Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Network Monopoly/Oligopoly

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-02, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Network Monopoly/Oligopoly

Don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here.

There has been a broo-ha over the emmy awards this week. HBO offered to pay a huge sum of money in order to get the broadcast rights to air the awards show. The neworks refused to outbid HBO. Instead they went to the Acadamy and threatened to boycott (they wouldn't allow clips of their shows to be played and wouldn't allow their network's stars to participate). The academy gave in and turned down the highest bidder (HBO) and went with the nets because of pressure.

Here's todays IMDb article:
The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences agreed to accept an offer from the major TV networks that was significantly lower than one from HBO to televise the Emmy awards over the next eight years after the networks presented a host of threats to boycott the awards telecast, refuse to provide clips from their shows, bar contract personnel from working on it, and mount their own awards special. "They said that this will destroy the academy," an industry source told today's (Friday) Los Angeles Times. CBS chief Leslie Moonves made the case for the TV networks, making what one academy official told the Washington Post was "a very articulate and passionate case for their bid." The Post also observed that academy President Bryce Zabel was hired by Moonves recently to write the pilot for a series titled Black River Falls.
I say this is BS. The studios and networks are blocking the marketplace. If i were the academy and had to settle for less money I'd be pissed. If the networks don't want to pay more, then they don't get the show, that's it. I think the nets have been outdone by HBO to such a degree that they are ashamed and fearful that HBO might out do their coverage of the emmys.
Old 11-15-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If they're free to compete with their shows, like The Sopranos etc, they should be free to compete in showing the awards broadcast, too...

I do think that a non-subscription broadcast is important... But it was disgusting for the networks to blackmail the Emmy's into turning down HBO's offer.
Old 11-15-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About the clips thing:

The Emmys hardly show clips anyway.

I am pretty sure I could live without the clips for Best Drama series.
Old 11-15-02, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Who cares if the Emmy decided to stick to the majors?
Would being on HBO have made any difference in the show, outcome, or presentation (maybe no commericals and a shorter show?). But ATAS is free to accept a low bid if it serves there purpose, the networks played hard ball and ATAS bowed.

business people, not art.
Old 11-16-02, 02:30 PM
Banned

That's why I'm arguing that it is unfair business practices (duh? that's the point of the thread, **** art, who's talking about art anyway) The issue of this thread is why are the major media networks allowed to have such a stranglehold on things. By low balling the acadamy, They are impeding normal business transactions.
Old 11-16-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It wasn't a low ball, it was HBO high balling the thing to try and get some sort of "coup." It's not like this deal has any implication on anything else.

I mean, who cares?