Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

In your opinion do you think the X-Box will last?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-02, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure you have seen millions of topics about which system to buy and etc. Well here is one more.

So I am on the fence about getting an X-Box or a PS2. Gamecube is a good system but in all honesty it doesn't have as much appeal to me as the other two.

The last system I bought was a Dreamcast, and we all know how that went. (It is was and is still a good system, but I want something that will last).

Ok so, here are how the systems add up:
Forget online play, I won't be using either one for online play. Two reasons I am a college student and I don't have the time to play online (can get addictive), and two I would rather just play the game as it is.

Yeah PS2 has more games, but so what? I am on a student budget so I won't be getting a new game at the blink of an eye.
Plus from what I am seen X-Box and PS2 are equal TO ME in terms of quality games. For every Halo there is Vice City, etc.

I am leaning towards X-Box, but I don't want to purchase a system and then six months later hear an announcement that the system will be killed off. That is what I am afraid of if I purchase an X-Box. I know(once again for me atleast) there is alot of quality games for the X-Box, but where did that exactly get Dreamcast? I know that the online play may give Microsoft an edge, but once again where did that get Dreamcast? X-Box isn't doing good in Japan and that was one of the reasons that Dreamcast was killed.

If I make an investment in the X-Box do you think the system will last, or will it be gone by this time next year?

Also please no system bashing. All of the systems have good points, and it all boils down to opinions. So I am just getting different peoples opinions on the matter.

Thanks
-cerial442
Old 11-26-02, 01:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

Nah, even staunch MS haters (you know who you are) think it will be around for the long haul. Some people will come in here and tell you the greatest hits on PS2 is worth what you want, but honestly XBOX has some really great deals right now (check the Target thread, overall the prices are being discounted like crazy) and good GameCube games can be had for cheap 2nd hand as well.

MS/Xbox is here to stay for the long haul. Sega doesn't have the deep pockets of MS and that's what the difference is.
Old 11-26-02, 01:21 AM

I was like you. I was in college when I purchased my XBOX because I wanted quality over quantity. I love my XBOX and I am very pleased with my choice. As you said each system has its own exclusive games, but I felt that the hard drive, biggest processor, ethernet conncection, and the HUGE budget that MS is dumping into this thing just to get their foot in the door, were all good reasons to choose the xbox over the ps2 or gc.

I am very happy with my choice. Now, if I were to go for a second system I think I would choose the GC over the ps2. I would do this because I think that the ps2 offers games similar to the xbox, while the gc games are more kid oriented and puzzlish (still fun, for ex. Animal Crossing, Zelda, Pikmin).

You said that online gaming isn't important to you. It wasn't for me but I just got it and it is awesome! You might like this feature in the future.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-26-02, 01:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah if you have a high speed connection (live in a dorm or just have cable) you might as well get XBL. It's pretty damn fun.
Old 11-26-02, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think Xbox will be around for a long time... I haven't seen Microsoft give up on much of anything.
Old 11-26-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is all about the games. Look at both systems and buy the one with more games on it that you like.

I think the greatest hits games are great however you might look at them and think they suck

I think the XBox will survive. I have alway thought that in the long run they will get most games second not first since the PS2 has a far greater console base. I also think that that the" make it for the PS2 and do a quick port to the XBox" will happen far too often.

That said both systems have good games on it so look at the games and decide that way.
Old 11-26-02, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: In your opinion do you think the X-Box will last?

Originally posted by cerial442
If I make an investment in the X-Box do you think the system will last, or will it be gone by this time next year?
yes, it will last. Talks and design are already underway for xbox 2.... MS is in it to stay.
Old 11-26-02, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
another vote for XBOX being around for long time.

