Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Danger Girl? -- I'm guessing UPN didn't learn anything from WB?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From http://www.comiccontinuum.com/

Producer Adrian Askarieh told The Continuum that UPN's live-action Danger Girl television series will be faithful to the source material.

"It's very true to the spirit of the comic book," Askarieh told The Continuum on Thursday. "The first episode we're creating is as faithful to the comic as any show I can remember."
Askarieh, president of Prime Universe Productions, and producer Chuck Gordon struck a deal with UPN and Paramount for a one-hour drama based on the Danger Girl comic book by J. Scott Campbell and Andy Hartnell.

The series is being looked at as either a companion show to the network's Buffy the Vampire Slayer or even a possible replacement if this season will be Buffy's last. UPN is also developing a Night Thrasher series based on the Marvel Comics character.

Analisa LaBianco is writing the pilot and will serve as co-executive producer. "She's a Danger Girl herself," Askarieh said, laughing. "She gets all the characters."

This isn't the first time that Danger Girl has been attempted in live-action. The property was optioned to New Line Cinema as a feature film in 1998 but was never realized. Hartnell, who worked on the movie screenplay, and Campbell will be co-executive producers on the TV show.

"They're both very involved in every aspect," Askarieh said. "And they're both excited as hell."

Askarieh - who is also producing a feature film based on Herobear & the Kid -- couldn't reveal too many details about the pilot, but told The Continuum it will center on Abbey Chase, an "outlaw archaeologist" based out of San Francisco.

"It's Abbey Chase's story and the audience experiences things through her point of view," said Askarieh, who described the series as "Buffy meets Indiana Jones" and said that Danger Girl vs. Hammer Syndicate will be a focal issue of the show.

Askarieh said that many familiar characters will be in the show, including Deuce, Sydney Savage, Natalia Kassle and Johnny Barracuda.

There will also be a new character. "Abbey will have a mom," Askarieh revealed to The Continuum. "She will be an important character."

Like most pilots, Danger Girl will likely be filmed early next year and could go to series as early as October.
Old 11-22-02, 11:33 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if Buffy can hit it off, why can't Danger Girl?
Old 11-22-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Three words.

Birds.

Of.

Prey.

Old 11-23-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if it's anything like the comic was when I read it (first 6 issues) they'll have an episode over 4-6 months
Old 11-23-02, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I actually really really liked J. Scott Campbell's work. but you know, after him and the rest of the folks at cliffhanger comics stopped making there comics for some time it was really lame.

Eh. how much can the guy sell the property for to live off of?
Old 11-23-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

J. Scott sold about $20 grand worth of his original art at the San Diego Comic Con (at about $1000 a piece). Not bad for a weekend.... Covers for comics usually bring in about a grand for the work, so he could make about $2000 every few days... I don't think he needs to sell property to live.
Old 11-23-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
UPN is also developing a Night Thrasher series based on the Marvel Comics character.
Is this one of the New Warriors? Assuming it is, has he even been in a single issue of any book in the last 10 years? What a joke.

Tuan Jim
Old 11-23-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dgmayor
Well if it's anything like the comic was when I read it (first 6 issues) they'll have an episode over 4-6 months

Or as they said at Wizard, each issue is it's own annual.
Old 11-24-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Hey, Birds of Prey had the POTENTIAL to be far better than it was. The idea was good, the execution had a lot of flaws, so I won't discount it until I see it.
Old 11-24-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When Danger Girl first appeared there was no Charlie's Angels movie or She Spies TV show. With the show coming out this late in the game it'll seem like a cash-in on those successes, and it'll be just as bad as them. Abbey Chase with a mom?
Old 11-25-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like UPN is still searching for something to replace Roswell.

Old 11-25-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do I think that this show is just gonna be like Spy Girls or whatever that show with Natasha Henstridge was called?

As for the Night Thrasher show, it seems like they're just looking for ethnic heroes, especially with all that interest in the Black Panther movie a while back and the Blade movies.
Old 11-26-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Well, Birds of Prey had a huge audience for the first episode, but I have to believe the overall lack of quality made viewers drop it. I'm sure a Danger Girl adaptation would do fine if the quality was high.

Of course ever since the popularity of Hercules, action/adventure shows are almost exclusively Saturday syndicated shows, so a primetime network show would have to do a lot to stand out. Birds of Prey, for example, reminded me too much of Mutant X.
Old 11-26-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by tofu

As for the Night Thrasher show, it seems like they're just looking for ethnic heroes, especially with all that interest in the Black Panther movie a while back and the Blade movies.
Black Panther I could see, but Night Thrasher -- he's a minor character from a forgotten, half-assed ensemble book. They might as well have picked up that Image character Night Hawk or whatever his name was and make a gay superhero show. It's not as though anyone'd remember him either.

Tuan Jim
Old 11-26-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts
The failure of Birds of Prey is a not a rejection of a female superhero.

It's the rejection of crappy writing.
Old 11-26-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tofu
Night Thrasher may just be one of the worst ideas for a character ever: he's Batman with a skateboard. Unless they've changed his origin retroactively, he's the son of a millionaire family, and his parents were murdered. He's used his fortune to train himself to become a crime fighter.

Did I mention he uses a skateboard?

Bah.
Old 11-26-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I think HBO needs to jump on the bandwagon and do a (season-long) mini-series based on the 30-something issue run of Young Heroes in Love.
Old 11-26-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I'd like to see HBO do a twelve-hour miniseries based on WATCHMEN.

DANGER GIRL could make a decent series, if they can get it right.