Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just bought an XBOX, questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought an XBOX, questions?

I just bought an XBOX off a friend of mine for 90 bucks (it came with two controllers, two memory cards, dvd remote and two games) and I have some questions. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

What are some good games that the PS2 does not have ?(I already have ps2 and I get motion sickness for fast action and first person shooters)

He had two memory cards, do I really need these since the XBOX has a hard drive?

How can I put music on my XBOX?

What are some good XBOX sites on the web?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-02, 12:47 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$90.. wow.. thats a deal.

what 2 games did it come with, then we can recommend some games.

to put music on the xbox, all you do is put in a music cd and it should ask you if you want to play it or copy it to the hard drive.
Old 11-18-02, 12:51 PM

You only need the memory cards if you want to bring saved information to a friends house. Or you can use it to back up important saves.
Old 11-18-02, 12:52 PM

Yeah, my friend really needed money bad and offered it to me and I jumped on it. I got Ricky Carmichael MX2002 and Tetris (thinking about dropping em off for store credit at EB) neither title really interests me. So basically all I should have to do on the music is burn a cd on my computer then throw it in the XBOX (Cool). Thanks for the info
Old 11-18-02, 12:53 PM

Thanks kegman, I may trade em in, cause I dont have any other friends with XBOX.
Old 11-18-02, 01:10 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

be advised that the xbox can't read in mp3s... and it also has problems with some blank cds.

The method I posted is for a commercially bought cd. Though a burned cd should work the same way in theory.

I whole-heartedly recommend Halo. I used to hate FPS games and would get sick from playing them sometime. I love Halo and can't wait for Halo 2.

Blood Rayne was an enjoyable game.

Dead or Alive 3 is a great fighting game.
Old 11-18-02, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the info. Cant wait to get off work and try it. I probably will trade my NHL2k3 for PS2 for the XBOX version so I can play it online on XBOX live. I knew there was a reason I had one extra space on my router.
Old 11-18-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, i made the mistake of buying a memory card b/c i forgot that the xbox has a hard drive built in... i'm hoping that i can use it someday

i like rallisport and i am eagerly awaiting colin mcrae rally. other than that, i'm in the same boat - waiting for good games...

i thought need for speed hot pursuit 2 would be good, but it looks like the PS2 version is better.
Old 11-18-02, 02:54 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since yer Xbox was so cheap you might not have any qualms about opening it and modifying it. Check out www.xbox-scene.com and discover the possiblities.
Old 11-18-02, 03:17 PM

Sounds cool, but Im not very tech-savvy so I would have to have someone else "mod" it. That site is very cool. Hurry up 9:00pm LOL
Old 11-18-02, 03:28 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as games, I like Timesplitters 2 very much. It reminded me of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark of Rare fame. It had customizable maps and bots to fight that Halo didnt have. It has TONS of different weapons too. Some people didnt like the controls/aiming mechanism but I didnt mind.
Old 11-18-02, 03:39 PM

Highly Recommended: (in no particular order)

Halo
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Splinter Cell
NBA2k3
WSB2k3
Max Payne
Hitman 2
Metal Gear Solid Substance
Old 11-18-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the heck is Modchip? What's good for?
Old 11-18-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by McHawkson
What's the heck is Modchip? What's good for?
Getting Kicked off of Xbox Live
Old 11-18-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
90 bucks. damn it must have been stolen.
Old 11-18-02, 09:46 PM

Nah it wasnt stolen. I was with him when he bought it about 4 months ago. He needed money really bad. I played MX2002, hated it, Tetris, hated it. Gonna take em to EB tommorrow and see what I can get out of em. Im looking at picking up NHL2k3 for XBOX and either FIFA 2003 or Nascar Thunder 2003. Im definitely getting WSB2k3. Any other suggestions ? Also how is the XBOX magazine? Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I appreciate it.
Old 11-18-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by goLUCKY
Getting Kicked off of Xbox Live
Ah, I don't need it.
Old 11-19-02, 05:12 AM
Cool New Member

If you go on XBox Live with your mod chip on, then yes, you'll get kicked. But if you're careful and deactivate it each time you go online (via a switch or swap trick with the Matrix chip) you won't have a problem with Live.
Old 11-19-02, 05:28 AM
Cool New Member

Of course, you have to consider if it's worth all the bother. Xbox Live has:

Online Gaming
Voice Chat
Friend Lists

Modding your Xbox only has the advantage of:

Running your games off of a big hdd for faster load times, and eliminating the need to get up off your duff to swap discs.
Playing tons of old Arcade, NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, TG-16, Gameboy Advance, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari, PC, N64 and Neo Geo games. I hear there's also an emulator for PS1 coming out with texture filtering and antialiasing.
Playing VCD and DiVX files on your Big Screen.
Trading Game Saves over the net.
Playing massive amounts of MP3s without bothering with CDRWs and burning to disc.
Transferring data at lightspeed via CAT5 cable.
Run Linux or Win98 for a cheap and powerful PC. With a VGA adaptor you're pretty much golden.

