Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No Sega for Gamecube next year...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Sega for Gamecube next year...?

I saw this on Yahoo! Business:

We'll have to narrow down our focus in the U.S. sports game software business," said Kayama, adding that Sega plans to completely halt developing such software on its own for Gamecube from next fiscal year.
Here's the link for the complete story:

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/021120/0433000270_1.html

Does this mean Sega will farm out development for the Gamecube? Possibly have Nintendo handle all of their development internally? An interesting development, considering how tight Sega has been with Microsoft...

Jeremy
Old 11-20-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take it to mean that you should not expect any Sports games (NFL2k4, NBA2k4, WSB2k3, NHL2k4) to come out for the GameCube next year. I would guess given that the GameCube versions of these games come out weeks after the PS2 and X-Box version that it just is not cost efficient to bring them out on GameCube.

If you look at some sales statistics (someone over on the IGN boards shows 3 regional section sales from Best Buy), the PS2 and X-Box versions of these games have outsold the GameCube version. Face it, the GameCube is hindered on Sports games because of:

1. The blur effect used
2. The memory card limitation
3. The unwieldy controller for Sports Games.

This is only on Sports games they are talking about, not the whole Sega line. I doubt it will be farmed out. They are losing money in this arena and the GameCube port is the easiest one to cut because of low sales.
Old 11-20-02, 08:08 AM

I agree with AgtFox completely. I especially agree with the how horrible the controller is for sports games.
Old 11-20-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

yeah sports, probably, but since the only Sega Million Sellers are for the Cube (monkey Ball, Sonic and soon to be Monkey Ball 2), I doubt Sega is going to pull out from the system.
Old 11-20-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Not to mention F-Zero. That no doubt will be a million seller.
Old 11-20-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's true that SEGA's sports game haven't sold well on the Cube but I can't believe they still don't make at least a small profit from them. Plus I think next year might be the year SEGA puts out some really good sports games leading to better sales accross all 3 systems.
Old 11-20-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GC will still get Madden though since it seams to do okay, but I think overall the memory card issue has hurt the sports game area. I won't be surprised to see sports releases cut down.

I had no problem with the controller, but the memory card thing was a big mistake.
Old 11-20-02, 11:20 AM

When it comes to Nintendo hardware and sports games take your pick of problems. Ever since the N64 Nintendo has created a bad system for sports games. Someone in another thread mentioned that Madden 2003 GC looked almost identical to Madden 2003 on Xbox and I couldn't disagree more. The GC just isn't getting any love in the sports area of gaming. Oh well, I'll be happy playing Metroid. Now if they would reconsider that stupid looking Zelda style (I know they won't . Just venting)
Old 11-20-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by Kainan
When it comes to Nintendo hardware and sports games take your pick of problems. Ever since the N64 Nintendo has created a bad system for sports games.
You mean ever since the SNES. With few exceptions most people prefered the Genesis over the SNES in terms of sports games. Although I don't know why.
Old 11-20-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tanman
You mean ever since the SNES. With few exceptions most people prefered the Genesis over the SNES in terms of sports games. Although I don't know why.
If I remember correctly, Sega had a close relationship with EA Sports and the Genesis received much love from them. I'm not even sure EA Sports titles were on the SNES, though I'm sure they were.
Old 11-20-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not even sure EA Sports titles were on the SNES, though I'm sure they were.
They were.
Old 11-20-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You scared me with the subject heading on this thread, i thought sega was dropping out completely, but thank goodness they were only talking about the sega sports game .
Old 11-20-02, 01:12 PM

I owned both the SNES and Genesis, and I found that the Genesis versions of EA games were always better. The Madden and NHL versions just seemed to play better, the SNES copies has a more arcade feel to them. NHL especially was nothing more than an up and down shootout, devoid of the control that the Genesis offered.

Never understood why. I love Nintendo's games, but their systems never seem to offer this sports fanatic much satisfaction.
Old 11-20-02, 01:55 PM
Retired

I've never had a problem with sports games on the GC controller. I actually prefered it to the others for NBA Street, Madden 2002 and NBA 2K2.

The memory card is worthless for sports games though, I buy the PS2 (bought one in May) versions now just for that reason.
Old 11-20-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Good - maybe Sonic will come to the Xbox. This sounds like it's just sports games though and I doubt they will be missed on the Cube.
Old 11-20-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The EA Sports series of games didn't make it onto the SNES until a couple of years after they started on the genesis I believe.

Chris
Old 11-20-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EA's games were on the SNES from the start, or at least very close to the start. The Genny was released a year earlier though (I think).
Old 11-20-02, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Chris_D
The EA Sports series of games didn't make it onto the SNES until a couple of years after they started on the genesis I believe.

Chris
Yeah, there was a definite lag with the EA sports games coming out on the SNES, although I don't recall it being several years but more likely several months. They also didn't play as well on the SNES compared to their Genesis counterparts. No one should be shocked by this Sega Sports announcement, though. Almost no one buys a Gamecube to play sports games (you can get a PS2 or Xbox for that). It's for the few premiere first party titles that you get each year. I know that's the only reason why I bought it!
Old 11-20-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sega's Law:

Next year all the EA games will sell like crazy on the Cube.
Old 11-20-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AgtFox
3. The unwieldy controller for Sports Games.
Thats just crazy talk. Unless your hands are as big as your head theres no way the cube has a more "unwieldy" controller than the box. I chose the Box for my sports gaming this year and last but it was in spite of the controller not because of it.
Old 11-20-02, 09:47 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Here are some numbers for NBA 2K3 sales in October from IGN's article:

PS2: 98,000
XBox: 53,000
Gamecube: 7,000

I'd be suprised to see Sega continue supporting a platform that will only make them lose money. And you can forget about any extra effort added into their games, such as online support.
Old 11-20-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing I would like to add. Sega did bring some of this poor sales of 2K3 on themselves by making a terrible port of NFL and a mediocre port of NBA. No one is going to buy the GameCube version, even if they prefer it when the games look much worse than the PS2 and Xbox versions.
Old 11-20-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is the cube version of nfl2k3 horrible? cuase i was thinkin of pickin it up
Old 11-20-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Sega will probably take its football game Xbox exclusive anyway. Madden pounds them on PS2 every year. They should take advantage of the fact that EA isn't on Xbox live, and give Microsoft a good exclusive online football game.

Fever is pathetic.
Old 11-20-02, 10:43 PM
Retired

I'd say they still sell enough copies of NFL2Kx on the PS2 to justify putting it out, simply due to the huge installed base. NBA2K2 sold nearly twice as many copies on the PS2 as the X-box, according to Flay's numbers posted above.

Plus, it's not like X-box owners are going to be more likely to buy NFL2K4 if it's exclusive to the system, than they are if it's on the PS2 and X-box.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.