Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

help with xmas choice. GCube or PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with xmas choice. GCube or PS2?

Alright. Well, I've finally decided to treat myself to a system.

Now the question is which one to pick up. The reason I'm actually interested now is because I can go for deal

A) Gamecube SMS Bundle with Metroid for $19.99 from Target. For a total of 205 bucks plus tax.

or

B) Wait for the rumored CC pricedrop on November 30th for the PS2 to $150 bucks. Pick up assortment of games.

My favorite game by far of the new generation of systems is Simpsons Road Rage. Sorry. This game has never stopped being fun for me. I also dig GTA3. But there's also Nintendo exlusives that I enjoy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The target deal ends this week so I feel like I have to choose soon.

Thanks.
Talton.
Old 11-19-02, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
If I had to choose, I'd go with the PS2. Just way too many high quality titles on the system for me to pass up.

Cube, and xbox have their token great games... but not enough to push them in front of ps2.

I've had a ps2 since it's initial rollout, a cube since June, and an xbox for the last couple months.

Overall, I find myself going back to the ps2 more than the other two systems. In fact, since Vice City has come out... the other 2 systems are boxed up in the closet.

Take a look at which system has the most games you could see yourself playing... that'll be the decision maker for you.

-k
###
Old 11-19-02, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
it depends on the games. If the PS2 has more games that you want then I would get it. If the GC has more get that.

I do think that if you only want one system that the PS2 with the huge library is the best choice for most people.
Old 11-19-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

go with the cube, a lot of games does not equal better games. They're are plenty of AAA titles for the vube & plenty more coming. Sure PS2 has a tone of titles but there are only a handful of titles I'd be interested in. Selling my PS2 & getting a cube was of of the best decisions I've ever made. Metroid Prime is Amazing.
Old 11-19-02, 03:08 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
PS2. I owned all 3 systems, GC sat and collected dust while PS2 or Xbox get all the play. Besides, you can't play Vice City, SOCOM, and a lot more games on the GC.
Old 11-19-02, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unless you NEED to have those Nintendo exclusives, the PS2 is easily the best choice for a system.
Old 11-19-02, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Around our house, the GCN collects dust and the PS2 and Xbox get even play. I'd personally suggest an Xbox over the PS2 because it's just a better piece of hardware... the PS2 has a larger game library though as of right now and you may find more games that you like for that. It all comes down to the games really... If you're really into Nintendo games, then pick up a Cube... if you're really into sports, then pick up an Xbox or a PS2... if you're really into First Person Shooters, then pick up an Xbox. Give us an idea of what kind of games you like - aside from Road Rage and GTA3.
Old 11-19-02, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like RPG's the PS2 has no equal at the moment.
If you have HDTV the XBox has no equal at the moment.
Old 11-19-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its easy. Look at all the games. Buy the console with the most you want.
Old 11-19-02, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

darkside said it best.

Capt
Old 11-19-02, 11:58 AM

Do you already have an Xbox? People have already stated that if the PS2 drops then the Xbox will do so right before or right after!
The thing to realize about the PS2 is that it is a system that has flexed what bit of muscle it has and the other systems will start to shine (already are) over the PS2. People keep saying PS2 has all the games but what does it have for the Christmas season? It basically has GTA: VC and that is it. Other than that most of the games are cross platform. All of the cross platform games have shown, and will continue to show, to be better on the Xbox other than EA screwing up Need For Speed: HP2.
So, actually the Xbox should be considered because believe me when I say that it WILL drop if the PS2 does if not before. Xbox OWNS November. Games like Mech Assault, Unreal Champ, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, NHL2K3 (Online ONLY on Xbox), and others simply overwhelm the PS2 and GTA:VC and even the GC with Metroid and RE: Zero in my opinion.
I love all my systems but if I were forced to pick one it would be a no brainer to go with the Xbox. I put the GC second. The PS2 is simply losing exclusive titles at the moment and the GC versions of multiplatform games will typically be better than the PS2 version OTHER THAN the SOUND.
Old 11-19-02, 12:42 PM

thanks for all the input.

it's hard because i've had nintendos all my life. that's the kind of gaming i've grown up on. i remember getting my NES that came with super mario brothers and duck hunt. such a cherished memory.

the gamecube does have it's exclusives going for it like metroid, or RE, as well as picking up the sonic series, and more.

but the ps2 does have such a large collection of games. and the exclusives of gta and final fantasy x. it's also backwards compatible which i like since there are so many 6.99 playstation games at best buy.

i like all games that are fun. simple enough. the only games i don't really enjoy are sports games (except for hockey), but that's because i'm not a big sports nut.

but i do enjoy the gauntlet games, or mortal kombat type stuff (including capcom, marvel), as well as FPS's, so on and so forth. i especially love games that i can play with my friends and family.

nothing brings a mother and son closer than a round of MK.

thanks again for everyone's help. hopefully by defining some more of my interests and background it can also focus the advice.

