Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

UC and MechAssault--blah

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-02, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UC and MechAssault--blah

Is anybody else disapointed with these games? I can't see myself playing these for more than a month or two. I knew what to expect from Unreal Championship from playing so much Unreal Tournament on the PC but I guess I was looking for something more. You just die and respawn repeatedly. It's been done before and this game doesn't add anything new. Bombing run is new but doesn't impress me.

Mech Assault battles turn into circling matches with no point. There needs to be a base to defend or something. Once all the buildings blow up it is just a big open space.

I don't know, I guess Halo spoiled me. I know every game can't be Halo. I just feel that Halo multiplayer has much more variety than both UC and MA combined. Maybe my expectations were too high?

Halo 2 can't come soon enough.
Old 11-15-02, 09:13 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was afraid of this...

Hope i dont hafta shell out $50 to find this out firsthand. Maybe they'll have downloads that make the game better?
Old 11-15-02, 10:26 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
I was afraid of this...

Hope i dont hafta shell out $50 to find this out firsthand. Maybe they'll have downloads that make the game better?
I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I took a day off from work and was up until 4:00AM last night.

I read some where that other modes of play will be downloadable. Apparently, a "Capture the Flag" mode will be coming soon.
Old 11-15-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well Halo is a whole different game than UC. I don't know why you thought it would play like Halo when UT for PC has been out for so long and everyone knows how this game plays.

But do you really want every game to play like Halo? How boring would that become if every game played the same. I personally like every game to have there own unique play style.

As for MechAssault, there will supposedly be new online modes that users will be able to download. Maybe there will be a new mode you like?
Old 11-15-02, 10:39 AM
RVP

Well I have played Mech Assault for a couple of days now. It is kind of starting to get boring. I have to agree that most battles end up just strafing and shooting each other, there realy isn't much skill or strategy involved it seems. It would be like two fighters just standing still and punching each other repeatedly.

I am hoping more reality based shooters come out, I will try Ghost but I don't realy like the stealth and planning games. I hope something more along the lines of Counterstrike comes out.
Old 11-15-02, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Yeah probably my only complaint on MA is that it needs a cature the flag, defend or some other objectives, maybe in a download patch
Old 11-15-02, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by CreatureX
Well Halo is a whole different game than UC. I don't know why you thought it would play like Halo when UT for PC has been out for so long and everyone knows how this game plays.

But do you really want every game to play like Halo? How boring would that become if every game played the same. I personally like every game to have there own unique play style.
I knew it wouldn't play like Halo. I've put many hours into UT on the PC so I knew what I was getting into. I just hoped they would change it more than they did. There is not that much difference.

I don't want every game to play like Halo, I just think it has more variety in the multiplayer aspect. I don't think UC has any unique style or play. It's the same old, same old. Hopefully they will have some cool downloads soon.
Old 11-15-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will try Ghost but I don't realy like the stealth and planning games.
You're in luck because GR has very little of both.
Old 11-15-02, 11:23 AM

WTH? If a game lasts a month or two, that's great in my book (single player games at least).
Old 11-15-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Scarpa
Yeah probably my only complaint on MA is that it needs a cature the flag, defend or some other objectives, maybe in a download patch
Is anyone else slightly disturbed by this concept?

"Well, we can't get all the gameplay modes done in time for launch, so let's can the capture the flag stuff for now and release it as a patch later..."
Old 11-15-02, 11:45 AM

Well, I picked up Mech Assault and Ghost Recon and I've played both quite a bit. My impression of MechAssault pretty much goes along with what gross said. You end up going in endless circles. Nothing but straff and fire. I guess I imagined the jet power playing a bigger role but to me it is virtually useless. Yeah you float up in the air a ways but they are still blasting away at you while you are doing it AND it makes it more difficult for you to fire. After saying this I must say that I'm going to give the game a few more days to see if I find some strategy. Two of my good buddies both like it and say to give it some time to learn TEAM techniques and it will get better. I'm thinking of trading it for UC. If I'm going to be in a straff fest I would like more maps, more missions, etc.

Now to Ghost Recon. I'm a Halo FANATIC and I must say that this might top even the mighty Halo if you enjoy sniping. This game makes SOCOM look like a kids game on the Playstation. The graphics are MUCH cleaner, the maps are 10 times the size as you seem to be able to see forever into the distance, and the control is a LOT more refined. I expected a lot from GR but I never dreamed I would be this happy. Did I mention that when you go online you not only play against others but you can get with some buddies and play through your missions as a team. It is like taking the troops in the single player game and replacing them all with friends!!!!!! This is too cool. This game has a plethora of gaming options. You can turn spawing on and how many times and where you want them to spawn, choose maps, choose # of kills, choose time limit (or not), and so on.
I can not say enough good about this game. Almost everyone I've played with has MechAssault and they are considering taking it back and they love GR. I haven't heard a person yet say he didn't like GR. This game is awesome. Imagine Gulch on Halo but about 10 times larger (or mor). Now imagine the environment being alive. As you move through the woods you hear birds and bugs in your surrounds. You hear the wind blowing and look to see the trees swaying. You go around to one side of a cliff and the wind is blocked off of you. Ultra real and ultra cool. Dang, now I have to copy and past this to its own topic.
Old 11-15-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by joeblow69

