Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't Konami ask US Gamers for input on MGS 3?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, this doesn't make much sense to me. I was reading over on Gameforms.com that " readers of Famistu, the Japanese weekly gaming magazine, will have the opportunity to voice an opinion on the creation of Metal Gear Solid 3.

Famistu will be collecting the results of a reader survey on the next game in the Metal Gear Solid series and send them to Hideo Kojima, series creator, who promises to listen in making the next game."

Now asking fans what they thought about a game is a good idea, but why aren't they asking US gamers as well? I was always under the impression that Metal Gear always sold better in the US than in Japan. I don't know about a lot of other people, but I was dissapointed with the story of MGS 2. If the game sells better in the US, shouldn't US gamers have a say in what we think about it?

I mean look at what Nintendo did with Metroid. Metroid has always sold phenominally better in the US than in Japan. So what doesn Nintendo do? They let a US developer, Retro Studios, make the game. By doing this, they take the sensibilities of US gamers into account. A very smart and probably profitable decision, based on the reviews the game is getting.

Now I'm not knocking Hideo Kojima or anything, but Japanese gamers and US gamers have some very different ideas about story and character design sometimes.

I guess it all boils down to the fact I wish I could give input on MGS 3. Sons of Liberty was just a big dissapointment for me compared to the first Metal Gear Solid. The game play was good, but the story and characters were just confusing and stupid. And don't get me even started on Raiden. If the game sells better in the US, ask US gamers what we think as well. Doesn't that make sense?

Last edited by SiberianLlama; 11-20-02 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-20-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because MGS3 is going to be just one continuous cut scene.
Old 11-20-02, 12:33 PM

heh. As much as I loved the first MGS, if MGS 3 is as bad as Sons of Liberty, story wise, I might give up on the series. I disliked the story and characters THAT much.

And I never thought I would say the above either... wow
Old 11-20-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mopower
Well said.
Old 11-20-02, 12:55 PM

US gamers are too stupid for cinema games says Konami.
Old 11-20-02, 04:07 PM

I think its pretty simple actually, MGS has never done so well in Japan as it has in the U.S., so in order to get japanese gamers more involved with the series theyll ask them theyre opinions on it and hopefully make a MGS that will appeal to more japanese gamers.
Old 11-20-02, 05:10 PM

I'm betting Hideo was in colaboration with Lucas on "How to screw up a franchise."
Old 11-20-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I'm betting Hideo was in colaboration with Lucas on "How to screw up a franchise."
Most would probably say Hideo already has and doesn't need too...though I personally liked MGS2 quite a bit ( was my first MG game, then progressed backwards and saw why people hated it so much )...that being said - watch 24 S2 become MGS 3
Old 11-20-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because the Japanese know how to better make games than us.
Old 11-20-02, 10:50 PM
Banned

The only bad thing about MGS2 was the ending. The rest of the game was near perfection. If the ending was reasonable, the game would be considered one of the greatest of all time. With that said, I can't wait for the third installment. I don't care who they ask as long as they pick out a better story line.
Old 11-20-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by darqleo
not.
Old 11-20-02, 11:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Trigger
not.
yes it's true, japan is the king of video games
Old 11-21-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My head has just exploded........
I've been playing through MGS 2 the last few days, since I finally got it back from a friend after all these months. The gameplay is awesome. The story, though not believable like the first, is still good. Then I get to the ending, and after I watch the hour-long video, I said to myself "What in the ever loving jumping jesus christmas sh*t?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!" and my head promptly exploded. I really enjoyed MGS 2, and it is now in my list of favorite games, but due to the ending, it slips below the original. That ending just threw a major curveball - just spun right around and smacked me in the forehead. I don't think I'm going to be able to function properly in my classes over the next several days, until my brain heals........

*Note to self: Subscribe to Famistu under many names, and repeatedly tell Hideo to not think so hard next time, and lay off whatever he was smoking.......
Old 11-21-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by IC_Freeze
yes it's true, japan is the king of video games
not.
Old 11-21-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshd2012
The only bad thing about MGS2 was the ending. The rest of the game was near perfection. If the ending was reasonable, the game would be considered one of the greatest of all time. With that said, I can't wait for the third installment. I don't care who they ask as long as they pick out a better story line.
*ahem*

MGS2 was a heaping steaming pile of dog turds

Lets see, let me chart out for you, the mistakes Konami made :
(SPOILERS AHOY!)
1)Made MGS, became a huge success, sequel was guaranteed(not a mistake)

Now the rest are all "**** ups"

2)Began releasing screens of MGS2. Graphics looked amazing, yet all the screens took place on the boat level. We got to see Solid Snake creeping around, the Russian bosses, etc. Great looking package so far. We even got to see the shadow of an older boss..

3)Keep press constantly talking about it, by sending demos out to the various mags, all centering on said boat level.

4)Release "full" demo to the public, allowing us to play the boat level.

5)Anticipation for MGS2 is at an all time high, every gamer in the country wants to play with Solid Snake

6)Release MGS2 at 10AM to all stores in the country.

7)First post on GameFAQs at 12:15PM "What the hell, who is Raiden?"

8)Gamers expecting a 20 hour+ mission with Solid , are given the 1-2 hour boat level, and then the rest of the game is played with Raiden.

9)Konami never told anyone about Raiden

10)Raiden is a *****
Old 11-21-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Did anybody really expect a 20 hour game with MGS2? MGS on PSX had about 3 hours of actual gameplay, and 7 hours of talking and cut scenes, just like MGS2.
Old 11-21-02, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by outcastja
Did anybody really expect a 20 hour game with MGS2? MGS on PSX had about 3 hours of actual gameplay, and 7 hours of talking and cut scenes, just like MGS2.
I can't do spoiler tags.. so bare with me... reader beware!

