Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Receiver going into protection?!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I just got attack of the clones and the sound is awesome except when it gets to a louder scene my reciever goes into protection. The reason this doesnt make sense to me is because I dont even have the volume that high. In fact i can put in phantom menace and almost double the volume. And i have a pretty good reciver. The only way to get it loud is to compress the signal in the reciver which makes it sound like crap. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 11-12-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Try setting your speaker size to medium or small. The receiver should send the bass to the LFE channel and should reduce the power needed in the regular speakers.
Old 11-12-02, 11:21 PM

hey thanks a lot, i just watched the asteroid scene in all it's glory and it worked great, this site is great too.
Old 11-13-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like your speakers were set to 'large' before, which makes your receiver bypass the bass management features (depending on your model/configuration of course- but I'm speaking in a general sense) and forces the amp section of the receiver (which are generally underpowered) to try and push 5 channels of info at once. Depending on the scene, the amount of bass which requires more power to push at higher volumes can cause the amp to be pushed too hard and will shut itself down to keep you from overloading it.

Welcome to the forum.