Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How good is Metroid on GBA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-02, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good is Metroid on GBA?

Any thoughts on this game? Is it like Super Metroid?
Old 11-24-02, 07:50 PM

I played it for about an hour. The gameplay is top-notch, similar to Super Metroid. The only thing so far that has bothered me is that the game is so story-driven. You'll play for a while and then you have to stop and read stuff or watch cut scenes. I prefer how the original Metroid promoted more exploring and less story and cut scenes.
Old 11-24-02, 09:27 PM

Simply put, if you like Super Metroid you'll like Metroid Fusion. The story didn't bother me as much as the fact that the game tells you where you need to go. It would have been nice if they added an option to turn off help like in Metroid Prime...I'd rather explore on my own. Still, MF is a superb game and a very worthy addition to the Metroid line of games. No Metroid fan should miss it.
Old 11-25-02, 12:09 AM

It's a good game overall, one of GBA's best. I liked it much better than the last Castlevania game.
Old 11-25-02, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by superboyreturns
It's a good game overall, one of GBA's best. I liked it much better than the last Castlevania game.
Blasphemy.

BUT yes Metroid Fusion rocks, any fan of the series shouldnt think twice about picking it up. Especially if you have Prime gotta love the hidden extra .
Old 11-25-02, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by zero
Blasphemy.

BUT yes Metroid Fusion rocks, any fan of the series shouldnt think twice about picking it up. Especially if you have Prime gotta love the hidden extra .
What's the hidden extra?
Old 11-25-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
If you beat Fusion and link up to Prime on your GC it'll unlock the original Metroid on your GameCube. I think that's how it works.

~Scheherazade
Old 11-25-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know.. I played it for an hour.. and while the gameplay is tops, the plot has got to go. This game uses one of the most overused and horribl plot twists in any game. Argh.

Oh well.. enjoying the game regardless.. Though having everything spelled out for you ruins some of the magic of Super Metroid. And so far, the way the levels are laid out really sucks.
Old 11-25-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Scheherazade
Spoiler:
If you beat Fusion and link up to Prime on your GC it'll unlock the original Metroid on your GameCube. I think that's how it works.

~Scheherazade
Leaving those of us without a GC happy that the link-up features 1) Nothing Useful. 2) Nothing even involving the Fusion game.

This bonus would've worked 100 times better on the GBA.
Old 11-25-02, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
Leaving those of us without a GC happy that the link-up features 1) Nothing Useful. 2) Nothing even involving the Fusion game.

This bonus would've worked 100 times better on the GBA.
I know, definitely would have been better if it was on the GBA.
Old 11-26-02, 01:24 AM

I just got my copy today, and I love it! But I think you may have it backwards:

Spoiler:
I think when you beat MF and link it up to the GC it enables you to wear the MF power suit in MP. If you beat MP and link it up to the GBA it unlocks the original Metroid to play on your GBA. Not 100% certain about that, but that's how I remember it.
Old 11-26-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by blakwngbrd
I just got my copy today, and I love it! But I think you may have it backwards:

Spoiler:
I think when you beat MF and link it up to the GC it enables you to wear the MF power suit in MP. If you beat MP and link it up to the GBA it unlocks the original Metroid to play on your GBA. Not 100% certain about that, but that's how I remember it.
Nope... other way around.

Spoiler:
Beat MF, hook up to MP, get Metroid on GC. Beat MP, hook up to MF, get MP suit on MF.
Old 11-26-02, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Nope... other way around.

Spoiler:
Beat MF, hook up to MP, get Metroid on GC. Beat MP, hook up to MF, get MP suit on MF.
Wrong again.. both extras affect Metroid Quake, er Prime. Yes.. that means you beat Prime, link it to Fusion to unlock something in Prime. Make sense? Nope.
Old 11-26-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can read my Metroid Fusion Review for the site I work for. This is an excellent game. What I think is really cool is my review is on GameRankings.com
Old 11-26-02, 10:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I am loving this game. Now, to some of the criticisms:

1. Too many cut-scenes. After the first few levels the cut-scenes are few are far between...very short to get through. Not a problem at all...it's not Final Fantasy.

2. Game tells you what to do. Not really. It will tell you what sector to go to next, but once you get there it's up to you to figure out how to finish the objective. There's a lot of great puzzles along the way, and the game is designed such that you'll never find yourself "stuck" in an area you can't get out of.

3. Gripes about the bonuses. This bonus is for owners of the Cube and GBA. It's just that, a bonus. If you don't own both, no sweat...it's not like you can't play Metroid on an emulator. Personally I'd rather play it on my big TV than on the tiny GBA screen anyway..especially since there's a loss of resolution translating NES games to the GBA (see Animal Crossing).