Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Progressive Scan DVD Player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-02, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a HDTV but have a regular DVD player. Will a Progressive Scan DVD player make the image a whole lot better? And are all DVD's compatible for a Progressive Scan player?
Thanks
Old 11-25-02, 03:31 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVD with film source material will benefit most from a progressive scan DVD player feeding a HDTV. You'll need to use the component video connection to get progressive scan though.
Old 11-25-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup PS is best used with a HDTV,so get some component connection and put in SW:Epi.II and get ready for your mouth to hit the floor.
Old 11-25-02, 04:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This thread is better suited for the Hardware Forum... you might also want to do a search on this topic, as it's probably been covered multiple times before.
Old 11-25-02, 04:46 PM

You will notice the difference in fine detail. Also in diagonal lines, they will look much smoother and less jaggy.

MAKE SURE TO ENABLE THE PROGRESSIVE SCAN on your player. My friend was telling me it was a waste of money. I went to his house and activated the PS! What a difference! He felt silly but was happy to have the improvement.

IF you went to the trouble and expense of buying a HDTV set, dont miss maximizing its performance.
Old 11-25-02, 07:09 PM

Yeah, i just bought a new hdtv and a new progressive scan player, i did notice a much better quality, and all dvd's are compatible as long as vcd, svcd, dvd-r, dvd-rw with mine, i got the jvc xbs500 i think it was
Old 11-25-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DVDHO
Yup PS is best used with a HDTV,so get some component connection and put in SW:Epi.II and get ready for your mouth to hit the floor.
I have watch Star Wars II on my 27 inch "Normal" TV, and the picture is awesome (through it is a little soft at times).

Can you give us a written comparision of the SWII being played on a HD PS DVD player vers playing on a 27 inch TV?
Old 11-25-02, 08:18 PM

My friend has a Samsung 32" HDTV and the Panny RP-56. When we hooked things up neither of us could see a noticable improvement with the progressive turned on. In fact, we had a hard time getting the progressive to play properly at all. The 'DVD' input would not allow us to play things in progressive mode, and instead we had to hook up the DVD player to the 'DTV' input.

Any thoughts as to what (if anything) was wrong? Should the progressive vs. non-progressive be a night and day difference?
Old 11-26-02, 12:45 AM

It may be that since you were on a 32" tube things looked really sharp anyway. Try out some DVD's with a lot of fine detail.

If you have "A Perfect Storm" look at the rigging on the fishing boats. Look at anything that is a fine line like powerlines or the like. Look at things like feathers or fabric textures. You should see a difference in things like that.

Of course the larger the screen the more noticeble these things will be. It should have worked fine on any component input however. Not sure why that was not working for you.
Old 11-26-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just picked up my first progressive player in anticipation of my forthcoming Sony 51" Widescreen HD Rear Projection, and I'm even noticing a difference on my 27" trinitron. I got the Panasonic RP82s for just $209 shipped...what a fricken player. It's my 3rd Panny, 6th player overall, and it firmly solidified my opinion that Panny makes the most solid, reliable, best for the money players out there.

I almost bought a Pioneer 656a, but I couldn't find a credible review, nor a local store that carried one to check it out.

Oh, and allow me to say...the 24/192DAC on the Panny when paired with my Denon 3803 which can take the 192...WOW. It's a whole new level of crispness to the audio! There's sound coming out of the woodwork around here.
Old 11-26-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by lordzeppelin
I just picked up my first progressive player in anticipation of my forthcoming Sony 51" Widescreen HD Rear Projection, and I'm even noticing a difference on my 27" trinitron. I got the Panasonic RP82s for just $209 shipped...what a fricken player. It's my 3rd Panny, 6th player overall, and it firmly solidified my opinion that Panny makes the most solid, reliable, best for the money players out there.

I almost bought a Pioneer 656a, but I couldn't find a credible review, nor a local store that carried one to check it out.
You chose wisely. Pioneer players suffer from the chroma upsampling bug. Panasonics do not.