Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I hate "nu-metal"!! [pointless rant]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-30-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

So I'm out with friends last night and one of my buddies brings along a girl that he was going to set me up with. So I get to talking, shes totally cute and very cool btw. Now we're talking about music:

me: So what music you listen to?
her: Oh I love metal
me: no way! I'm so into metal. (I'm totally surprised because well metal girls are a dieing breed)
her: cool what bands?
me: well I like Soilwork, God Forbid, Dissection, Opeth, Ulver etc.
her:
me: How about you?
her: Well I like Korn and Linkin Park mostly, and some disturbed
me: oh I see (when I really meant AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!)

Anyway the point to this pointless thread is that I hate bands like Linkin Park, Korn, Disturbed, that have been dubbed "metal" or "nu-metal", if gives us REAL metal fans bad names. I'm not saying these bands are bad or anything, hell I've been know to listen to a few songs by them once in awhile. I'm just saying they aren't "metal".

I honestly would rather see the mainstream music world filled with Britneys, Backstreet Boys, Eminems and Blink 182's (all of which are a-okay in my book) then "nu-metal"

Oh yeah and I'm seeing this girl tonight, alone.
Old 11-30-02, 02:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just call me "oldschool"....

.... the irony here is that I would define around half of my CD collection as falling within the hard/heavy rock/metal musical genre and yet.... I possess nothing by the bands you mention and, indeed, have never heard of any of them.

It begs a philosophical question that I think is to complicated for me to frame. So I won't

Last edited by benedict; 11-30-02 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-30-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Benedict, what are some of those bands that fall into the metal genre?

Is it bands like Iron Maiden, Pantera, Metallica?
Old 11-30-02, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar conversation with my ex. She asked me who my favorite artist was and I said Tool. She proceedes to say "they suck, if you want real metal listen to Limp Bizkit, they make you want to go crazy" I said to her "since when is Tool considered metal?" Her: "Learn something about music then come back and talk to me." I really had to bite my tounge from calling her the biggest MTV sheep idiot that ever existed. Though looking back now I wish I would have, stupid bitch.
Old 11-30-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did someone mention limp biscuit?
Old 11-30-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Goat, since I haven't even heard of any of the bands you mentioned, could you explain what they are like, and how they are so different from popular groups like disturbed? Is it merely the fact that these bands are popular that makes you hate them? What makes you a "REAL" metal fan? The fact that you like obscure, non-mainstream bands? What about bands like System of a Down, Nonpoint, or Tool? Are these "nu-metal"?

EDIT and BTW, anyone who says Limp Bizkit is metal (with the exception of their first album) needs to have their head examined.

Last edited by caiman; 11-30-02 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-30-02, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Tool is not metal...period, especially "nu metal", they have been around since 1991.
Old 11-30-02, 05:17 PM
Suspended

I equate nu-metal with the new rock bands that MTV plays continuesly. Acts like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mud, P.O.D., Hoobastank, etc. Bands that sound way to processed and teen friendly put together by some record label.
Old 11-30-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
I don't even like Tool, but they sure beat the crap out of those little limp biscuit bastards.
Old 11-30-02, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
I equate nu-metal with the new rock bands that MTV plays continuesly. Acts like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mud, P.O.D., Hoobastank, etc. Bands that sound way to processed and teen friendly put together by some record label.
Just out of curiousity, where would you place System of a Down?
Old 11-30-02, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by caiman
Just out of curiousity, where would you place System of a Down?
I dont know. I've known them from back when they played the local club scene in Hollywood. I like their music, but I think they get associated with these other new acts because MTV & radio over plays them. They definetly did not have that "teen crowd" feel to them back in the day when I first saw them.
Old 11-30-02, 05:48 PM

Re: I hate "nu-metal"!! [pointless rant]

Originally posted by Goat3001

me: well I like Soilwork, God Forbid, Dissection, Opeth, Ulver etc.
Put me in the list with the other people here who have never heard of any of these groups. By their names, I'd guess they are all death metal, or speed metal, which I hold in about the same regard as you do nu-metal. (I pretty much hate nu-metal, too.)
Old 11-30-02, 05:56 PM