I dunno. Guess you'll have to go with what suits you. Personally, I have two. One for Live, and another for that old-school gaming fix. Nothing like having all your old NES games handy (plus any-point saving is an added bonus) without rooting through the attic for ancient plastic cases that may or may not work. Plus with the no-solder mods out there a child could install a chip (their ads say even a woman could, but I don't want to be sexist).
Old 11-19-02, 11:48 AM

Games I feel are MUST OWN

1. Halo- If you own an Xbox you must own Halo. I think it is a rule.
2. Ghost Recon- simply the most realistic FPS war simulation yet IMO. This game has so many LIVE choices and customization it is ridiculous. Only drawback is only ONE person to play online at a time. No 4 player split screen with 4 going online
3. Splinter Cell- Yes this IS the MGS2 KILLER from what I've read so far. I'll give my personal impressions tomorrow most likely
4. UC or Mech Assault for run and gun Online action
5. Moto GP is the sleeper Hit for racers but Rallisport is awesome too
6. Buffy- Believe it or not but this is an AWESOME game and you can get it for $30 right now
7. Sega Sports games (NFL2K3, NHL2K3 for me which are LIVE)

I know I'm missing some but those are off the top of my head.
Old 11-19-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Neil Bruce
If you go on XBox Live with your mod chip on, then yes, you'll get kicked. But if you're careful and deactivate it each time you go online (via a switch or swap trick with the Matrix chip) you won't have a problem with Live.
Yeah, the problem is I will not be able to hear people chatting.
Old 11-20-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kainan
Games I feel are MUST OWN

1. Halo- If you own an Xbox you must own Halo. I think it is a rule.
2. Ghost Recon- simply the most realistic FPS war simulation yet IMO. This game has so many LIVE choices and customization it is ridiculous. Only drawback is only ONE person to play online at a time. No 4 player split screen with 4 going online
3. Splinter Cell- Yes this IS the MGS2 KILLER from what I've read so far. I'll give my personal impressions tomorrow most likely
4. UC or Mech Assault for run and gun Online action
5. Moto GP is the sleeper Hit for racers but Rallisport is awesome too
6. Buffy- Believe it or not but this is an AWESOME game and you can get it for $30 right now
7. Sega Sports games (NFL2K3, NHL2K3 for me which are LIVE)

I know I'm missing some but those are off the top of my head.
I couldn't agree more about Buffy. This was the game that swayed me toward the xbox when I was debating which console to buy (when I was just going to have one, I've recentley added the GC as well). A few games I would add to the list IMO are Morrowind and Hunter the Reckoning. Granted Hunter is not a very deep game, your basic hack and slash type, but a friend and myself have had hours of fun anf frustration working our co-op game on it. Morrowind just flat out an excellent game as you can just follow the story built in or do the numerous side quests that are available.
Old 11-20-02, 08:43 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to all the folks who replied in the thread, and thanks to whomever recommended World Series Baseball. That is simply the best baseball game Ive ever played. I also picked up an XBOX live kit, but havent activated it yet (Waiting for NHL2k3 today) Thanks again, this forum rocks.
Old 11-20-02, 09:18 AM

Copenhagen-

Morrowind is a love/hate game. I loved it at first but then hated it. If there were very few great games out then I would have loved this game and its depth but when you have tons of great games to play it makes it hard to want to invest this much time into a game like Morrowind. This is my take on it anyway. Hunter is good if you have friends. This is a game begging for online play so you can join up with virtual friends if you don't have any real ones that like to play games.
Old 11-20-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see what you are saying about Morrowing it is a love/hate game, I should have added that in my original post. Hunter Live would be awesome and the communicator would be a big help here when your playing partner(s) get you stuck on screen somewhere, which is really my only pet peeve about this title.