Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

S-video vs. Y, Cb/Pb, Cr/Pr - which is best for DVD hook-up?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-02, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just bought a Sony 27" WEGA KV-27FS100 to replace my old 32" Trinitron (may she rest in peace ) Then I realized that this is my first component that accepts the Y, Cb/Pb, Cr/Pr inputs. My question is how do those inputs compare to the S-video input in terms of quality, performance, etc?? Are there pros or cons to either one?? Thanks for your help.

gamjohn2

Last edited by gamjohn2; 11-15-02 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-15-02, 12:59 AM

Don't know how much difference there is between component and S-Video, but I know that component connection is better in color, sharpness, clarity, etc.
Old 11-15-02, 01:04 AM

Component video (Y, Cb/Pb, etc.) is a step above S-video. The improvement in picture quality is not quite the jump that you get going from composite video to S-video connections, but it is an improvement nonetheless. Screen size, quality of display and source hardware, and resolution of the media being used will all play a factor in how apparent the improvement in picture quality will be. With better hardware and software (or broadcast signal) you will be more likely to notice the difference. Also, upgrading connections on a bigger screen would probably make the difference easier to see, but that is a nice set you have, and I would defintely use the component connection with it. In fact, I have had a similar model (KV27FS13) for a year or so. Enjoy your WEGA!
Old 11-15-02, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Component > S-Video > Composite
Old 11-16-02, 02:08 PM

Arguably, the difference is clear. A friend of mine has a 32" pure flat panasonic while I am currently using a 36" Toshiba 36-A Series. Although my toshiba isn't a flat screen, he uses an S-video connection from sony dvsp560 to his set while I use component connectors form my dvsp360. The difference is noticeable, from my friend's opinion as well. We both watched Gladiator on both sets and the image on my screen was noticeably clearer, sharper and without as much digital haze from the darker colors that tend to produce the "washed out" effect on dvd images. Although the cables are considerably more expensive, there are some nice deals out there online since prices have come down quite a bit since I purchased my monster cables about 2 years ago.

Component vid-connection should make the picture very nice on your set...much better than S-vid.
Old 11-16-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SLOmade
Arguably, the difference is clear. A friend of mine has a 32" pure flat panasonic while I am currently using a 36" Toshiba 36-A Series. Although my toshiba isn't a flat screen, he uses an S-video connection from sony dvsp560 to his set while I use component connectors form my dvsp360. The difference is noticeable, from my friend's opinion as well. We both watched Gladiator on both sets and the image on my screen was noticeably clearer, sharper and without as much digital haze from the darker colors that tend to produce the "washed out" effect on dvd images. Although the cables are considerably more expensive, there are some nice deals out there online since prices have come down quite a bit since I purchased my monster cables about 2 years ago.

Component vid-connection should make the picture very nice on your set...much better than S-vid.
The difference is easily noticeable as the above post mentions.....

It does not make sense to use an S-Video connection if you have component inputs on your set. The S-Video input is easily the inferior of the two connections and for obvious reasons. Besides the fact that I am using a progressive scan player/HDTV set.....even without the progressive scan ability.....the component connection is much better. My Monster Component cables were $40.00...did not feel like I needed $100.00 cables. If the $100.00 cables produce an even better image......it probably is not enough difference to justify spending $100+ on cables. You may notice a difference with your set hooked up to a meter.
Old 11-18-02, 06:20 AM
Banned

Component all the way.
Old 11-19-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, component is the way to go.
Old 11-19-02, 11:52 PM

What is the best kind of component cable to get? They are really expensive and you can get some good deals on ebay? I am not looking for the 80$ ones, just nice low budget ones!
Old 11-20-02, 07:40 AM

Go to radio shack....

They have nice component cables (A/V cables with 3 connectors.....should be 20 bucks max.
Old 11-21-02, 03:58 PM

I just bought some 6-foot Acoustic Research Component Cables for $30 at best buy. That's a good price for that length.

An A.R. is respectable quality. Just as good as Monster. In my techie friend's opinion.
Old 11-21-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to burst your bubble here but...

I don't think you are going to be able to notice much of a difference between component and s-video on a 27" TV. It certainly isn't going to be "much better."

I specifically bought a 27" with component in to try and eek out a crisper picture. After many dvd viewings, I can honestly say that I couldn't notice an improvement with component, so I switched back to s-video so my receiver could do all of my switching.

I can see how it would make a difference on a larger set though.
Old 11-24-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had a Toshiba 55-inch, and the colors all changed when using the component inputs, and I went back to S-Video. I didn't switch to component inputs until I got a Pioneer widescreen the next year (which didn't have that problem).

On a 27-inch TV, you won't see that much of a difference. S-Video is actually pretty good.

RD