show broken any records? Hell, I halfway expected the kids to fire one up.
Old 12-03-02, 11:26 AM
Banned

We will protest!!!
Old 12-03-02, 11:32 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I am officially confused by this thread.
Old 12-03-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Threadcrap? Bullcrap? The other thread was a merged discussion about Sci-Fi airing the show not the show itself. I already posted in the other thread that I wouldn't post anything negative in the actual content discussion threads, so it's incredibly rude and uncalled for to single me out and preemptively accuse us of threadcrapping.

Perhaps you could try again by starting a less hostile thread and avoid the soon-to-occur argument about the argument.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 12-03-02 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-03-02, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with you Wizdar, das was the king in
Old 12-03-02, 01:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please note Dead's post in the following thread

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...3&pagenumber=2

after this thread was started. Merging the original two threads may not have been one of my smartest ideas... I just figured that the two threads were of a more general nature about the series and that they'd go fine together.

I'm going to make this into the 12/2 Taken thread... feel free to start other threads about each individual show.

Also, let's please try to stay on topic, and be civil with each other. If you don't agree with another member, that's fine, and you're entitled, but let's not hold grudges against each other from past threads/arguments. And if someone breaks a rule, report him, and then leave it alone... don't post about it.

Alright, play ball.
Old 12-03-02, 01:24 PM
Banned

I gave up after just an hour last night. Some very annoying things about Taken:

-Little girl narrator. I wanted her to shut up.
-Very SLOOOOW pacing
-Chain Smoking lady
-Too Hokey, some parts seemed like a Hallmark commercial (YUCK!)
-'The Stranger' was not believable

Maybe it will get better, but somehow I doubt it.
Old 12-03-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are there any reviews for this miniseries online? I just did a search (admitedly a quick one... I didn't look too hard) and I couldn't find any. I heard that USA Today trashed it, but I can't find that online either.

Even Sci-Fi's own "Science Fiction Weekly" column didn't cover it. They usually review made-for-SciFi stuff on the week it comes out. Did they not provide the show in advance for reviewers?
Old 12-03-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The NY Daily News gave the series a good review, and said that the 2nd installment is the one that should convince us to stick with it ..... so we'll see.

I thought the first night was okay - nothing special, but I wasn't bored.
Old 12-03-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I thought that it was a pretty good miniseries, but keep in mind that I don't usually watch miniseries and none of HBO's.

I liked the feel of the show. it really has a close encounters of the third kind feel. It did seem hard to follow but got better. I am looking forward to the next installments.

I really liked the opening sequence. It was a good opener for a movie let alone a miniseries. I thought that the SFX were quite well done for a miniseries.

What do you supposed happened to the father and the boyscouts. the guy said that he "took care of it". hmmm.....

*edit*
How about we put the episode number as well as the date since many of the episodes are reairing on different days. okay that's all.

Last edited by tanman; 12-03-02 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Found the USA Today review online:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...atoday/4664886

And here's a site that's doing sort of a stream-of-conciousness review of each night as they air:
http://www.flickfilosopher.com/flick...02/taken.shtml

