Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Plasma TV out there?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-19-02, 12:29 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into getting a 42 or 52 inch Plasma TV, which name brand is the best to get, and are plasma tvs worth the price, I need a flat tv for my house and want it to watch Sports and DVDs. Thanks
Old 11-19-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been hearing that the plasma screen begins to die after a few years. Don't know if it's true, but it's scared me away from purchasing one. Maybe if I could get a reasonably priced 5-year extended warranty, it might help to ease the fears.
Old 11-19-02, 02:22 PM

Watching Sporting events on a Plasma TV will be a nasty experience if it is delivered in standard definition. A typical regular cable feed looks awful on a Plasma screen. I know...we have one at work hooked to a cable feed. Unwatchable

Also..screen fade is a reality after 36-48 months. We've had ours for 2 years (yes they paid a fortune) and I can already see some fade
Old 11-19-02, 02:44 PM
Cool New Member

According to what I have read from other web site, Sat and some digital cable services have broadcasting in HDTV, so it looks much better on a plasma. But with a regular cable feed, with the signal stretched out, yeah it doesn't look good, but I was told you can change to settings to have it look like a regular tv screen, but you lose inches all around the screen with grey.

Some of the 5th generations of Plasma have a life of at least 5 years, they keep getting better from what I have heard.

So does anyone know which kind of brand would be better?
Old 11-19-02, 03:38 PM

For the 42", the Panasonic PT-42PHD4-P is probably the best. For the 50", the Fujitsu is, then perhaps the Panny, then the Pioneer.
Old 11-20-02, 12:29 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

^ bingo!, but go to the avsforum.com and go to the plasma section, really great info, on plasmas, I had a chance to get a $8.000 Sony 42 in. plasma and am now going to get the Grand Wega 50" for the same price
Old 11-20-02, 07:19 PM

What web site did you read about that says some digital cable services will be broadcasting hdtv? Link me plz
Old 11-21-02, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Um, boy there is a ton of confusion here.

I can only speak for one leading brand but their half life is 30,000 hours.

Do the math-
10 hours a day = over 8 years (half life). So if you watch all day everyday you will have 16 years of life. No problem!

The recommendations above differ from what I would suggest but I am biased . What I recommend is taking a good look at the black levels and fast motion. This is the key area that sets the best apart from the rest.

As to the standard broadcast you need to be clear that there are many none HD plasmas that also are missing the image processing. There are sets that are fine.
Old 11-21-02, 09:57 AM

Do a lot of research, I have a Pioneer Plasma, as my bedroom unit, and like it just great. I do not use cable, I use Directv, but in my area (tampa), the local cable is offering HDTV feeds. Not on all, but on 4 channels. HBO, SHO, and two local networks.