Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Has this ever happened to you?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought Wumpscut's 'Bunker Gate Seven'. I open the case, and sitting in the tray is a CD called 'The Negro Speaks of Rivers and Other Art Songs by African-American composers'. I thought, damn. Since I had the CD anyway, I figured I might as well find out if there was any effect African-Americanism had on a composer. But, as I begin playing it, I realize it is really an Opera disc. So, I got a opera CD, labeled as a African-American composer compilation, inside a Wumpscut CD case. That's just nutty.
Old 11-14-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Has this ever happened to you?

Originally posted by evitagen
got a opera CD, labeled as a African-American composer compilation, inside a Wumpscut CD case.
I can honestly say that it has never happened to me.
Old 11-14-02, 02:50 AM

Re: Has this ever happened to you?

Yes, yes it has...

..well no. Not really, but I bought the Boards of Canada album Geogaddi and when I played it, the CD I got had only one 40 min long track of music -- The actual album should have 23 tracks and be over 70 mins long. I exchanged it for another copy, which looked identical, including the printing on the CD, and it had the correct music on it. I've still got no idea what was on the 1st CD, but it wasn't the close to the right music.
Old 11-14-02, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In 1980 when I was a kid I got a Yes album that was actually Led Zep instead. All the art was Yes, even the label on the record. I don't think this kind of thing is that rare. I returned it because I already owned the Zep disc.
Old 11-14-02, 10:27 AM

Some of the first run of Built to Spill's Perfect from Now On was actually a Danny Elfman collection instead.
Old 11-14-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think this is that rare either.

I've got a DRI cd (4 of a kind) that has chapter stops fifteen seconds after the song already starts. To listen to the whole song, you've got to rewind fifteen seconds into the previous track. I've also got a New Order Substance CD that will play straight through, but has no valid chapter stops. You can advance the track number, and it seems to know how many tracks there are, but it won't play once you've selected the track.

My wife once bought a Celine Dion cd that didn't have anything recorded on it at all -- which was actually an improvement.
Old 11-14-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
When I ran an independent record store I had someone return a John Mellencamp CD because it wasn't John Mellencamp.

It was labeled as John Mellencamp, but it was really KISS' Crazy Nights CD. That was funny.
Old 11-14-02, 12:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by einTier

My wife once bought a Celine Dion cd that didn't have anything recorded on it at all -- which was actually an improvement.
Consider this a blessing in disguise.