Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 11-19-02 "Dichotic"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
Smallville 11-19-02 "Dichotic"

Welcome to the Smallville thread for 11-19-02. Tonight we return to the old freak of the week storyline.
Spoiler:
Jonathan Taylor Thomas returns to tv tonight as the freak who can clone himself. He tries to kill Chloe and Lana. Clark tries to save them.
Old 11-19-02, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was an ok episode, I liked the fact that they were getting away from the freak of the week thing, mabey it was just a one time thing to put JTT on the show, finally Clark sticks up for himself there at the end, gotta stop letting the chicks run his life
Old 11-19-02, 09:18 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I never expected the Nine Iron incident Lex at the start of the show. The evil is taking over. Weeee!

I liked the ending too.

Clark: "I just want to be friends"

Lana: "Are you sure, Clark?"

ClarK: "Heck yah, I'm sure. I've got a new love interest next week. Didn't you see the preview? She's a hottie."
Old 11-19-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The episode was okay, but the whole thing was overshadowed by a bit from next week's preview:
Spoiler:

Lex's line "What about Lana?!"
Old 11-19-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I thought the only great part was Lex going loco on the meter-maid's car. The new doctor was a welcome addition. But I didn't need to see the tv return of Jonathan Taylor Thomas - story was kind of blah. What the hell do those girls have against Clark, so he has some secrets - he has only saved their lives a thousand times - who gives a sh1t if he has a few secrets!

"Don't worry, I just pulled your ass off of the dam, but you can go ahead and be bitter towards me."
Old 11-20-02, 12:07 AM

I liked it not for the plot but for everything else like Lex going 9 iron and his new love interest.

Why did Chloe assume Ian was a freakwho could spit in 2 and not just idential twins scamming them and everyone else?

I loved the ending where Clark stood up to both Lana and Chloe and walk out on them for a change. I also liked the look and his face as he walked away from the Coffeee Shop. Kinda satified that he was right.
Old 11-20-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by blakader
I liked it not for the plot but for everything else like Lex going 9 iron and his new love interest.

Why did Chloe assume Ian was a freakwho could spit in 2 and not just idential twins scamming them and everyone else?
I thought the same thing, she never saw him do that. Maybe he confessed when they found the 2nd body at the bottom of the Damm.

The guy should know something is up with Clark. He might turn up in another show down the road.

Did you know that Smallvillie is the number on show on cable!!!!!
I even has more people watching it than some shows on the 3 big stations.
Old 11-20-02, 12:54 AM
Banned

They really need to get a way from these Freak of the weak storylines. It does nothing for the show.
JTT should did grow up good though.
Old 11-20-02, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I thought the same thing, she never saw him do that. Maybe he confessed when they found the 2nd body at the bottom of the Damm.

The guy should know something is up with Clark. He might turn up in another show down the road.

I loved it when Ian hit Clark with that metal beam, I almost expected him to look at him and say,"bad vibrations?"

Great news for Smallville! Its so cool to see these comic book based tv shows and movies do really great in the mainstream!
Old 11-20-02, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More and more I wonder why I watch this show. I guess I'm just comfortable with it, because I actually don't think it's that great. It's alright. I think I'm sticking around because I can't wait until Lex turns evil. That should be fun.

The biggest nitpick I have with this episode is that Clark defied the laws of physics and fell to the ground faster than Chloe did. That was so frickin' weak.

Also, I didn't really understand the smug look on Clark's face after he walked out Chloe and Lana at the end.

Oh yeah, one more thing...I hate how they kept ramming it down our throat that you can't be at two different places at the same time. Clark said it to his mom. And it was said by one or two other people. Alright, we get it!

JTT.....ugh. I was never a fan of Home Improvement, so I could've done without seeing him. Who's next? Macaulay Culkin?

Anybody here watch Charmed? I swear that the Dr. Bryce character in this episode played a doctor/gypsy in an episode of Charmed earlier this year.

Old 11-20-02, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
More and more I wonder why I watch this show. I guess I'm just comfortable with it, because I actually don't think it's that great. It's alright. I think I'm sticking around because I can't wait until Lex turns evil. That should be fun.

The biggest nitpick I have with this episode is that Clark defied the laws of physics and fell to the ground faster than Chloe did. That was so frickin' weak.

Well Clark did talk about how he seemed to will himself toword Lana during that twister episode. I don't think it is to far fetched to think that he would will himself toword the ground faster than Lana was falling, but I could be wrong there
Old 11-20-02, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by blakader
Well Clark did talk about how he seemed to will himself toword Lana during that twister episode. I don't think it is to far fetched to think that he would will himself toword the ground faster than Lana was falling, but I could be wrong there
Well yeah, you're wrong cause Chloe was the one that was falling. Seriously, I think the writers should've had him run to the bottom of the dam instead. It would've made more sense than to have him defy the laws of physics and fall faster than Chloe.

