Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Could someone please tell me what is wrong with my dvd player(s)?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-24-02, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 Sony Dvd players. The DVP-NS300 and the DVP-S360. The NS300 is a "bit" newer and is connected to a 50" inch Sony tv with component video. The S360 is a bit older and is connected with s-video to a 27" Sony flatscreen.

Nothing that I have is brand new. The TV and the players are anywhere from 1 year to 2 1/2 years old. And the way they are connected has not changed in many, many months.

Ok, so I was watching the X-Files season 6 on the NS300 (big screen, component video) and there was this blue area in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It is in the black bar area so it was kind of annoying even though it's pretty small. I'd never seen anything like it before.

I first thought it was the DVD. So I checked all of the discs from that box and they all had the same problem. I then tried the discs in my S360 (27", s-video) and there wasn't that blue area (kind of the size of a pinky fingerprint, but not symmetrical), but I did notice a blue and red line that kind of went down the entire length of the screen, like if you had drawn them with colored pencils. Something I'd also never noticed before.

You can only see these "lines" on the left side of the screen and they are not nearly as visible if the picture is bright. You can see them while switching from video 1-4 though. They are there, the blue and red lines on all 4 video screens even though my player is on video 4.

I went back to the first player and tried other discs. Good Will Hunting, Jay and Silent Bob, etc. And they all had that kind of blue area in the corner of the upper left. Depending on the color of the scene it got a bit bigger or a bit smaller. When it was very bright you needed to look hard to see it.

I thought it was the TV set, but all of my channels seem fine and when I put on the IFC they were playing a movie in widescreen and the blue area was not present at all.

Then I noticed one more thing. When I was switching from video 1 to 3 (where my component video is hooked up to) the blue thing would sort of pulsate as I switched from video 2 to 3. I mean it would show up and be really bright for a second just as I got to video 3 (with the player on).

Also, if I just had the player turned off and left it on video 3 and then turned the DVD player on, it would pulsate (get bright like a flash) in the same spot as I get that blue area(spot) for a quick second.

I've checked all of my connections and nothing seems wrong there. I would assume it was the player, but I can't think of what it might be. And then there is the other player. I swear on the far left side of the screen there is a blue AND red line. You can also see this much more clearly when the dvd is stopped and it is black. It blends in more when there is a picture and also seems worse when the scene is darker than if it is a bright scene. Am I just noticing this now because of the definate problem on my other player? I don't think so.

But to have this kind of problem develop on both of my players on the same day doesn't make any sense to me. Does anyone know what might be causing this and/or what I should do? I'm not thrilled that I might have to get new players (although the problem is very minor, but annoying), but it's not having any idea what is wrong and how it could have happened to both players on the same day. I watch DVDs almost every day and this just happened.

The problem with the lines (red and blue) on my 27" may be normal (all though I don't think it is), but I know this blue area (that flickers when turning the player on) has to be something wrong. It's never happened, only shows up in the top left corner and only when the dvd player is turned on/playing.

If anyone could give me their ideas and suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.
Old 11-24-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure what could be the problem with your setup, but I've noticed something similar with my Toshiba DVD player on certain discs. For those particular discs, a reddish line would appear on the bottom right side of the movie frames. Since I've only seen it appearing before the start of the movie, I just ignore this annoyance. But I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is even remotely related to your problem.
Old 11-24-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Poltergeists
Old 11-25-02, 03:32 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for why...have you had any lightining storms or power surges/blackouts recently?

As for what to do, you might want to try to issolate the problems, as it could still be a problem with the TV or the player. First thing you might try doing is changing the cables. Sometimes they just go bad.

I would next try swapping players and connections between TVs to isolate the problem.

On the 300, try connecting it via S video and then composite and see if the problem continues.

Take the 360 and connect to the bigscreen via the component if you can. Do you still get the blue area, or does it now have the red and blue line? Also try the other connections to see if you get the same results.

Connect the 300 to the smaller TV and see if you still get the blue area, or if you're now getting the red and blue lines. Try it with both s-video and the composite connections.

The above should help determine whether the problem is with the player (the unique problem should follow the player) or the TV (the problem should remain regardless of the player) as well as determine if it's just video input type your using or not...all valuable information if a tech has to come out and fix your TV.

If it is the player, it might not be worth fixing, though that's hard to determine...try talking to your Sony service center's tech and see if he'll be upfront with you about the likely problems and total repair costs...and keep in mind how much new players would cost you.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-02, 07:35 AM

I would guess that the blue problem might be in your 50 inch set, and not your DVD player. It sounds like you might have convergence problems or your blue gun is going haywire. Try reconverging, also turn your contrast down to around 50% if you have it up to high. You might have a burn in problem. Has the set been bumped or jostled recently? That could cause the blue gun to loosen. Also make sure your component cables are not loose or connected to the wrong input. Good luck.