I'm starting to soften a little about these nu-metal bands. I'm not saying that they're all good, but some seem to be getting a little better. I actually like the new Disturbed album and have played it a few times. I'll even admit to liking one Linkin Park song. But I don't forsee myself owning a Limp Bizkit album anytime soon. When it comes to metal, my preferences run toward Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Witchery, old Metallica, King Diamond, old thrash, etc... If I'm in the mood, I listen to black metal as well: Opeth, Cradle of Filth, Darkthrone, etc...
Old 11-30-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Mad Monk and Caiman

Yeah those bands I've mentioned are pretty obscue with the exception of Opeth which I thought a lot of people knew about. The only way to explain it is that compared to Disturbed and Korn, those bands are just better (IMO of course, I'm not hating if you're a nu-metal fan). Its heavier, harder and more melodic (especially Soilwork and Opeth) and most of all more fun. The best way to explain it is to give you a few choice songs to listen to. Most will hear a differance, but I can't promise that you'll like it.

Heres a few: I'll even throw in a more specific genre:

Soilwork- The Bringer (melodic metal)
Dissection- Where Dead Angels Lie (melodic death metal)
Opeth- Blackwater Park (melodic/AWESOME metal )
Cryptopsy- Phobophile (death metal)
Ulver- Wolf and Fear (black metal)
From Autumn To Ashes- Short Stories With A Tragic Ending (emocore)

And the fact that bands like Korn and Linkin Park are popular have nothing to do with it. Yes it is annoying that I you hear the same thing all the time on the radio but it doesn't bother me if its mainstream. I just like this other stuff better, a lot better. And metal is a genre thats been defined by like Metallica and Iron Maiden, and black metal bands such as Emperor and Mayhem. And death metal such as Obituary and Slayer. And when they put Disturbed in the same class as one of those its rather annoying. If you're a fan of other types of music such as punk, I wouldn't be surprised if you felt the same way about Blink 182 as I do about those nu-metal bands I listed.

System of a Down and Tool both belong in their own category. I think a lot of times they are thrown in the nu-metal mix, but for the most part they're better for various reasons. They aren't metal, but they aren't nu-metal either.

MJKTool, You're ex has problems
Old 11-30-02, 06:15 PM

I've had the same experiences several times as well. While there is an ever shrinking fine line between metal & nu-metal music- as the later pushes the boundaries of "heaviness" accepted by the mainstream audience all the time. I remind myself "to each his own" but I do believe there is a real difference between "metal" & "nu-metal". In a nutshell, metal being heavier music for purely artistic reasons and total disregard to radio, MTV or any current musical fads. Nu-metal being more of a musical trend where the bands in question carefully construct radio-friendly songs (limp, puddle, lincoln,disturbed, staind etc) laced with distorted guitars and angst ridden singing, heavier enough to be "rebellious" for todays suburban youth, but catchy enough for MTV & radio to bastardize. Take Metallica for example, one of the biggest bands in the world. They used to be considered the metal band. They already had several highly successful albums (Ride the lightening, Master of Puppets, etc) which are considered metal classics, and they could sell out arenas around the world all before the mainstream audience ever knew they existed. The music was very fast, very heavy, and up until then, unlike anything heard on the radio or TV. Then the day came when they changed their sound in hopes to appeal to a greater audience, they lightened their sound, slowed down the tempo, molded their songs to fit the radio formula, the first results being the "black" album-and the rest was multi-platinum history. I think most people would agree that while they may not be nu-metal considering they've been around since the early 80's, but from the black album forward Metallica no longer make "metal" music. This may be a bad analogy, and more of an example of "selling out", but I'm too tired to re-write this.....

All in all I think music associated with the term "metal" has more integrity, where as "nu-metal" is more of a success driven genre.

Last edited by woofman; 11-30-02 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-30-02, 06:19 PM
Suspended

MJKTool, You're ex has problems
Yes I know!