I usually don't like nitpicking (since there are always going to be some flaws), but this thing was so stupid that I can't believed the writers did this. Hell, most elementary school kids know that a bowling ball and a penny will fall at the same exact speed....yeesh.

Old 11-20-02, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant

Smallville isn't on cable, so this makes no sense.

Matt
Old 11-20-02, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MvRojo
Smallville isn't on cable, so this makes no sense.

Matt
Even if it was on cable the Sopranos still has almost double its audience.
Old 11-20-02, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As for him "falling" faster than Chloe, I felt that they were trying to show that he was learning to propel himself faster thru the air. He got a taste of flying in the Twister episode and now in this one. He didn't just fall, he used his powers to will himself to propel faster. He just doesn't realize how to fly yet. I wonder if when he does realize it more we will get some scenes like the Greatest American Hero where he's stumbling around and fumbling. That was one thing I loved about GAH--the hero DID NOT know how to fly right away. As if anybody would, and I see they are going with that concept in Smallville. I say that was a good touch.
Old 11-20-02, 07:42 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Well yeah, you're wrong cause Chloe was the one that was falling. Seriously, I think the writers should've had him run to the bottom of the dam instead. It would've made more sense than to have him defy the laws of physics and fall faster than Chloe.

I usually don't like nitpicking (since there are always going to be some flaws), but this thing was so stupid that I can't believed the writers did this. Hell, most elementary school kids know that a bowling ball and a penny will fall at the same exact speed....yeesh.

Superman can fly. Clark just doesn't know it yet. All he knows is that he is indestructable and passionate about saving his friends. He willed himself down faster than Chloe as he did in the Twister with Lana.

Last edited by Flay; 11-20-02 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-20-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm a little tired of the "you're not honest with me/us, Clark" dialogue. First, it's just getting annoying, give the guy a break. Second, it's VERY unlike how any teenager would act, unless they were on Dawson's Creek. Lana can't go one single week w/out telling her friend how she feels? How about a week where they just act awkward around each other??
Old 11-20-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked it. Esp the "S" at the beginning. Nice touch. I'm not bothered by the whole fallilng-faster-than-chloe thing. He's gonna be Superman for crying out loud. He's supposed to save the day.
Old 11-20-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
my only problem with the episode:

Spoiler:
the girls sure blow off the fact that some freako almost kills both of them.

and what did they do with JTT #1?

i liked the lex story. it sucks because i root for lex with the heartbreaking part is knowing what he will become.

Last edited by devilshalo; 11-20-02 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-20-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whether or not Clark is learning to fly, Clark's thinking doesn't really make sense. Being in high school, he should know that he wouldn't be able to catch up to Chloe by jumping after her (unless he already knows he can "will" himself to do such things...which he has never indicated that he knows he can do that). Instead, he should have ran to the bottom of the dam...taking the same route that when he brought Chloe back up to the top of the dam after he caught her.

As for watching him fly, I can't remember which, but the producers said at the beginning of the series that we would never see Clark fly...or don a Superman costume. I can't remember which it was. But they said that if and when he did do whichever one it was, it wouldn't be until the last scene of the series finale. (So it's probably the donning of the Superman tights).

Old 11-20-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Yeah I'm not going to nit-pick the whole gravity/flying thing. I already do that enough with Enterprise and their inconsistencies.
Old 11-20-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Well, if we're talking physics, how about the fact that the impact between her and clark when she fell would've probably killed Chloe anyway?

I could understand why he jumped over to save her. Despite his knowledge of rudimentary physics, I'm sure the first thing that came to his mind was to jump off after her because the fall's not going to hurt him anyway. Sure, he could've spent a second or two thinking it through and then run down, but I doubt he was reacting on anything more than impulse.

What did happen to JTT #1? I thought I just missed a scene, but they never show him going to jail or anything.

So did he get his powers from Kryptonite? They never showed it (for once) and Clark didn't get weak around him.

Why is Chloe always saying that he dumped her? Wasn't she the one that came up with the bright idea to split up?
Old 11-20-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
About the whole physics thing. Clark is an alien and he defies all rules of scientific phenomen.
Old 11-20-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
maybe it was a split emotional decision and he got lucky
he might not have known about the path down to the bottom

"oh crap she fell, I need to catch her
*jump*
how'd I fall faster than her? man that was lucky, maybe I have other powers?"
Old 11-20-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lwhy?
About the whole physics thing. Clark is an alien and he defies all rules of scientific phenomen.
That's extremely poor reasoning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.