Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ghost Recon Question

Old 11-27-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost Recon Question

How are the connections on GR? On Socom you can't play the game for more than 20 or 30 minutes sometimes without getting dropped from the game or getting dropped off the servers all together. Is GR pretty much the same, or is it much better?
Old 11-27-02, 08:28 PM

I played Ghost Recon a few different times for over an hour each and never was dissconected once. On the otherhand it was a real pain in the ass trying to just find a game. I would hope they have fixed that problem by now. I am a huge Socom fan and the boots are annoying but Socom kills GR. (and before all the pro xbox people attack.... I have ps2, xbox, and GC and I hold no preference to one over the other).

I returned GR after about a week to pick up Unreal Championship. DONT get Recon expecting another Socom type game cause you will be majorly dissapointed. It is very slow paced and the point of view is aweful. They could have at least let you see your gun or something but all you see is crosshairs. It really kills the enjoyment of the game. If you are going to try it out make sure you get it from a place where you can return it (EB/Gamestop) because you will def be going back to Socom. I have played just about every one of the online games offered so far and Socom gets the most attention by far (but the booting does aggrivate the hell out of you sometimes).
Old 11-27-02, 09:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Mr. Orange, that's fine if that's your opinion. In my opinion Ghost Recon is a much more satisfying experience. Never got booted and games are a breeze to get. Ghost Recon makes sniping so much funner. Maybe if you went into it with a SOCOM mindset, you were getting killed a lot or something. In GR you have to learn to keep your eyes and ears open as opposed to run and gun. I like it because the snipe mode doesn't have that dumb wobbly aim and annoying heartbeat and it's a lot more accurate to play in 1st person mode versus 3rd person mode. Oh yeah, the graphics are twice as good as SOCOM, it's a really pretty game. And the stealth is twice as important. I was getting sick of the same levels over and over in SOCOM but these new levels in GR are HUGE and damn good.

SOCOM is fun, but GR is even funner.

Oh yeah I really dig the online modes, having a deathmatch is hella fun and team is nice as well.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 11-27-02 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-27-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Mr Orange - This isn't out of an Xbox versus PS2 rivalry or anythig, but I personally think Ghost Recon is a much better game than SOCOM. It's probably just because I like a slower paced game for that type of thing - then again, I played the hell out of Counterstrike over the years.
Old 11-27-02, 11:06 PM

Well I wasnt really trying to say it was a bad game. But that ifhe was expecting a Socom like game he was going to be dissapointed. I agree with the sniping in Socom (I find it impossible... but than I dont like sniping anyways). Recon was def a good game just not to be gotten if thinking it is like Socom. I debated up till the last minute wether to return it or not. Personally I just need(enjoy) faster paced games.

I actually returned GR for Unreal but wished I had not. Did they ever resolve the issue of getting into a game?? It would take me like 20 tries at least to ever find an active game. This was one of my main reasons for returning the game. If that was resolved id consider picking it up again.

And for the record of all the times I did play it I rarely did die. I was actually quite good at the game and the snipe mode is def 100 times better than in Socom.
Old 11-27-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info, that answers my question. I don't like sniping and I hate it when there is one person on each team and they are trying to out snipe each other. I guess I will stick to Socom for now, thanks everyone.
Old 11-27-02, 11:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Slammer, the sniping on GR is a whole different world than SOCOM. If you hate sniping on SOCOM (I never cared for it myself) you would probably find yourself enjoying it on GR. No kidding.
Old 11-28-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I will find someone who has it and check it out before deciding. The game sounds really good but the whole sniping thing worries me a bit.
Old 11-28-02, 12:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

I played with you on SOCOM and you're really good. I bet you'd be great at GR. They are complementary really. SOCOM is more of an arcade game with tactical leanings while GR is more realistic with more tactics based. I would say GR is more clan oriented, there's no such thing as a rambo on you team. Someone who plays Rambo is dead in a hurry.
Old 11-28-02, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I just bought this game yesterday. Even without the xbox live service this game still kicks arse.
Old 11-28-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by s}{ammer
I think I will find someone who has it and check it out before deciding. The game sounds really good but the whole sniping thing worries me a bit.
What is it about the sniping that you don't like?
Old 11-28-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't understand why everyone raves about the multiplayer in GR for Xbox. The multiplayer was OK at best for the PC. Did they make any drastic changes?
Old 11-28-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played Ghost Recon at a LAN party all last weekend on my PC, and I just gotta say that the multiplayer rocks. It was hard pulling myself away from my Xbox, but only half of the people at the LAN party owned Xboxes so we went with PCs since we all had them. Out of all of the multiplayer games that I've played (and I've played a lot of them) the Tom Clancy games are my favorite. The amount of teamwork involved compared to say Counterstrike is deeper. Playing the missions cooperatively is very intense as each objective must be fulfilled. We'll break into teams to accomplish each objective simultaneously. It seems that all other multiplayer games that I play the teamwork is not as integral.

