Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Evil Zero is out people....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resident Evil 0

I'm surprised nobody in here is talking about it.

Quick Review: Graphics are even better than the GC Remake of the first one. Especially the cut scenes - HUGELY improved. Load times are far, far worse however. Entering some rooms just takes forever, and I don't know why.

The gameplay is basically the same as the remake. I haven't yet had to control both characters in the same room, however. Each character can only carry 6 items which is still a huge pain in the ass. There are no item boxes. You just leave stuff on the ground wherever you want and you can always go back to pick it up. You get used to having to use B+down on the control stick to turn around instead of using the yellow stick to.

Plot - haven't played enough to really say, but it seems really WEIRD so far. So far, its somewhat un-RE-ish.

Also, Zombies don't turn into Crimson Heads (I'm pretty sure).

Thats all I can think of for now. I am pissed cause I got pretty far in the game, past 2 bosses, but I never saved it, and then I ran out of ammo shooting this stupid zombie that came out of this stupid fridge. He killed me, so now I have to do teh entire game over again since I never saved it. Sigh.

-J

Last edited by Ted The Bug; 11-13-02 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-13-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Can you verify whether or not they took out control option C?
Old 11-13-02, 10:37 PM

There are still 3 different control styles but none of them alow you to use R as your walk/run button.

-J
Old 11-14-02, 12:07 AM

Oh, okay, so the game is unplayable now. Just making sure. Pass.
Old 11-14-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Mattalos
Oh, okay, so the game is unplayable now. Just making sure. Pass.
Akward control, but you just have to love this game . I have to wait for pay day to pick this bad boy up.
Old 11-14-02, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand how people have such issues with the controls......
Old 11-14-02, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by KingSmoth
Not sure, but regardless of "control issues" I love the series.
Old 11-14-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by KingSmoth
Perhaps it's that they're horribly outdated and clunky? I'm also sick of the ridiculous and illogical puzzles, and all that's left is a decent interactive horror movie. I'll wait and see what RE4 is like, thank you very much.
Old 11-14-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Perhaps it's that they're horribly outdated and clunky? I'm also sick of the ridiculous and illogical puzzles, and all that's left is a decent interactive horror movie. I'll wait and see what RE4 is like, thank you very much.
Great news, the last thing we need is a bandwagon RE fan
Old 11-14-02, 01:34 AM

I tend to consider myself a RE fan, pretending nothing after RE 1 and 2 existed. I'm waiting for the series to evolve as it should have by now.
Old 11-14-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tend to consider myself a RE fan, pretending nothing after RE 1 and 2 existed. I'm waiting for the series to evolve as it should have by now.
Keep on waiting, the only thing that may change in RE 4 is the control may mirror Devil May Cry, but if your looking for the puzzles, and item tracking to stop your going to be very dissappointed.
Old 11-14-02, 01:47 AM

Did they improve the ability to kill the zombies without using all your ammo? Resident Evil GC REMAKE was basically "Dodge the Zombies".
Old 11-14-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tigger
Did they improve the ability to kill the zombies without using all your ammo? Resident Evil GC REMAKE was basically "Dodge the Zombies".
You got that feeling too eh? I like how it takes nearly an entire clip to finish off a zombie.
Old 11-14-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

That's why ONIMUSHA was soo cool. You can't use up your Samurai Sword

AAAAAAAnd getting in there "Man vs. Demon" and killing with a sharp weapon is so much more PERSONAL than shooting from a distance

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-14-02 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-14-02, 07:44 AM

