Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

ps2 stops working for everything but ps2 games?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-25-02, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a ps2 and have recently had trouble playing both dvds and ps1/psx games. i tried playing brand new copies of donnie darko and ocean's eleven on my ps2 and they got pixelated and jumpy around the layer change. i then tried them on another dvd player and they played through fine. then i tried playing an older ps1 game (no disc damage) and it would not play either. has anyone else had any experience with this or does anyone know of a solution (cleaning, etc)?

tia
Old 11-25-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you recently rented any games or movies that had one of those stickers that covers the entire disc? If you have, that might be the problem, because my friend has had to send his PS2 back to Sony like 3 times because of rented games.
Old 11-25-02, 01:46 AM

i have rented many dvds through online places, but none have had stickers on them. so i guess that is a bust. don't know if i could send it to sony for a replacement as i bought it they day it was released off of ebay. so a long time ago and no receipt. any chance you have the info for sony that your friend used handy?
Old 11-25-02, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I assume you tried cleaning it.
Old 11-25-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My friend had this happen to his PS2 about a year ago. Its the first sign of the DVD-Rom going out. Eventually it won't play PS2 games either. I have read about it happening to other people too. It happened more with the launch consoles from two years ago.
Old 11-25-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have the information that my friend used, but darkside is right about that being the first sign of the DVD-Rom going out. If you don't have a receipt or anything, you may end up having to buy a new PS2. If you do buy one however, go somewhere like Best Buy that has a service plan that you can get along with the PS2. By doing that, it gives you the option to take the PS2 back to Best Buy and either get it fixed or replaced if anything goes wrong.
Old 11-25-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

!?!?!?!?

Originally posted by Dayewalker
My friend has had to send his PS2 back to Sony like 3 times because of rented games.
Renting games for PS2 cause it to get damaged?

That's a serious problem!
Old 11-25-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Give Sony a call and tell them that you bought it at launch and the drive is starting to act funny. It's a known problem and they will take it in and fix it for free.
Old 11-26-02, 03:02 AM

thanks for the advice Icculus, i will go ahead and do this. anyone know of a number that can be called about the problem?
Old 11-26-02, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My roommate's PS2 is all fritzy too - We were thinking it was just GTA Vice City and GTA, but it's happening more and more. Guess I'll suggest to him to call in to Sony as well. We'll see what happens.

By the way, WiccanPagan - I totally disagree with your sig.