I get what your saying about the phrase "metal" being tarnished by acts today that are not metal but rather pop rock, which those other bands you mentioned worked so hard for.
Old 11-30-02, 08:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
[....] what are some of those bands that fall into the metal genre? Is it bands like Iron Maiden, Pantera, Metallica?
</small>I only own an album apiece by Metallica and Pantera and, if memory serves, I bought those primarily to listen to their Sabbath cover(s)

My oldschool tastes run to Sabbath, Purple, Rainbow, some Priest, some Maiden, some Scorpions and other artistes I might list on another occasion! Whether these and others fall precisely within or without the metal camp is a matter for debate, I know.

I am no great fan of speed/thrash type metal or cookie-monster vocals. I suppose the closest I got to "modern" "metal" is the second (excellent) solo album of Sabbath bassist, Geezer Butler entitled Black Science.
Old 11-30-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by benedict
<small></small>I only own an album apiece by Metallica and Pantera and, if memory serves, I bought those primarily to listen to their Sabbath cover(s)

My oldschool tastes run to Sabbath, Purple, Rainbow, some Priest, some Maiden, some Scorpions and other artistes I might list on another occasion! Whether these and others fall precisely within or without the metal camp is a matter for debate, I know.

I am no great fan of speed/thrash type metal or cookie-monster vocals. I suppose the closest I got to "modern" "metal" is the second (excellent) solo album of Sabbath bassist, Geezer Butler entitled Black Science.
Since we're throwing everything into a genre, lets call it classic metal?

And in my metal universe, Sabbath and Judas Priest have a big spot.
Old 11-30-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Scorpio
I'm starting to soften a little about these nu-metal bands. I'm not saying that they're all good, but some seem to be getting a little better. I actually like the new Disturbed album and have played it a few times. I'll even admit to liking one Linkin Park song. But I don't forsee myself owning a Limp Bizkit album anytime soon. When it comes to metal, my preferences run toward Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Witchery, old Metallica, King Diamond, old thrash, etc... If I'm in the mood, I listen to black metal as well: Opeth, Cradle of Filth, Darkthrone, etc...
You are a lot like me. Sometimes I'll put on some nu-metal, and I don't mind if I'm listening to it in the car. And your choices are excellent. I listen to more death/black/progressive metal over the older stuff like Sabbath and Maiden.
Old 12-01-02, 06:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

Where, oh where is B5Erik????
Old 12-01-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
I had a similar conversation with my ex. She asked me who my favorite artist was and I said Tool. She proceedes to say "they suck, if you want real metal listen to Limp Bizkit, they make you want to go crazy" I said to her "since when is Tool considered metal?" Her: "Learn something about music then come back and talk to me." I really had to bite my tounge from calling her the biggest MTV sheep idiot that ever existed. Though looking back now I wish I would have, stupid bitch.
If you ever talk to her again, call her a stupid bitch for me as well.
Old 12-01-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Nothing is hotter than a chick who listens to a little Pantera, VOD, Earth Crisis, or Slayer.
Old 12-01-02, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by El Scorcho
If you ever talk to her again, call her a stupid bitch for me as well.
Hey no problem!! I'd be glad to
Old 12-01-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: I hate "nu-metal"!! [pointless rant]

I like Soilwork, God Forbid, Dissection, Opeth, Ulver etc.

I've also never heard of any of the above bands(Will give them a try though).

Do any of them fall in the same category as:

Nightwish
Sonata Artica
Inkubus Sukkubus
Avantasia
Blackmores Night
Darkwell
Trail of Tears
Within Temptation
Old 12-01-02, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: I hate "nu-metal"!! [pointless rant]

Originally posted by candyrocket786
I've also never heard of any of the above bands(Will give them a try though).

Do any of them fall in the same category as:

Nightwish
Sonata Artica
Inkubus Sukkubus
Avantasia
Blackmores Night
Darkwell
Trail of Tears
Within Temptation
I think I've heard of a few of these bands, but never heard anything from them. I do know Sonata Artica. I've only heard one of their songs and I really liked it. They are metal (power metal to be exact), and from that one song that I've heard, they really don't sound much like the bands I've listed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.