James
Old 11-25-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kngelv
I would guess that the blue problem might be in your 50 inch set, and not your DVD player. It sounds like you might have convergence problems or your blue gun is going haywire. Try reconverging, also turn your contrast down to around 50% if you have it up to high. You might have a burn in problem. Has the set been bumped or jostled recently? That could cause the blue gun to loosen. Also make sure your component cables are not loose or connected to the wrong input. Good luck.

James
I think it's the big screen too. I did all the switching of players and cables and each problem stayed with the sets. But what could cause these blue and red lines in the smaller set...and both happening on the same day? Also, I noticed on the smaller set that when watching a widescreen film there is a small yellowish line that is in the film, just below the black bar on the left side of the screen. You can really only see it in a bright scene and if, for example, someone's face is in that spot it will make their skin look green. So yellows, reds, and blues.

Nothing happened to either tv. The only common thing I've thought of is that I played my first vcd in both players a day ago. Can that mess up the laser? I was told it may actually be the same thing happening in both and that it just manifests itself differently in a rear projection (blue area) and a flat tube (colored lines).

I'm having an "assistant" tech come look at it today. Then, based on what he does and say, I'll move forward. If I have to I'll try Sony.

But the one thing I still don't get is that there is no picture disturbance when watching tv. The area in the top left is not blue or irregular in any way. In fact when the dvd is on and the full screen menus appear, there is also no problem in that area. Only when something is playing. I thought it might be that I only notice it with the black bars, but I've put on the IFC which showed a widescreen movie and last night's Sopranos was also widescreen and there was no blueish area.

If the problem was with the TV, why would it only happen when I'm watching a WS movie with DVD?

PS-If I end up replacing the DVD player, I'm thinking of the newer Sony, it's the super-slim design. What say you? I don't have HDTV and won't for at least 2 years, so I don't need the progressive scan. Just looking for a good player at a reasonable cost. I saw that one at Amazon for 129.99.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, in neither case was it the DVD player.

In the case of the big screen tv it was corrected by the flash focus feature.

However, I am not crazy. The 2nd tv also has some type of alignment problem.

I'm getting the blue, red, and yellow lines on all of my screens, it was just easier to detect with a movie in. The tech saw it when watching cable in places I never even noticed.

They say that it's a relfection causing the problem and they'll have to send someone out to fix it.

Figures. I bought it 1 year and 1 month ago, so it's probably going to come out of my pocket to fix it.

The flatscreen cost a prettty penny too and I would think it would last longer before needing repair. It's hardly been moved and looks brand new..

The assitant tech babbled stuff I couldn't really understand, so I have no idea what the cost will be to make the colors go away and align them properly.

Honestly, I was so excited the flash focus thing worked because I simply can't afford another big screen tv now, especially at Christmas time, so I was actually thinking I had "saved" money because I didn't have to repair the big screen.

Now I wonder if that money will be blown having the other set adjusted. This sucks. I wonder what would happen if I gave Sony a call. I have all Sony stuff, maybe the "I've only had it for a year and 1 month, I'm a loyal customer, and I expect more from a Sony" line will help me out.

Well, at least I know it's not poltergeists (thanks for the tip, movie man). And thanks to those who offered up suggestions. They helped a lot.
Old 11-25-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
first the disclaimer: I just got home from 9 and a half hours of answering techsupport calls for Sony products so I'm kind of burned out and might sound slightly harsh
it's nothing personal

about that line: I doubt it. at the sony call center I work at we laugh when we get that line. but if you get escalated (so that you're actually talking to Sony employees and not contracted out call center people like me) you might get somewhere since they have that authority (us contracted 3rd party people don't)

that being said, some Sony TVs have a 3 year warranty so I'd defintely call in and see wht they'll do

a decent line to use if things aren't going well during the call
"I know you're just enforcing the policy you've been given (or, I understand they haven't given you the power to make an exception), and I don't want this to sound personal, but can you transfer me to someone who has the authority to discuss an exception?"

oh, and call tomorrow or wednesday. I've been there less than a year but word has it once thanksgiving hits it
s busy as hell with super long hold times before you even get to talk to a rep, which also means huge hold times to be escalated (or transfered as we tell the customer)

Originally posted by dolphinboy

Now I wonder if that money will be blown having the other set adjusted. This sucks. I wonder what would happen if I gave Sony a call. I have all Sony stuff, maybe the "I've only had it for a year and 1 month, I'm a loyal customer, and I expect more from a Sony" line will help me out.

hope there was something helpful in that rant