Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Would you buy this 16x9 HDTV if it was refurbished?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a seller on Amazon with a very good rating offering the Toshiba 57H81B for about $1,700.

The reviews of the H82 are all that I've seen, but they look very close. And the H82 is about $500 more.

Would anyone else buy a TV like this? How risky is it or am I worrying needlessly like for an open box item at Circuit City that works just as well as the brand new item.

I can't seem to find anything else close to as good as this deal and this is just about my limit in money to spend. To get even close, I think I'd need to go to the Panasonic 53" and I've heard this 57" is better.

Would anyone please comment on what they think I should do? Or about the choices in TVs?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-02, 05:41 PM

Probably not. HDTV's are extremely difficult to buy refurbished, since they're succeptable to burn in and other problems. Also, the H82's are a lot better than the H81's. They've improved the tubes quite a bit for this current model year.

Considering the 57H82 is $1829 plus shipping, you may want to consider spending the extra money.
Old 12-02-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gotapex
Probably not. HDTV's are extremely difficult to buy refurbished, since they're succeptable to burn in and other problems. Also, the H82's are a lot better than the H81's. They've improved the tubes quite a bit for this current model year.

Considering the 57H82 is $1829 plus shipping, you may want to consider spending the extra money.
where on amazon did you see the 57h82 for $1,829? i'd spend that for the newer one. thanks.

ps-does the top of this model have room for a dvd player or is it one of the ultra thin tops?
Old 12-02-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gotapex

Please, where do you see that tv for that price?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

only if it had a great warrenty that i trusted
Old 12-03-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
And only if I could see it first.
Old 12-03-02, 12:18 PM

Onecall has/had the 57H82 for $1879 + shipping - $60 coupon. I'm not sure if this deal is still available, but the details can be seen under the December 02 listings of the deals at GotApex (www.gotapex.com).