Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Omnimusha 2 for PS2 any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-02, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Omnimusha 2 for PS2 any good?

Is Omnimusha 2 for PS2 any good? I might pick up a copy at BB this Black Friday when it is on sale for $29.99 - $5 (I have a coupon).
Old 11-27-02, 03:40 PM

I thought it was a very good game, much improved over the first Onimusha. It's a steal at $25.
Old 11-27-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wished they had kept the original japanese language, and put english subtitles like they did with the first game, the english voice acting is good, but nothing beat the realistic japanese voice acting IMHO. Also is there any point to playing this game 4 times to make friends with each of the 4 different sub characters?
Old 11-27-02, 07:35 PM

I thought the most of the gameplay was an improvement over the first installment, however the "gift-giving" aspect (give certain gifts to certain characters to install loyalty) was a waste. Overall, well worth $25.
Old 11-27-02, 09:06 PM

Thanks for your comments guys!
Old 11-27-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree, they made a lot of improvements over the first one, your character moves a lot faster and not as difficult to control, and the fighting is a lot quicker. For $25 I say its worth it. I could have sworn that there was an option for japanese dialogue in this game though.
Old 11-27-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If I didn't like the first one, but I like Resident Evil - would there be a chance that I might like this one?
Old 11-27-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I loved the fact that a Capcom Horror game featured BLOCKING. Does Onimusha II have Blocking?

I also loved killing with a sword over guns. However, "Devil may cry" offers the best of both worlds.
Old 11-27-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While i agree that many improvements were made on the second one, i still like the first Onimusha better. The lead character of the first game (Samanoske [sp?]) is way cooler than Jubei. But the the fact that in part two you can trade items with the other four characters to build friendships with them is very enjoyable. I found myself playing through a few more times just to see the different scenes with the person you befriended by your side. On the otherhand, no matter who becomes your close buddy throughout the game, you still recieve the same ending. And as for the ending, i was totally dissapointed as i found it extremely dissatisfying. Its not as near as good as the ending in part one. Other than, its a pretty cool game, especially for the price your gonna get it for.
Old 11-28-02, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I loved the fact that a Capcom Horror game featured BLOCKING. Does Onimusha II have Blocking?

I also loved killing with a sword over guns. However, "Devil may cry" offers the best of both worlds.
Yes, the ability to block almost any attack (in Onimusha 1 & 2) is great and is not found in any of the other Capcom survival horror games or their spinoffs. In Onimusha 2 you can also kill enemies with one sword blow if you time your attack well, right before they hit you. It's hard to do but very satisfying.

Some of the reasons I prefer the Onimusha games over the Resident Evils:
  • No need to conserve ammo. Your swords are your main weapons. You do have a limited amount of magic for each weapon, but in Onimusha 2 you can charge up your weapon for more powerful attacks without using magic.
  • No need to collect ribbons to save.
  • You don't have to rely on herbs/medicines alone. You can get more health just by defeating enemies.
Old 11-29-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, the Original game's main character, Samnosuke was based on a Popular Japanese Star.

Was Onimusha II's character also based on a real star?
Old 11-29-02, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The original game's character was a digital recreation of Takehashi Kaneshiro (sp?) who's been in tons of movies... most of the movies I have that have him in em are Chinese though.
Old 11-29-02, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The actor that Jubei is based upon was the bad guy in BLACK RIAN. He died in 1989, but is considered a icon in japanese action cinema, and thats his look in the 70's that you unlock later in the game. (the leather get-up and the shades)
Old 11-29-02, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by salamander2
The actor that Jubei is based upon was the bad guy in BLACK RIAN. He died in 1989, but is considered a icon in japanese action cinema, and thats his look in the 70's that you unlock later in the game. (the leather get-up and the shades)

Ooooooh Yeah. I remember this guy from "Black Rain"

Yusaku Matsuda

From Imdb:

Japanese game maker Capcom will use the late Yusaku Matsuda's image in their upcoming video game "Onimusha 2". In the game, he will be Jubei Yagyu, a legendary Japanese swordsman from the Tokugawa period. [2001]
Old 11-29-02, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Takeshi Kaneshiro - guess it's a different character we're talking about.

Last edited by Trigger; 11-29-02 at 06:05 AM.