Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP! My friend dosnt 'get' console gaming!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 10:42 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy is a GREAT FPS player with games like doom/unreal/medal of honor, etc. but on the COMPUTER.

He came over to see my Xbox setup with Live and he couldnt get the hang of the controls. i tried warming him up on halo, unreal single player, it just didnt work. He hates the 2 joysticks controler and cant get used to the strafing/jumping with it. He's used to the keyboard/mouse combo.

Is there a different controler you can buy that would be easier for him to 'get' (i have the s-controlers)?

OR.. Should i just accept that theres just a level that PC Gamers wont cross over? Of everyone I know this guy would be the best to convert to Xbox so i could play him live. Should i give up?
Old 11-19-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
he did not like it so what can you do.

FPS's are better on a PC if you know how to play them(he does) and you are able to keep your PC up to date.
Old 11-19-02, 12:25 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

will xbox ever support a keyboard/mouse type controller?
Old 11-19-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So FPS 's are the only games he plays? How boring.
Old 11-19-02, 12:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
For a veteran PC FPS fan, trying to play with a console controller is like driving a car with square wheels or playing Super Mario Brothers with only a mouse. It can be done, but the frustration is rarely worth the effort.

I suggest you play more "console oriented" multiplayer games with your friend, like Hunter and Baldur's Gate.
Old 11-19-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FPS games are just plain better on the PC.....

Sports games are just plain better on the console....
Old 11-19-02, 01:53 PM

I had a tough time getting the hang of the controls when starting out on Halo, but after an hour or so, I got used to it. He just needs to put a little effort into it.

If not, then there's not really any other way to learn.. heh.
Old 11-19-02, 02:07 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Groucho
For a veteran PC FPS fan, trying to play with a console controller is like driving a car with square wheels or playing Super Mario Brothers with only a mouse. It can be done, but the frustration is rarely worth the effort.
Yes. This is how I felt with SOCOM. The mouse-keyboard PC setup feels so natural to me, and with the ability to change key configurations to the config I learned with, I slide into most PC FPSes with ease and I'm quickly kicking butt. I was anticipating SOCOM for the longest time, I have no doubt that it's wonderful, and maybe someday I will get into it... but there are so many great new and old FPSes for the PC out right now that I don't miss it one bit.

However, I've played the hell out of NCAA Football 2002/3, Frequency, SSX Tricky, and the Grand Theft Auto games on my PS2. I love console gaming in general, but console FPSes just infuriate me to no end.

Save Ferris, have you considered loading up some games like UT2K3, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, or MOH: Spearhead on your PC so that you could go online with him that way?
Old 11-19-02, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Yes. This is how I felt with SOCOM. The mouse-keyboard PC setup feels so natural to me, and with the ability to change key configurations to the config I learned with, I slide into most PC FPSes with ease and I'm quickly kicking butt. I was anticipating SOCOM for the longest time, I have no doubt that it's wonderful, and maybe someday I will get into it... but there are so many great new and old FPSes for the PC out right now that I don't miss it one bit.

However, I've played the hell out of NCAA Football 2002/3, Frequency, SSX Tricky, and the Grand Theft Auto games on my PS2. I love console gaming in general, but console FPSes just infuriate me to no end.
Agreed....hey static...do u play MOH online and if so under what name?
Old 11-19-02, 02:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Young Vito
Agreed....hey static...do u play MOH online and if so under what name?
I've been playing the MOH: Spearhead demo recently under the name LLJK Charlie Foxtrot. Haven't picked up the full version yet, and I think I'm going to avoid it for now because I procrastinate enough without adding ANOTHER FPS game to my stable.
Old 11-19-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by JaxComet
FPS games are just plain better on the PC.....

Sports games are just plain better on the console....
I think this really all depends on how you prefer playing. I noticed that many people here who are avid PC gamers obviously prefer PC FPSes and the mouse-keyboard setup, and I noticed most didn't consider Halo as great as console gamers such as myself did. Being a console gamer since I was around 5 and bought an Atari I have been groomed on controllers, and consider my two favorite FPSes to be Goldeneye and now Halo. Yes, I have played many PC FPSes and attempted the mouse/keyboard combo, but found it something that I didn't prefer. So while I sort of like playing FPSes on the PC, I would like it more if I could use my S-type controller to do so.
Old 11-19-02, 03:17 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally posted by Static Cling
Save Ferris, have you considered loading up some games like UT2K3, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, or MOH: Spearhead on your PC so that you could go online with him that way? [/B]
His PC is better than mine and I just got my Xbox im puttin all my spare change into that puppy for gaming. Id feel like a chump if i just got an Xbox and then start buyin lots of pc stuff.
Old 11-19-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've played heaps of FPS on pc but it didn't take me long to get the hang of the Halo Xbox controls. They're certainly much improved over the controls on older console fps games like goldeneye (having 2 analog sticks is better than 1) and the xbox sticks are about as tight as any I've used.

If he gives it a chance he'll find halo is an immersive 1 player (and 2p coop if he can get over the split screen) experience.. especially if you have a big tv and 5.1 sound .

Chris
Old 11-19-02, 10:20 PM
Banned

You should try showing some non-FPS games, because well there's a hell of a lot out there are tons better.
Old 11-19-02, 11:09 PM

The Xbox and Halo made me a believer that FPS's are better on the console.