Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

British TV Thoughts and Questions (Merged with anybody seen the bbc show Coupling?)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

British TV Thoughts and Questions (Merged with anybody seen the bbc show Coupling?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
British TV Thoughts and Questions

1.I saw this show "Coupling" on the BBC America and PBS over the weekend and this is one funny show. I think it has been around a few years and the writing is much more crisper than Friends. Roughly similar setup though more risque than Friends. I laughed continously for half an hour. I am not usually the british humor type.

2. I have been checking out the DVD bestsellers at Bensons world and Amazon.uk and near the top of the bestsellers is a show called The Office. It seems like a british take on "Office Space" with a documentary type feel. Would anyone who has seen it recommend it as a good blind buy?
Old 11-12-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like British comedy shows. American tv has been ripping off these shows for years. I can think of a few just off the top of my head:

All in the Family ---> Till Death Do Us Part
Men Behaving Badly ----> British Men Behaving Badly
Sanford and Son ----->Steptoe and Son
Payne -----> Fawlty Towers
Three's Company ----> Man About The House
Three's A Crowd -----> Robin's Nest
Old 11-12-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,146 Posts
Originally posted by joefrog91
I like British comedy shows. American tv has been ripping off these shows for years. I can think of a few just off the top of my head:

All in the Family ---> Till Death Do Us Part
Men Behaving Badly ----> British Men Behaving Badly
Sanford and Son ----->Steptoe and Son
Payne -----> Fawlty Towers
Three's Company ----> Man About The House
Three's A Crowd -----> Robin's Nest

All countries rip off shows. It's nothing new or unique to America. We have shows "ripped off" too.
Old 12-29-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anybody seen the bbc show Coupling? and reccomend me some brit imports on dvd

thedigitalbits.com says its friends with more sex, and the people at amazon really like this show, i was wondering your thoughts on this show. (the only show that i have seen that is from britain is whos line is it anyway)
Old 12-29-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen this, but this is the show that NBC has picked it up to Americanize and take the place of Friends when they call it quits. Melissa George (from Thieves) and Breckton Meyer (from Inside Schwartz) are two of the people that have signed on to star, according to the last thing that I heard about it.
Old 12-29-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They also have Emily Rutherfurd from the latest Ellen vehicle (and Van Wilder.

If NBC keeps its hands off, the show could work ... however, knowing them, this could be a recipe for disaster.

As for the show itself, I know there used to be a discussion thread around here, but our friendly "search" (term used loosely) isn't being very helpful in that regard.

das
Old 12-30-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
I've seen the show. I think it's just o.k. And I've watched it a few times. Just never really got into it. And I'm addicted to the shows on BBC (America). Maybe I'll give it another chance. I just didn't find it all that clever or funny.
Old 12-30-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never heard of the show.

Reccomendation: Bottom! Gotta love a show called Bottom. It stars Rik Mayall and Ade Edmundson. Get the Very Best Of... 1st to see if you like it.
Old 12-30-02, 10:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

I recommend Coupling but it may be that you need to see the series/characters develop rather than watch the odd show. Personally I found it clever and funny <small>
Originally posted by das Monkey
As for the show itself, I know there used to be a discussion thread around here, but our friendly "search" (term used loosely) isn't being very helpful in that regard.
</small>Two similar/earlier threads were:

• best british show?
  • BBC America
  • Old 12-30-02, 01:50 PM

"Absolutely Fabulous" a.k.a "Ab-Fab"

Amazon Editor quote:
    The smashing misadventures of fashion femme fatales Edina and Patsy remains one of the most popular and talked about comedies in BBC history. The New York Post called it "Utterly original, utterly hilariousone of the best television comedies ever made."
    Series 1:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Series 2:

Series 3:

Series 4:

All 4 Series:

p.s. I believe they refer to each season as a series? Having 4 series sounds kinda odd.
    Old 12-30-02, 04:16 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Coupling is one of the funniest shows on tv - I love it. The third season (brits call it "series") starts soon, and I can hardly wait. I agree that you should watch it from the beginning and it will be a lot funnier - there are inside jokes and other moments built on previous experiences with those characters that make it even better.

Too bad you missed the marathon that was on Christmas eve - they showed the first two seasons (series) back to back in order. Knowing the bbc, they will get around to showing them in order again, but in the meanwhile, the first season comes out on dvd on 1/7 I believe, with season two coming out about a month after that. So if you start taping season three in a couple of weeks to watch it after you watch the first two sets of dvds, you can watch them all in order within a couple of months.
    Old 12-30-02, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
    The third season (brits call it "series")
    Thanks for the confirmation. But, if the Brits refer to a "season" as a "series", then what do they call the entire run of the show? Obviously we (U.S.) call it a series, but they can't use the same word to mean both?
    Old 12-30-02, 05:22 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Although it helps to watch it from the beginning, Coupling IS a very funny show. I have always said it's like Friends, only funny. It's a lot raunchier and there are far more sexual innuendos in Coupling than you will ever get in Friends. One of my favorite lines is from Jeff Murdoch (he of the scruffy bad hair):

"I didn't use my tongue, I swear! It's only for stamps and emergencies!"

