Reload this Page >

Call of Cthulhu : Dark Corners of the Earth

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-27-02, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally slated for the PC only and rumored to possibly end up on the Xbox, as of Nov 21st this game is officially announced for both PC and Xbox release in late 2003. Yay!

If you haven't seen any videos of this game, I urge you to do so - this game is going to be intense... imagine playing Resident Evil in first person but the story is actually intelligent. H.P. Lovecraft fans should rejoice. Survival Horror fans should rejoice. FPS fans should rejoice (although, this will be less of a balls-out blast-em-up and more of a cerebral mindf***). Here's a recent article I found on IGN:
November 21, 2002 - Headfirst Productions announced today Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, a game based on the writings of horror master H.P. Lovecraft. Due to ship for Xbox and PC in late 2003, Dark Corners does not yet have a publisher. Still, Headfirst's hopes are so high for the game they've begun development of a sequel, Call of Cthulhu: Beyond the Mountains of Madness for release holiday 2004.
Those not geeky enough to know the H.P. Lovecraft world need only know Lovecraft's works involved nether-beasts and inevitable madness for all those who encountered these things that went bump (or screamed, or bled) in the night. Eternal Darkness for GameCube is a prime example of a game inspired by Lovecraft. While gameplay details have not been released, we'd expect plenty of creepy things that slowly drive you insane.

Here's what Mike Woodroffe, Headfirst's Managing Director had to say:

"We are really excited about the long term prospects for the Call of Cthulhu franchise, especially now that Dreamworks has announced their upcoming film based on the H.P. Lovecraft short story "At the Mountains of Madness," which is to be directed by Guillermo del Toro of Blade 2 and Hellboy fame."
The first-person horror title is directly based off the table-top Call of Cthulhu RPG, which should mean something to the true Lovecraft geeks out there. For the rest of us, expect another addition to the Xbox survival horror library late next year. We'll have more on all things Cthulhu as it becomes available.
Here's the link - it includes a link to their media page:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/378/378220p1.html

I'll have a hard time waiting cuz I've already been waiting for nearly a year. I'm excited.
Old 11-27-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on these games. This one sounds great, but some of those screens look a little unpolished. Quite possibly they look like they because the game is unpolished as of right now. Either way, a serious attempt at a true Lovecraft adaptation is welcome by me.

Oh, and congrats Trigger, you coined a new first person sub-genre. The FPCM.

stoolie
Old 11-27-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The screens don't do it justice - you gotta check out the vids if you can.
Old 11-29-02, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's another article from Nov 21st as well... this one indicates that this game almost didn't get made I found this on Gamers.com

A few months ago, the UK developer Headfirst Productions had a disagreement with publisher Fishtank Interactive (which was recently bought by JoWood) that confused the public about whether or not its upcoming game Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was still in development or not. And while the developers have yet to comment on the legal standings of the matter, new screens of the game have been released leading us to believe it's still well on track.
Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is now scheduled for a release in the third or fourth quarter of 2003 on PC and Xbox. And while no final publishing partner has been announced yet, the Headfirst is confident one will be found soon. The developer is also planning a PlayStation 2 esclusive game named Call Of Cthulhu: Tainted Legacy for release during the fourth quarter of 2004.

With Dark Corners Of The Earth in full production, Headfirst has even begun work on its follow-up, subtitled Beyond the Mountains of Madness. This game will then ship on Xbox and PC in the fourth quarter of 2004 with a further exclusive PS2 game for Xmas 2005. Now that's what we call long-term planning, eh?

Mike Woodroffe, Headfirst's managing director, recently commented: "We are really excited about the long term prospects for the Call Of Cthulhu franchise, especially now that Dreamworks have announced their upcoming film based on the H.P.Lovecraft short story 'At the Mountains of Madness' which is to be directed by Guillermo del Toro of Blade 2 and Hellboy fame."

In case you don't remember any previous coverage on Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, it's a first-person horror adventure based on the RPG from Chaosium, which in turn is based on the writings of acclaimed American horror author H.P.Lovecraft. Check out these new shots to see how it's coming along.
Old 11-29-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trigger
The screens don't do it justice - you gotta check out the vids if you can.
that must be the case since from those screen shots it looks like CS has better graphics and considering how old the Half-life engine has been around thats not saying much..
Old 01-30-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New Screenshots appeared for this game last week...

http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/scr...ts.asp?id=4618

looking good.
Old 02-01-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Latest trailer if you haven't seen it - (only 4MB Windows Media)
http://www.callofcthulhu.co.uk/downl...trailer_hi.zip

low-fi (855K)
http://www.callofcthulhu.co.uk/downl...trailer_lo.zip

hi-res is worth it - the graphics are looking pretty sweet.
Old 05-19-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got in to see this at E3 and they have improved a few things, but at the same time - I think they screwed some other things up. I'm not as confident in the quality of this title as I used to be. I actually don't really think this will be all that good. :/ Part of the problem is that Half-Life is going to overshadow any other sort of lower budget FPS title... even one that is unique like this.