Who has it? EBGAMES keeps pushing back the release date every day. It's now scheduled to ship on 11/14. EB is usually the first to have it
Old 11-14-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played it for a few hours last night, and I'm about to start up again.
This game is beautiful - the graphics are only slightly better than REbirth, but the addition of moving objects in the backgrounds adds a lot of realism to the scenery. The handcuffs swinging on Billy's wrist is very cool. The FMV's usually look great, but some areas are grainy from compression. It is nice not being stuck in a giant building, and the game adds to the tension by being crammed on a train instead, with zombies popping out at the worst moments(obviously). I found the end of the train scenario to be one of the biggest heart-racing moments in the RE series. The game continues to present a silent, eerie tone throughout, as if you're all alone, but there is something there. At one camera change on the train, I about jumped through the roof, it was great. I have no issues with the control - I'm actually better at the control in this than I was in REbirth. I can decently control both characters at the same time(main with control stick, other with C stick), and swapping characters is very simple and a great addition. The ability to drop items(which should have been around from the beginning, or at least RE 2) is great, though I really think Rebecca should have 8 slots since she has a side pack. Large weapons like the hunting gun once again take up 2 slots, but so far I haven't had any issues with constantly swapping items. So far there haven't really been any puzzles on the train.
My only concern so far is how the Leech Man is going to fit in - he seems so Final Fantasy, not Resident Evil.
So far, I say this is a must-have for RE fans, as the game has only gotten better as I've progressed. Plus, on another forum, someone said something in a post without using spoiler tags - ruined the surprise, but sounds awesome. I have never considered the control to be enough of a problem to ignore one of the games, though it will be nice in RE 4 if they use something similar to Devil May Cry(which is what it appeared like to me in the RE 4 trailer).
Old 11-14-02, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the crap controls in RE. If they made tthe controls too easy and made the players more "athletic" then it would be no fun. You wouldn'thave that feeling in the back of your mind knowing that you can't quickly escape a zombie when they bust out at you. If they accomidated every control idea a fan came up with then the whole RE feal would be gone because we'd just tripple jump over the zombies and turbo boost down the hall. The game is all about feeling trapped. With the limitation on controls, it helps you maintain that feeling.
I'm glad the games aren't allowing players to do flips and dives for saftey. Also some people just don't get that with set camera angles, you can't make the navigating controls much better than that. Since directions change for each view.

Last edited by mmconhea; 11-14-02 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-14-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pork-chop123
Who has it? EBGAMES keeps pushing back the release date every day. It's now scheduled to ship on 11/14. EB is usually the first to have it
didn't pick it up yet, but really wanted to ... happened to stop into FuncoLand and grab the free preview GC DVD & they had RE0 ready for sale...
Old 11-14-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't wait to pick this game up, but i'll probably have to wait and get it as a christmas gift.
Old 11-14-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I've been playing RE since RE1 on the PS1.

RE0 is pretty great so far - except for the controls.

To me, this feels a lot more cluncky and awkward than the very first one on the PS1. It seems that I cannot walk a straight line, no matter how hard I try (good thing you won't have to pass a sobriety check during the game) - I get the same result with both the control stick or the pad.

But the worst thing about the game is the turning. Couldn't they use one of the spare buttons for a 180 degree turn? How hard would that have been?

It's even more rediculous since previous REs had it - but I guess since it's RE0 and has a storyline that predates the series, it has to have a control setup that predates the series, as well.
Old 11-14-02, 06:06 PM

All of you complaining about the controls sound like a bunch of crabby old ladies. Just enjoy the game!! Plus, if you really don't like the controller, spend five bucks and buy an adapter like I did and use your PS2 or XBOX controller. I don't mean to be negative about this but this same conversation comes up when every new RE game is released.
Old 11-14-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's the point. If you want to Rambo through the Undead, play Devil May Cry.
Old 11-14-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

slop101,
hold down B and press down to do a 180 degree turn.
Old 11-14-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You missed out on Code Veronica? Probably my favorite of the series.

This game looks very good. The control is something you just have to deal with in a RE game so I think I can handle it. Hopefully, I can pick this up before Christmas but there are just so many DVDs and games to get right now.
Old 11-14-02, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
That's the point. If you want to Rambo through the Undead, play Devil May Cry.
Well playing RE 1 & 2, Code Veronica and Nemisis never required me to unload my entire clip to kill one Zombie as others in the room attack me. Don't know why they changed it here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.