As for other recommedations, it all depends on your taste. Here's a current list of my favorites:

Father Ted
    Red Dwarf
    Keeping Up Appearances
    So! Graham Norton
    Black Adder

If you want to do some serious searching for a truly twisted take on Catholicism, try Dave Allen At Large. It's an older show which is basically just this dude sitting on state smoking like a chimney and drinking whiskey while telling bad jokes and showing the odd filmed skit. I used to love watching this show, but I haven't seen it in years.
    Old 12-30-02, 05:27 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

i dont have bbc (parents dont want to get digital cable), but heard on digital bits that warner will release the show on dvd in late january and was curious to it since i am into friends now.
    Old 12-31-02, 08:49 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    Originally posted by DarthMarklar
    "Absolutely Fabulous" a.k.a "Ab-Fab"
    All 4 Series:
    p.s. I believe they refer to each season as a series? Having 4 series sounds kinda odd.
    That link is only for seasons 1-3. Season 4 is only sold separately. And they DO refer to a season as a "series".

Also funny are the French & Saunders DVDs that came out early last year.

I'd highly recommend you RENT all of these (including Coupling) using Netflix or the like as their replay value depends entirely on one's tastes. They're all kind of expensive to buy and then not watch more than once. My AbFab sets are CONSTANTLY rewatched (in fact, tonight I will definitely be putting on Series 3, Episode 2 - Happy New Year).
    Old 12-31-02, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
    That link is only for seasons 1-3. Season 4 is only sold separately. And they DO refer to a season as a "series".
    Then what's the 4th Disc include? I assumed (since it contained 4 discs) that meant all 4 series, but then, if you say it's only Series 1-3 the 4th disc must be extras?
    Old 12-31-02, 01:21 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    Originally posted by DarthMarklar
    Then what's the 4th Disc include? I assumed (since it contained 4 discs) that meant all 4 series, but then, if you say it's only Series 1-3 the 4th disc must be extras?
    Yes. When these discs were produced there were no plans for a Series 4. See Amazon.com's notes further in:

Additional Features
    Each of the first three discs in the four-disc set features a season of the show, complete with outtakes and a photo gallery (which proves slightly frustrating, as you are unable to skip around the photos--they are shown only in order). The fourth disc has the majority of the extra features: How to Be Absolutely Fabulous, a delightful behind-the-scenes look at the show; Ab Fab Moments, a retrospective of the entire series; Modern Mother and Daughter, the brilliant original skit from French and...
    Series 4 is two discs and includes all 6 episode in letterbox format (actually in their original presentation PAL ratio) and includes additional extras.

There is a duplication of some things like the original French & Saunders skit "Modern Mother and Daughter" that eventually became AbFab AND a pilot called Mirrorball which features all the same actresses in completely different roles as actresses on the West End. Saunders said she couldn't escape Edina's voice while scripting Mirrorball and decided to write another (perhaps final) season of AbFab almost 10 years after the completion of season 3.

This is rather confusing marketing-wise because people THINK they're getting ALL of AbFab with this box set and they're really missing a QUARTER of the episodes!
    Old 01-02-03, 03:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
    Coupling is a funny show- that is 'Smart" as most britcoms are.
    if they decide to make an american version of this- it will be awful just like the american version of Fawlty Towers, and the proposed american version of AbsolutelyFabulous- which was to be done by Roseanne Barr- Yech!

Among Britcoms to recommend that BBC America has aired or is airing are:

Absoulutely Fabulous-
    Are you being served?
    Father Ted
    One foot in the grave
    Black Books- Did not air on BBC America yet- Only Comedy Central
    Black Adder
    So Graham Norton
    Fawlty Towers
    Keeping up apperances

Last edited by brtcmfn; 01-02-03 at 04:30 PM.
    Old 01-02-03, 06:51 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

Coupling is great! Like mllefoo said, it's like Friends, but funny. Jeff is one of the greatest TV characters of all time.

renaldow, Bottom is my favorite TV show, ever! Be warned, though, it's very heavy slapstick, very Three Stooges-esque, so not for everyone (i.e. women ).

Another great Britcom you can't go wrong with (as long as you are generally hip and under 60) is Spaced. Two seasons so far on DVD.
    Old 01-02-03, 07:15 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

question, is this like raunchy humor or humor that only brits would understand.
    Old 01-02-03, 10:06 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

It is raunchy and a lot of innuendo...but extremely funny. I never cared for Friends but I love this show. If you want you can view some clips bbcamerica.com For those of you with BBC America they are rerunning some shows around the 12th of January.
    Old 01-02-03, 10:09 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

If you didn't buy it, The Office is premiering Jan 23 on BBC America...info here If you did let me know if it is any good and worth watching.
    Old 01-02-03, 10:11 PM
    BDB
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 104 Posts
    The office is a new british show out on dvd which is supposed to be very funny sitcom,

I myself enjoy a little coupling every now and then
    Old 01-02-03, 10:12 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Office reminds me a bit more of Spinal Tap or the Rutles meets Office Space. The humor is nothing like Office Space, so don't even expect that. Is it a good blind buy? If you enjoy mockumentaries, then yes, it's a good blind buy.
    Old 01-02-03, 11:08 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

The office is also premiering on BBC America on Jan 23rd. I am definitely going to check this one out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.