I am VERY happy with my XBOX. DD 5.1 rocks on most games.
Old 11-26-02, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keep in mind that this generation of video game systems are already 2 years old (for PS2, 1 year for Xbox/GC), so if we are looking at the lifespan of this generation, it *should* last another 3 good years then another year after that of slow trickled lack-of-software death... There will always be something new coming out in a few years so keep that in mind. Buy it to play the games you want to play today
Old 11-26-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

X-box should definitely stick around. MS appears ready to spend plenty of money, and last I read sales were healthy. In my personal opinion, I think 2003 will be a GREAT year for Xbox because we will begin to see game that take full advantage of the system's capabilities, including the sound, hard drive, and online access. At this point in time, I believe that if a "perfect" game comes out, it will be on the Xbox.

The PS2 is a great choice too, though. As has already been recommended here, check out the games. Head out to a Wal Mart or target and check out the budget games since you live the college life. Gallant Pig was correct when mentioning that just because Xbox doesn't have "Greatest Hits" line of games like the PS2, there are still plenty of cheap games to be had.

Most importantly, have fun.

stoolie
Old 11-26-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't rack your brain over this. With Christmas coming up there are going to be some great deals. Just tell your parents that you want a PS2 for Christmas and then buy yourself an Xbox. You can't go wrong with both. If any system is going to die it will be the Gamecube IMO.
Old 11-26-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My opinion: I knew the DC would fail, and it did. I also knew from day 1 that Xbox would fail, and so far its dead on....not a single game (out or announced) I would ever wanna play on it (not including games on all 3 systems, which I would play for PS2 or GC). This is of course my opinion, which is what the topic asked for, so dont eat me alive
Old 11-26-02, 08:22 AM
dgc

Originally posted by discostu1337
I also knew from day 1 that Xbox would fail, and so far its dead on....not a single game (out or announced) I would ever wanna play on it (not including games on all 3 systems, which I would play for PS2 or GC). This is of course my opinion, which is what the topic asked for, so dont eat me alive
Thank god it's just your opinion.

As someone already mentioned, XBOX 2 is currently in the works. This console will be around for quite some time.

Even if it folds down the road, by that time you'll have plenty of existing games to play on it and will have already gotten your money's worth. Enjoy.

Last edited by dgc; 11-26-02 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-26-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The XBOX is going to last.

And if you're looking at the college, money saving approach.. if you buy a PS2, you'll need to buy a memory card and possibly a multi-tap.. then a modem down the line, and more memory cards, etc, etc. The only thing you need to buy for the XBOX other than extra controllers is possibly the DVD kit, and that's only if you wanted to use it for DVD play (and in all honesty, you'd have to shell the same for the PS2 because you'll probably want a REMOTE)..

Look at the exclusive games and decide. For me the choice was easy. Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantasy Star Online, True Fantasy Online (I hope they change the title for this), DOA Vollyball, Ninja Gaiden, Toejam & Earl III, Crazy Taxi 3, Project Gotham Racing.. it really seems like the XBOX is going to shine in 2003 with plenty of great exclusives and of course LIVE. Plus, if you got the gear.. High Definition Video and 5.1 sound that the other system don't offer.. wow. And of course, for cross platform games, the XBOX versions SHOULD be the best of the bunch (should being the key-word).

PS2 on the other hand has a LOT of RPG titles. This may have been the push for me, say, 12 years ago, when RPG's still had games behind them. But if non-interactive fanfiction is your fare, this is the system for you. On top of that, GTA3 seems to be a seller, it's fun, but to me seemed to lose it's appeal when you got into the missions. As far as online gaming.. Nintendo is till pretending the internet doesn't exsist. The PS2 has a modem, but it's wekness lies in having to cater to dial-up, and it's a law in the video game world as constant as gravity, that anything you need to buy EXTRA for a system, will not only get very little support, but fail miserably. But you've said online gaming doesn't matter to you, so I'd ignore that argument.
Old 11-26-02, 08:43 AM

MS has to support Xbox even if they don't sell any more units starting right now. Xbox is just the first device MS is trying to use to get into consumers living rooms, and not just their Dens/PC room.