Yes quite frankly I expected 12-15 hours of gameplay. The cutscenes in MGS1 were not even as long as drawn out as this. There may have been more of them, but broken up to keep the flow of gameplay. The last 4 hours of the game is 3.5 hours of cutscenes..

MGS1 gave you weapons and scenerios that would exploit those weapons.. making them useful and practical. in MGS2, the weapons are just there for your liking. Literally the whole game can be played with the tranquilizer gun, the Nikita once, Rocket Launcher once and the Sniper rifle once.

Running around naked? ... yeah thats espionage... this portion in the tunnel.. I can't tell you how many people I have discussed this game with actually turned off their PS2 and reset the game because of this... ridiculous.

Otacon and his sister..... a bit creepy and taboo for this type of game.

plus.. it's the only game I can remember where you don't actually kill the last boss. Where is the fun in that?
Old 11-21-02, 12:49 PM

Kojima made the right choice. I wouldn't want any of your opinions affecting MGS3 either.
Old 11-21-02, 01:01 PM

I'm yet another person who agrees with this freaking statement. What is worse than the CONSTANT cut scenes are the totally impertinent garbage that you have to read over the freaking nano skull disaster that they implanted into the character’s head. Honestly, my son couldn’t even play this game. He kept asking, “why does it keep stopping and showing stuff every time I move?” LOL! I’m not joking! I loved the actual gameplay of the game but the LOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGG boring story and chat has to go. People who like this are the people who complain about Halo building the story into the actual action, which I liked a LOT. It isn’t that I hate cut scenes at all but man, give it a rest already.
Old 11-21-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But every magazine said it was Game of the Year!
Old 11-21-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
But every magazine said it was Game of the Year!
I thought that those went to GTAIII and Halo.
Old 11-21-02, 01:39 PM
Retired

Originally posted by darqleo
So true. With the exception of a couple of games by Rare, there are no non-japanese developed games in my top 10 or 20.
Old 11-21-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still think MGS2 is one of the best games ever made. On this forum I am in the minority.

If you watch the progression of Kojima's games you would understand why there is the "Holy S***!" factor of the ending in Metal Gear Solid 2.

Kojima is a very philosophical man and you see pieces of it in the original Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders and other games he has made. He let his philosophical ideas get the best of him toward the end of MGS2. What you are listening to in that section is Kojima's view of the world and how screwed up it is.

In some ways I think MGS2 got away from him storywise. In many ways it is like reading the body of a book. It's not the beginning and it's not the ending. Shenmue II is a lot like that, in both games the door is left wide open at the end for a sequel. I think this may be why Kojima is only going to oversee MGS3 and not work on it himself. You have to eliminate most of the ending and just think about the last little bit where:

Spoiler:
They talk about the Patriots and that they are still alive. In many ways MGS2 was a situational set-up for Raiden to learn battle tactics. Why the heck they put Raiden in it is anyones guess until MGS3 comes out as there are many different ways you can interpret the ending phase of MGS2.

Kojima created something for people to think about, I just think he may have made it too convoluted for anyone to figure out.

These are just my ramblings though...heed no attention to them. I still think MGS2 is a great game and has a great story until the very end. Many do not like the cutscenes, but did we expect anything else after MGS? That's the big question in my mind...
Old 11-21-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
I still think MGS2 is one of the best games ever made. On this forum I am in the minority.

If you watch the progression of Kojima's games you would understand why there is the "Holy S***!" factor of the ending in Metal Gear Solid 2.

Kojima is a very philosophical man and you see pieces of it in the original Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders and other games he has made. He let his philosophical ideas get the best of him toward the end of MGS2. What you are listening to in that section is Kojima's view of the world and how screwed up it is.

In some ways I think MGS2 got away from him storywise. In many ways it is like reading the body of a book. It's not the beginning and it's not the ending. Shenmue II is a lot like that, in both games the door is left wide open at the end for a sequel. I think this may be why Kojima is only going to oversee MGS3 and not work on it himself. You have to eliminate most of the ending and just think about the last little bit where:

Spoiler:
They talk about the Patriots and that they are still alive. In many ways MGS2 was a situational set-up for Raiden to learn battle tactics. Why the heck they put Raiden in it is anyones guess until MGS3 comes out as there are many different ways you can interpret the ending phase of MGS2.

Kojima created something for people to think about, I just think he may have made it too convoluted for anyone to figure out.

These are just my ramblings though...heed no attention to them. I still think MGS2 is a great game and has a great story until the very end. Many do not like the cutscenes, but did we expect anything else after MGS? That's the big question in my mind...
I agree. The game was great until that ending - extreme philosophical crap to the nth degree. He just went way too far in his description of problems with the world, and it ruined the ending for me. I didn't have a problem with the cutscenes - they were good until the end also. My main concern was with the gameplay, which was wonderful, that's why this game is still among my favorites, but it doesn't surpass the original. I must agree with Tigger about the weapons - I played through the entire game just using the M9, except the sections requiring use of specific weapons(few and far between).
All in all, MGS 2 was a wonderful game, but Kojima needs a "chill pill" before he does anything for MGS 3.
Old 11-21-02, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the story was lousy throughout the game and the ending was beyond terrible.

If they get someone other than Kojima to work out the story then I'll be interested in MGS3. I don't play games to hear some game designer espouse his hack philosophy. It didn't bother me in MGS because it was just a small portion of a coherent story, MGS2 was heavy-handed and obnoxious. Who the hell would be interested in playing a game that Sartre designed?

I hope that MGS3 is a tad less story heavy, focuses on the actual gameplay (which is still good in MGS2) and has less of the comic book supervillians.