In previous LAN parties the game of choice was Rogue Spear, Day of Defeat and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault with Unreal Tournament and Half Life to change the pace. The only other game we played last weekend was Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. We played co-op all the way through. It was a good break from the slower paced methodical tactical FPS that is Ghost Recon.

All in all we had a good 30 hours of Ghost Recon. And we haven't gotten any expansions yet. It's all about co-op play.
Old 11-28-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kellehair
I can't understand why everyone raves about the multiplayer in GR for Xbox. The multiplayer was OK at best for the PC. Did they make any drastic changes?
You get to sit on your couch in your living room.
Old 11-28-02, 03:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah and you can talk to your team. Big difference.
Old 11-28-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lethal, I hate how slow sniping makes the game. In Socom it sucks to get killed and then watch as 2 people try to out snipe each other for 5 minutes. I prefer the action side. I am not deadset against sniping, it's just more fun to run and spray.
Old 11-28-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by s}{ammer
Lethal, I hate how slow sniping makes the game. In Socom it sucks to get killed and then watch as 2 people try to out snipe each other for 5 minutes. I prefer the action side. I am not deadset against sniping, it's just more fun to run and spray.
From what everyone else is saying, it sounds like GR might be even slower since it seems like a lot of people are pickin' up a sniper rifle in that game.
Old 11-28-02, 11:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

It has respawn which is nice.
Old 11-29-02, 08:37 AM

I'd agree with most everyone else in saying that this game is quite a bit different from SOCOM. The co-op missions and co-op fire fights are great. You do have to get used to the first person view but I think that makes it more realistic since you can't look around corners without exposing yourself etc.

Finding games can be a pain in the a$$ at times, but having some people you know on your friends list makes it easier by allowing you to join them in a game they are already in or inviting them to a game that you create.

Until last night I had NEVER had a single problem with lag or dropped connections. Last night I was lagging in all of the games I entered. I suspect my local cable service was having issues.

My biggest letdown between this and SOCOM so far is just the people to play with. I'm used to being able to jump on and play SOCOM with a few folks from this forum. Playing GR is like starting all over...you find yourself in a game with some moron who opens the game by shooting everyone on his own team or someone who just starts rushing up the middle, guns blazing and doesn't work co-op. I suspect that the longer I play the more people I'll meet like the DVD Clan and the more fun this get will get. I certainly would love the chance to play this game with Lethal and S}{ammer in my squad.

PS> There are few things more satifsfying than flanking a sniper and sneaking up on him just to hit the mike button and say "uh-oh sniper" before popping him.
Old 11-29-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by vbellino
I certainly would love the chance to play this game with Lethal and S}{ammer in my squad.
Would you like to buy me an Xbox and GR for Christmas?
Old 11-29-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I'll take that also, then we can all play.
Old 11-29-02, 04:20 PM

I wish I could guys
Old 11-29-02, 08:16 PM

Orange-

I agree with the sniping in Socom (I find it impossible... but than I dont like sniping anyways).
There you go. I can tell ANYONE that if they don't like sniping then they might want to stay away from GR. I will say however that there are plenty of multiplayer levels that are better without a sniper rifle but if you get a lot of people then they aren't going to always play those smaller levels.
I love the sniping action and let's be realistic here for a minute, if you have a squad moving in an a big area then isn't it only logical to use a long range weapon to check things out first? GR is much more realistic than SOCOM all the way around and I personal disliked SOCOM tremdendously for the exact reason someone else said they liked it when they said, "it's just more fun to run and spray." If it is a run and spray type game you want then you might check out Unreal Champ or something. There are definitely good chances to run and spray in GR but you have to think and use them appropriately. If you go running and spraying across a huge field then you'll find yourself sniped down in 10 seconds which is about as realistic as you can get. Just my 2 cents and yes I too own all 3 systems. I sold SOCOM after several weeks of it sitting when I finally decided I couldn't stand the online play. The control is just way too quirky and in single player your troops AI is not good IMO.
Lastly, the online action in GR has a LOT more options. You can configure it how you want and there are a TON of maps. The bad thing is that it takes a while to figure everything out. T
Old 11-30-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I will have Ghost Recon tomorrow but I think I will keep socom. I'll post my thoughts after I get it going.
Old 11-30-02, 01:34 PM

A friend of mine brought his copy of GR over last weekend and we had a heck of a time joining a game.

I hope this gets corrected soon.