I was holding off for an eventual DVD rental/purchase of this, but it really just doesn't look good enough to me to invest nearly a day of my life.
Old 12-04-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it just me or does the opening credit sequence remind anyone else of Amazing Stories? That was a great show, man.
Old 12-05-02, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
so are we not using anymore threads? I don't want to start one if noone is going to use it. I just watched the third one and it seems to be shaping up pretty good. I enjoy it anyways. I thought you guys were being over critical about the smoking thing but man...they really do light up constantly. but then again more people did smoke back then.
Old 12-05-02, 02:45 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
so are we not using anymore threads? I don't want to start one if noone is going to use it. I just watched the third one and it seems to be shaping up pretty good. I enjoy it anyways. I thought you guys were being over critical about the smoking thing but man...they really do light up constantly. but then again more people did smoke back then.
I think it's allright if you you start a new thread. I just watched the 3rd ep also. I agree it's coming together. A huge improvment over the first episode. I hope we get to find out what Jacob shows everyone that freaks them out.
Spoiler:
I wonder if they're going to have Col. Crawford somehow involved in the JFK assination. They've hinted at it in tonight's episode and he's proved he'll take anyone out that gets in his way.
Old 12-05-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No big surprises here, but The Digital Bits is reporting that Dreamworks is planning a DVD release for 2003. Again, not a shocker, but this is the first sort of confirmation I've heard.
Old 12-05-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MrX
I hope we get to find out what Jacob shows everyone that freaks them out.
Spoiler:
Basically Jacob shows them they're deaths.
Old 12-05-02, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by MrX
I think it's allright if you you start a new thread. I just watched the 3rd ep also. I agree it's coming together. A huge improvment over the first episode. I hope we get to find out what Jacob shows everyone that freaks them out.
Spoiler:
I wonder if they're going to have Col. Crawford somehow involved in the JFK assination. They've hinted at it in tonight's episode and he's proved he'll take anyone out that gets in his way.
Spoiler:
I think it's pretty clear that Crawford will have a hand in the assasination. That maybe one of my complaints as plot points are somewhat obvious, and major events during this timeline will somehow be related to alien conspiracy. Also what Jacob does I think is explained by the German doctor, All of your memories, all at once is what he said in german to Crawford just before he died. So I think that is what happens Jacob looks at people.
Old 12-05-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 3rd show was the best so far.

I agree with every spoiler above. Looks like they are going to tie in alot of major events in history to the Aliens.

My wife and I are both looking forward to whats going to happen to Crawford. They guy one of the worst/best bad guys I have ever seen on TV, he is very powerful with the "Dark Side".
Old 12-05-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I set my TiVo to record them and decided that if I saw them, I saw them. Then I got home from work early and watched all 3 episodes back to back to back, and now I can't wait for the rest. It is getting better with each episode. Something this long takes a while to get moving, but I think it's pretty good now. I agree Iron_Giant, Crawford is a great bad guy
Old 12-06-02, 02:04 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Just watched the 4th episode. Thought it was weak. It didn't flow with the story like the others have.

The Alaska story was a waste. Way to much time on it to kill the lone twin 5 minutes after he's revealed.

Could they have at least tried to find an actor who looked like the Jesse from the last episode? The nurse he's with gets a

To bad they killed Crawford, he was one of the few interesting characters on the show. Looks like his son and Jacob are going to square off.
Old 12-06-02, 09:39 AM
Banned

Still entertained so far... not overwhelmed, but I'm enjoying it. Yes, Crawford will be missed. His son isn't at all as much fun to hate (and not as well acted).

My main gripes?
1 - That increasingly annoying voice-over.
2 - The new station id is one of the most distracting on cable. It will truly be a factor in future viewing decisions for myself.
3 - The ad breaks are ridiculously frequent and lengthy. I don't think I'd watch this if I weren't recording it.
Old 12-06-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only seen the first one so far (recorded the others). I really liked the 1st episode. Can't wait to see the others. So far, I'm impressed.
Old 12-06-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Crawford's sons death was very surprising. This reminds me of Band of Brothers, anyone can and will die at any time.

Question: One of the Towns People said one of the Alien treid to show off his powers at 16 years old. How can that be when the Father of the girl who gave birth to the twins said she got pregnant in 1958 (or 1959), which was 12 years before. Did anyone catch that statement also and record the show so they can listen to it again. I guess I can record the same show tonight before the new show starts.
Old 12-07-02, 11:41 AM
Banned

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was six years old, not sixteen, Iron Giant. In any case, I don't think there was an incongruity there.

5 was a very good episode... splashy finish and all. I liked the younger Crawford's character development and especially the new uber villain played by Matt Frewer. Still promising to not end up being the kitchen sink of loose threaded cliches that linked article criticised it to be... will find out next week I guess.

Granted, after reading back on some of the complaints about sci-fi channel, I understand more where they are coming from. I only watched the channel occasionally, but it DOES seem less niche oriented, less specific... and with the introduction of garbage like the Dream Team, a bit crass in their quest for ratings.

However... Taken is just too much fun to boycott publicly AND privately. So I hope all you sci-fiers are enjoying it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.