MS has much larger plans when they released the xbox then just playing video games. For MS to give up on the xbox would be them giving up the future of their company's expansion.
Old 11-26-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm pretty sure the xbox will fail. Not this one, but the next one. Microsoft is going to have to stop losing money on their systems and now that they have set the hardware and feature bar so high, next generation, they have no choice but to create another ungodly expensive system. Microsoft has failed in the past (Microsoft® Bob™). How long will microsoft be able to subsidize everyone's xbox purchases? How long can they continue to buy all this hype? When are they ging to release a game worth buying other than Halo?
Old 11-26-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the response to XBOX live is any indication, Microsoft is here to stay.....
Old 11-26-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kinda agree with mmconhea. At some point even MS will get tired of losing so much money. They've already lost Billions and I don't see things getting all that much better.
Old 11-26-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree to a point. In my opinion, other than Halo, it does seem like it's been a while since there was a truly AAA title for Xbox. Splinter Cell certainly fits the bill it seems, though I have yet to play it. But I believe the Xbox will be a console that gets better exponentially as developers use the capabilities better. PS2 and Gamecube seem more static to me.

I personally hope the Xbox lasts. I like having three systems to play games on. The variety is important to me.

stoolie
Old 11-26-02, 09:25 AM

This is a no brainer. Those who say the Xbox will fail aren't giving very much support as to WHY. Yeah, so MS has failed in the past but who hasn't. I could go on and on about Sony and Beta tapes but I don't think they will fail due to this. Sony kept forging ahead and so will MS. MS knew they wouldn't catch Sony in this console war and just wanted to position themselves for the next (IMO) and they seem to be doing a decent job of it. The last thing I read said that they will NOT let Sony get the jump on them in the next round, meaning Sony won't have a year head start to sell their system off of hype with crappy games. In the first year SSX was possibly the only game that looked better than a DC title.
Also, let's look at how many great games we got out of the DC. Yes the system died early but it ended up having more great games for it than the N64 did even though the N64 stuck around longer. So, now we have to define failure. Is failure dependant on the # of years a console is produced or the # of good games the system has? If it is the games then I think the DC was a bigger success than the N64. It had better sports games, beautiful fighters, different games like Seaman and Shenmue, etc.
Anyway, since I made a short answer long I'll wrap it up by just pointing out that the future of gaming isn't just about a game system. Sony and MS both are moving to the gaming system possibly being the main part of your entertainments center. I've already seen a program for the PS2 where you can send pictures and other stuff from your PC through your broadband hookup to your PS2 and then display it on your TV. I think the future of gaming systems is much larger than some believe.
Old 11-26-02, 09:26 AM
dgc

Originally posted by mmconhea
I'm pretty sure the xbox will fail. Not this one, but the next one. Microsoft is going to have to stop losing money on their systems and now that they have set the hardware and feature bar so high, next generation, they have no choice but to create another ungodly expensive system.
I disagree. The start-up processes and infrastructure is already in place. If anything, future hardware will be less expensive to manufacture, market, and distribute.

When are they ging to release a game worth buying other than Halo?
Old 11-26-02, 09:33 AM
Retired

MS is here through at least next generation.

They determined, doing ok, and can stand to lose millions (or billions) to build user base.

However, if they're not at least close to turning a profit by the end of next generation, they could be in trouble. Investors will only take losses for so long without raising their disapproval.

But as for this generation, the X-box is 100% a safe purchase.

Just bear in mind that MS intends to put out the X-box 2 before the PS3. So if the PS3 comes out in fall 2005 as anticipated, the X-box 2 would likely come out that spring or summer. So it's up to you to decide if a system that may only be supported for another 3 to 2.5 years is worth $200 for you. The PS2 is the same deal. With the GC you've probably got until fall 2006.
Old 11-26-02, 10:10 AM

cerial, I was in a similar mindset when I decided to purchase my XBOX. I truly believe that it will make it, and, you know what...if it doesn't, there's some damn good games out there anyway

But really, it's an awesome system, a hell of a deal, and a sure bet through at least 7-8 more years of gaming (assuming XBOX2 is backwards compatible).
Old 11-26-02, 12:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

mmconhea: You must have missed this in the original post: Also please no system bashing.
Old 11-26-02, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
mmconhea: You must have missed this in the original post: Also please no system bashing.
I'm not. Please no "Wanna be moderating"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.