"Well, we can't get all the gameplay modes done in time for launch, so let's can the capture the flag stuff for now and release it as a patch later..."
I don't think so. PC software is patched all the time. I think it is a good idea to be able to add new features as you go. This way the game gets to the streets sooner.
Old 11-15-02, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by RVP
I am hoping more reality based shooters come out, I will try Ghost but I don't realy like the stealth and planning games. I hope something more along the lines of Counterstrike comes out.
Actually isn't Counterstrike coming to Xbox with a new graphics engine?
Old 11-15-02, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Kainan
Well, I picked up Mech Assault and Ghost Recon and I've played both quite a bit. My impression of MechAssault pretty much goes along with what gross said. You end up going in endless circles. Nothing but straff and fire. I guess I imagined the jet power playing a bigger role but to me it is virtually useless. Yeah you float up in the air a ways but they are still blasting away at you while you are doing it AND it makes it more difficult for you to fire. After saying this I must say that I'm going to give the game a few more days to see if I find some strategy.

Is your gamertag Kainan? Mine is Furio. I remember you kicking my a** last night. You had a smaller mech and I couldn't keep up with you. I'm going to give the game a couple more days but it sounds like I might get Ghost Recon.
Old 11-15-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joeblow69

I woudn't normally be so disturbed by this concept, because I am used to it on the PC. However, I think it's a different subject on the XBOX, because I can't back up my downloadable content on a CD-ROM like I can with a PC.

So unless it's just a code I can store on a memory card that unlocks something already on the disc, I'm a little weary of developers using this method to fall back on.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth...

Jeremy
Old 11-15-02, 05:08 PM

In defense of Mech Assault, many of the mechs you can choose from are modified enough from each other that there's much more technique and strategy available than it may at first appear. Having to manage your mech's temperature guage as you're firing weapons is strategy in and of itself. Using the environment to your advantage while your mech cools down, or my fave - boosting up and over an opponent mech and hovering out of firing range while your weapons build up (Bowman is great for this, its got a large jump jet reservoir) - are just a few of the techniques available. Factor in each mech's weapon choice, its size (zipping around with one of the puny Elementals can be a riot), its special weapon (cloaking, Chaffes, radar jamming), its shield capabilities....and well, there's more to the game than meets the eye. Try playing a single-player deathmatch with each of the different mechs....there's a bunch of them, and they're all suited for particular play styles.

Also, some of the environments take the game to the next level. In particular, there's a frozen tundra level with a dense snowstorm impairing your vision, and all around are patches of ice which, when taking enough damage, will crack and split open, dumping any unfortunate mechs into the damaging water. It's very cool.

Larry
www.AssortedRamblings.com
Old 11-16-02, 12:56 AM
Suspended

The good thing is, at least for MechAssault, a lot of new stuff is promised, everything from new mechs, new maps, and new game types like capture the flag, etc. I also know that they're working on fixing the lobby issues with a patch, like the thing where people in a game cant go back and play each other again.

I got MechAssault and UC. Honestly, I love MechAssault, but I really don't care for UC. The gameplay is just too fast paced for me and it's very laggy, any game with 8 people in it just skips all the time for me, I don't see how there will ever be full games with 16 players... I think I'm gonna be taking it back and getting ghost recon instead, sounds like more of a game that I'd be into

For MechAssault, there's tons of options now but it might not seem like it at first, there can be a lot of strategy involved instead of just nuking everything. And, if you like playing heavy mechs, if you play through the single player game (took me like 6 hours total on easy setting) you'll be rewarded with the Ragnarok and Ymir mechs, they're huge and nasty and could take out an Atlas with ease, since they're slow enough that they can't get away from your lava cannon For me, MechAssault is definately a keeper, one of the funnest game I ever blew $50 on

Last edited by necros; 11-16-02 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-16-02, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I bought UC, and I am also thinking of returning it as well. Seems laggy when there are more than 4 people, and if I'm going to play a 2 on 2 game, it's going to be Halo with my friends.

Also the gameplay wasn't that fun and the maps I played seemed kind of bland and claustrophobic. I just don't know if I should pick up Ghost Recon, or another game for XBLive.
Old 11-16-02, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
This is more a problem with MS's strategy for XBOX Live! than anything else.

Most XBox owners also are PC gamers. If they're going to make people pay to play on their network they have to offer a unique experience. To shell out $50+$50 to play UC on a gamepad on the XBox isn't going to do it for me when I can do it for $39 w/mouse and keys the way I'm used to. Not making these games all mandatory 16:9 doesn't help the matter. I want something I can't get on the PC, and widescreen gaming online would have been part of that.

I really hope MS does something that will make me want to purchase an XBOX live membership. NBA 2k3 is tempting, but there needs to be more. Too bad about Tony Hawk4, I think I would have sprung for that...