Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What aspect ratio is A.I.'s "new" release of The Sacrifice ?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

What aspect ratio is A.I.'s "new" release of The Sacrifice ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-02, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What aspect ratio is A.E.'s "new" release of The Sacrifice ?

Artificial Eye have just released Tarkovsky's last film, The Sacrifice, on DVD. It's certainly not cheap at £25 in the UK - though playcom have it listed at £18. The sleeve claims that the aspect ratio is 4:3. While this may be true of the 90 minute long "making of" on side 2, the movie ratio is anamorphic and I've never come across an anamorphic DVD at 4:3.

Actually, this is just indicative of Artificial Eye's laziness in releasing this movie - nobody could even be bothered to check what ratio the movie was being shown at and from the look of the print they've simply rehashed the VHS job from a few years ago. Tarkovsky deserves better than this !

Last edited by del bosque; 11-23-02 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-23-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...I've never come across an anamorphic DVD at 4:3."

...Carlton's early-days DVD release of The Importance Of Being Earnest
is anamorphic 4:3 - resulting in a 'window-boxed' image on a standard 4:3 screen...

. . . . . .
Old 11-25-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would love more info on this, particularly from someone who can compare it to the current R1 release...
Old 11-25-02, 09:57 PM

Peerpee has addressed the AE disc in this thread:
I just got the Artificial Eye 2 x disc THE SACRIFICE (Tarkovsky), and it's a good set!

The film itself has one disc to itself and Michal Leszczylowski's DIRECTED BY ANDREI TARKOVSKY has a disc to itself (unlike Kino's R1 disc which has them both squashed on one disc).

THE SACRIFICE is remastered (yippee!!!). It says on the box "4:3 letterbox (AR 1.66:1)", but it's actually anamorphic and 1.61:1 (I measured it on a TFT flatscreen), and it looks very nice indeed.

I've never had the fortune to see this film properly projected, I'm only familiar with the Kino disc (which I sold last month in preparation for this) so I'm not sure exactly how it should look but this definitely beats the Kino disc hands down. Colours are washed out in places, as per Tarkovsky/Nykvist's extensive colour reduction work, and indoor scenes look gloomy and dark, but it's clear from other areas of the film that this is quite a lovely transfer. Subtitles are removeable. No other features on disc one.

Disc Two has the DIRECTED BY ANDREI TARKOVSKY documentary. Looking ever so slightly better than the Kino disc, but still it's clear that it was mastered from an average TV/Video master tape. Ingrained subtitles.

Usual filmographies, production notes, and image gallery supplements are on disc two - nothing special.

Very glad that it's an improvement on the previous Kino disc!!!!!!!!
Am looking forward to watching it properly and seeing if there's anything else signficantly good or bad to report on it!
Old 11-26-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious about the formatting specs on the Artificial Eye disc.

Region 2 or Region 0?
PAL or NTSC?
Old 11-26-02, 11:06 AM

It's R2 PAL.