Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Would I benefit from bi-wiring?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an old Pioneer Elite 09TX receiver with Tannoy S10 (mains), S8c (center), S8LR (rears) and PS350 (sub).

Would this set up benefit from bi-wiring?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-19-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since no one would benefit from bi-wiring, I'd say no.

Actually, there's one group of people that benefit from "buy-wiring"...

IMO, of course.
Old 11-19-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you would benefit from biamping but not biwiring, depending on the speakers, receiver and setup. I dont know what those speakers look like so this is just a IMHO post

If the speakers are big towers and you run them in "large" mode, I think adding a seperate power amp to drive the larger mid-bass woofers would help make sure they have enough power.

If you run them in "small" mode and use the sub for the bass then bi-amping wouldnt help since you dont need all the power reserves for the low frequencies.

This probably isnt much help at all since in is about biamping and not biwiring though
Old 11-19-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by stevevt
Since no one would benefit from bi-wiring, I'd say no.
That's a pretty bold statement, steve.
Care to elaborate, or should I just take it as your opinion and move along to another post?
Old 11-19-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
That's a pretty bold statement, steve.
Care to elaborate, or should I just take it as your opinion and move along to another post?
I've done a little comparison between bi-wired and plain-old-single-wired hookups, and couldn't hear a difference. I do not, of course, take this limited experience as proof that nobody would ever hear a difference in his own system.

I just believe* that the money that would be spent on extra wiring in becoming bi-wired can always be spent in a different way that will make a bigger (aka "actual") improvement in somebody's system. And if you happen to be in a position where you own a top-notch system where there's nothing left to upgrade, I recommend going out and buying yourself some software.

* again, this belief is from my limited experience as well as reading and thinking about it, and of course, this is all my opinion.
Old 11-19-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by stevevt
I've done a little comparison between bi-wired and plain-old-single-wired hookups, and couldn't hear a difference. I do not, of course, take this limited experience as proof that nobody would ever hear a difference in his own system.

I just believe* that the money that would be spent on extra wiring in becoming bi-wired can always be spent in a different way that will make a bigger (aka "actual") improvement in somebody's system. And if you happen to be in a position where you own a top-notch system where there's nothing left to upgrade, I recommend going out and buying yourself some software.

* again, this belief is from my limited experience as well as reading and thinking about it, and of course, this is all my opinion.
Well, it's good that you actually did experiment for yourself (that's more than some people can claim). My current speakers are bi-wired (just the mains) and I love it. I will say also that equipment makes the difference, and usually a set-up with a receiver will yield little differences in sonic improvement, regardless of wiring variations.
Then again, could be my psychoacoustics acting up again...it's all in my head.
Cheers.
Old 11-20-02, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Would I benefit from bi-wiring?

Originally posted by El Gordo
I have an old Pioneer Elite 09TX receiver with Tannoy S10 (mains), S8c (center), S8LR (rears) and PS350 (sub).

Would this set up benefit from bi-wiring?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
If you have the proper equipment then yes.

Speakers with two sets of five-way binding posts have the ability to independently driver the upper and lower frequency drivers bypassing the crossover. Such speakers are equipped with a jumper cable that connects both sets of binding posts together so that a signal applied to one post is applied to the corresponding post (positive to positive and negative to negative). However, the jumpers can be removed so that each set of binding posts may connect to their own speaker wires. The wires can then be connected to separate amplifiers (bi-amplifying) or connected to the same amplifier (bi-wiring).
http://www.audiovideo101.com/learn/a...speakers19.asp