Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Metrosexuality (gay) -Fresh, funny and fabulous!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the Brits have done it again over at Channel 4! First they brought us “Queer As Folk” (unfortunately some folks here in the U.S. had to bastardize) and now this omnisexual, technicolor, hip series called “Metrosexuality”. Written, directed and starring a campy Max (Rikki Beadle-Blair, is this Britain’s answer to Ru Paul?) the story revolves around his son Kwame (Noel Anthony Clarke), who is just about the only “straight” person, or like he says, “someone’s gotta be!” and how he tries to get his two dads back together. His other dad, Jordan (Karl Collins) has taken up with a hot, hunky stud who’s got some secrets of his own. Thrown into the mix are Kwame’s friends Dean (Paul Keating) and Bambi (Davie Fairbanks), two adorable twinks with their own set of problems. You see, Dean has a crush on Kwame’s dad Max and Bambi can’t seem to get his older lover Robin (Michael Dotchen), a bouncer at the local club, to commit and settle down with him. Max’s sister, in real life as well, Cindy (Carleen Beadle) is complicating her lesbian relationship when an old boyfriend, add a few more lesbians, a telephone counselor, a single father, some druggies and you get a wild and wacky soap opera for the 21st century.

“Metrosexuality” opens with the cast all in their “tightie whities” singing the theme song, “It’s All About Love” and this it is as this group of Londoners have fun in Notting Hill. It takes a bit of getting used to in the beginning as the film opens right away with quick edits, psychedelic graphics and a real frantic feel to it. For those of you who can’t take this non-stop frenetic ride you might want to watch it in bits and pieces as it was originally a six part mini-series. Personally after a couple of episodes I adapted quite easily and went along for the ride and found it to be quite enjoyable. Not only is the cast colorful but wait until you see the sets and costumes! Max drives around in a hot pink jeep, sometimes sporting a coat made from teddy bears, the kids hit the clubs in outfits that put a drag queen to shame, and the dwellings are alive with day glo colors. There’s also subtitles, dialogues, monologues, musical interludes and pop and American references. Not to be all lighthearted it does touch on some issues including gay bashing, an abusive father, physical handicaps, and family life in general but doesn’t hit you over the head with any one in particular.

This is pure campy addictive fun!

TLA Releasing has outdone themselves with the dvd and its nice to see so many extras that have been included: commentary by Rikki Beadle-Blair and cast, the orginal pilot, documentary, deleted scenes, photos, trailers and even the entire soundtrack! Kudos for a great production and I hope others follow suit!
Old 11-26-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched this over the weekend, and it definitely is an exhaustive experience! It does, indeed, take a while to get comfortable with the in-your-face style of filming and the intense production design, but after about 30 minutes you'll be loving it!

The extras are fantastic - everything from 12-year old Rikki directing his school play, to over an hour of the pulsating soundtrack.

Don't miss this one...
Old 11-27-02, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just want to second what a fun trip this one is -- for just about anyone who likes british comedy or youth-culture stuff, gay or straight...

One of my favorite netflix rentals of the year, and the discs themselves are high on my wishlist...