molto grazie.
talton.
Old 11-19-02, 12:46 PM

i've always thought nintendo games were more kiddie-like.....you'll never see anything like GTA on the gamecube....plus, sports titles are my favorite.....so the answer was easy for me
Old 11-19-02, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd go with the PS2. I've got both the GC and the PS2, and the GC sits dormant, while the PS2 gets all the playing time. In fact, I don't think I've even turned on my GC in a month. I will be picking up Metriod though and hope it impresses me more than Nintendo's other big recent releases have...
Old 11-19-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
These cats are all jaded... if you've grown up on Nintendo games, then you should pick up a Gamecube. I didn't grow up on Nintendo games and I also have always felt they are a bit kiddie-like. Gamecube does have some "adult themed" games like Resident Evil and BMX XXX. Even the games that I think are a little kiddie are good - Mario Sunshine and Pikmin are both good games. Gamecube wouldn't be my first choice, but I think for someone who grew up on Nintendo it's the ideal system.
Old 11-20-02, 01:10 AM

okay. well, right now i think i'm leaning towards the gamecube.

but i'm gonna hold off for two days before i make this purchase. so if anyone has any other warnings besides that i'm missing out on gta3 (which i have on my pc) then let me know please.
Old 11-20-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go play test some out Honestly when comes to gaming any opinion other then your own taste is meaninglessly. Im RPG nut so even if I did not enjoy all consoles, PS2 would be mandatory anyhow
Though still waiting on that sequel to Madara 2, come on Konami!!
Old 11-20-02, 03:10 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

If you do decide to get a Gamecube, wait until black friday (day after Thanksgiving) as a store with a big red circle as their logo is selling a GC with Super Smash Brothers and a controller I believe for 150.

Then again, there is a supposed PS2 price drop happening at the end of the month as well to 150.

I still say PS2 and I grew up with Atari, Nintendo, Sega all in my house.
Old 11-20-02, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think since your focus is more on playing with a group of friends or family you should really lean towards the Xbox or GCN since they have the 4 controller ports built in, so buying a multiplayer adapter won't be necessary for multiplayer games.
I also do a lot of videogaming with my friends, and most of that is done on the Xbox so you may want to consider that although we have also played a bit of GCN such as Beach Spikers Vball.
Old 11-20-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GTA 3
GTA Vice City
Ace Combat 4
Gran Turismo
Twisted Metal Black
Devil May Cry
Jak and Daxter
Metal Gear Solid
and on and on and on...

i didn't want to miss out on mario or zelda either, but the PS2 turned out to be a no brainer for me. allowed me to sell my PS1, makes a decent DVD player in the bedroom, and has BY FAR the most AAA titles (many for $20).

please don't take this as a system bash, but i honestly believe that mario and zelda are the ONLY reasons to buy a cube. and i will buy one when zelda comes out, but for now, the PS2 has this generation easily wrapped up in my opinion.

good luck.

is simpson's road rage really THAT good?
Old 11-20-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

PS2.

i owned a Gamecube, and enjoyed it for the year that it was in my possesion, but then i bought Mario Sunshine (one of the games i had been waiting for!) and was so dissapointed. i said screw it, and bought a PS2 and its looking like the best decision i could have made. PS2 just has more of what i want. Besides, i figure a GC will be 100 bucks sometime next year and i'll be able to pick one up again if i absolutely must.

-NiCK
Old 11-20-02, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by crush
is simpson's road rage really THAT good?
for me? yes.

Originally posted by dek
If you do decide to get a Gamecube, wait until black friday (day after Thanksgiving) as a store with a big red circle as their logo is selling a GC with Super Smash Brothers and a controller I believe for 150.
Do you think that's a better deal than the Gamecube (or mario sunshine bundle) plus metroid (for 19.99)?
Old 11-20-02, 09:24 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TLwizard

Do you think that's a better deal than the Gamecube (or mario sunshine bundle) plus metroid (for 19.99)?
Didn't see that, looks about the same though i.e. bundle 150, 50 for Metroid = 200

BTW, Simpsons Road Rage is also available on PS2
Old 11-20-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by TLwizard
thanks for all the input.

it's hard because i've had nintendos all my life. that's the kind of gaming i've grown up on. i remember getting my NES that came with super mario brothers and duck hunt. such a cherished memory.

i like all games that are fun. simple enough. the only games i don't really enjoy are sports games (except for hockey), but that's because i'm not a big sports nut.

but i do enjoy the gauntlet games, or mortal kombat type stuff (including capcom, marvel), as well as FPS's, so on and so forth. i especially love games that i can play with my friends and family.

nothing brings a mother and son closer than a round of MK.

molto grazie.
talton.

It seems that judging by your interest that you should get a Cube. Everyone knows about its big hits ie Zelda, Mario, Metriod, Pikmin.... It is also the king at party games that are fun and simple. easy to pick up and play, ie Mario Party, FZero, Mario Kart. Anyone can just pick up a controller and have a good time.

It also depends on how much gaming you play. I can't spend that much time so I really would rather have a few really good quality games. Nintendo has that. I am satisfied just playing the first party games with a few third party on the side. If you play a lot then the PS2's library can't be beat. One glaring error of the Cube is the total lack of RPGs but that is slowly changing with Phantasy Star Online and Final Fantasy.
Old 11-20-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

for what it's worth, you can get a PS2 now for $179...so if you can sell your PS1 for $30, it's a wash between GC and PS2 as far as price goes.

just make sure you take a long look at available games before you pull the trigger...since that's what it really comes down to. PS2 has several of the most important genres locked up (driver, action, flight combat, vehicle combat...)

for my money, pick up a PS2 and a bunch of $20 titles now and get a GC when Zelda comes out. that's actually exactly what i decided.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.