Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review: LoTR Extended Version

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-02, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got it home a couple hours ago, so not to many comments yet. I'm about 1 hour and 20 minutes (out of 208 minutes) into the movie now, and I'm loving it more than ever. The extended scenes add a lot to the movie!

I'll be watching all the special features soon...
Old 11-09-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me get this straight... you paused the movie long enough to come here and write a review? (not much of one at that)

Must not be much of a fan to be able to stop right in the middle like that. :P
Old 11-09-02, 12:23 PM

Actually, I didn't pause the movie at all! I was watching it as I wrote!

I'm playing on my computer...its no home theatre, but its all I've got...
Old 11-09-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I am glad there are no spoilers contained, I thought there would be a little more info in said thread
oh well now I won't open a thread about this till I have seen it.
Old 11-09-02, 11:33 PM
Alf

I've had my copy for a couple of days now. I had ordered the Collector's DVD Gift Set with the Argonath bookends online and received an email on Wednesday that it had been shipped. I was certainly surprised to get it on Thursday.

I have read many reviews of the special extended edition online and they were absolutlely right. The technical quality of this dvd is superb and the added scenes enhance the story and help to flesh out the characters more. There are 4 feature length commentaries and a wealth of extras, none of which were on the August release.

I have watched the movie once, the commentary with the principle actors, and the first extra disc. I am absolutely amazed at the dedication Peter Jackson had to bringing the story of Lord of the Rings to film and his determination to be true to the spirit of the book. Christopher Lee was right when he said that it was good that the opening title was "The Lord of the Rings" and not "Peter Jackson's production of The Lord of the Rings". I think that shows Jackson's humility in giving us one of the best films ever made. What will the man ever do for an encore?
Old 11-10-02, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by Apocrypha
While I am glad there are no spoilers contained, I thought there would be a little more info in said thread
oh well now I won't open a thread about this till I have seen it.
Well, I was in the middle of the movie at the time...I'm watching the special features now...

One of my favorite extended scenes is Fairwell to Lorien. That really should have been in the theatre version! Now you get to see all the "gift giving" part.
Old 11-10-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by im2smrt4u
Well, I was in the middle of the movie at the time...I'm watching the special features now...

One of my favorite extended scenes is Fairwell to Lorien. That really should have been in the theatre version! Now you get to see all the "gift giving" part.
so why did you bother to post a review, if there is "NO REVIEW" contained in your post. I understand you're excited, but come on. If you call that a review... ahh forget it.

[puts mod hat on] closing non review containing review [/puts mod hat on]
Old 11-11-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by purplechoe
so why did you bother to post a review, if there is "NO REVIEW" contained in your post. I understand you're excited, but come on. If you call that a review... ahh forget it.

[puts mod hat on] closing non review containing review [/puts mod hat on]
More of a "Hey look, I got the Extended Edition before the release date!" thread.

If it were really a review, it probably would've gone in one of these threads:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=lotr

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=lotr
Old 11-11-02, 11:32 AM

Give me a break...I'm just some guy who got to watch it on his computer, not a professional movie critic!
Old 11-11-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by im2smrt4u
Give me a break...I'm just some guy who got to watch it on his computer, not a professional movie critic!
So it`s been 2 days,

WHERE IS YOUR REVIEW........!!!!!

get this guy out-O-here......
Old 11-11-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot wait to until I get my DVD so I can post my review!
Old 11-11-02, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by tommy28
So it`s been 2 days,

WHERE IS YOUR REVIEW........!!!!!

get this guy out-O-here......

/me runs and hides

Actually, I'm loving all the special features. There isn't anything I think is missing. I would have liked the 5 disk version, but I didn't want to pay that much. The packaging is beautiful and very well made. Plus, there are a few easter eggs! (mentioned in another thread)
Old 11-11-02, 06:00 PM
Alf

SPOILER, but I don't tell everything

I would have thought that the article at the top of this page under Featured Articles entitled "Lord of the Rings Extended DVD Review" would qualify as a good review so nobody should be left in the dark. I have read many extensive reviews online, many at http://www.theonering.net/index.stat

The movie itself is the same. There is an additional scene at the beginning showing how Isuldur loses the Ring.
The opening coming into the Shire is changed. It begins with Bilbo in Bag End starting to write his book and narrating what he is writing about concerning Hobbits. The sequence with Gandalf and Frodo in the cart has more of a voice-over by Bilbo than the two of them talking. We get to see more of the Shire and there is a great scene of Merry and Pippin singing in the pub and then of Frodo and Sam leaving, with a great line about Rosie.

The added scenes dealing with the Shire probably adds up to the greatest share of the 30 minutes. There are added scenes in Rivendale and Lorien and Boromir has more of a negative edge put on him.

I had a friend who watched the extended edition and said it was a better movie.
It is more rounded out and the characters are more fleshed-out. To top it off, this is the best extra material I have ever seen with a dvd. I have only watched one of the commentaries (with the actors) and it was enlightening and funny. The dvd that has the making of the movie material is very interesting and informative.

Bottom line, spend the $25 bucks on this dvd set and you won't be disappointed.
Another $25 gets you the National Geographic Special (you can see the car) as well as the cool Argonath bookends.
That is the one I bought and I have also bought the extended edition as a gift for a friend (I bought it on Amazon and they don't ship it until Tuesday the 12th).
Old 11-12-02, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm impressed!

Having seen all four discs of the Extended Version, I have to say this:

I APPROVE!

It is by far the most outstanding DVD set I've ever seen. The picture quality is outstanding, the sound quality is outstanding (at least it's not overly loud like the two-disc release), the commentary tracks give lots of great insight into the movie, and the two supplementary discs are so full of fabulous material that it would take days just to go through them and appreciate it.

This DVD set is in my humble opinion the best advertising for buying a DVD player.
Old 11-12-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought the regular extended version today (not the one with the bookends). Although I can't wait to see it after hearing all the raves about the quality, I am still very pleased with what I've experienced so far.

Considering that there is free movie a voucher valued at $10.50 included, this DVD set is a great deal. I'm very impressed. Even the proofs of purchase tabs are on a separate cardboard, while the security sticker isn’t attached to anything that would damage the box. As long as the print is as good as everyone has mentioned, it just doesn’t get any better than this.

Old 11-13-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basically an already tremendous film is TWICE AS GOOD.
I really can't see watching the Theatrical Cut too often now.....
Old 11-13-02, 11:21 AM

Re: SPOILER, but I don't tell everything

Originally posted by Alf
There is an additional scene at the beginning showing how Isuldur loses the Ring.
I've only watched the introduction so far, that depicts the way the ring has travelled over the years. But where is the scene from the intro where the human debates throwing the ring into the volcano but then decides against it? It was removed from the intro and they just cut to him trotting down the path on the horse with the ring around his neck?! I know that scene is shown twice in the theatrical release (in the beginning and middle). So did Jackson remove it from the intro thinking it's overkill to show it twice? Are they cutting out parts of the film while adding scenes as well?
Old 11-13-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: SPOILER, but I don't tell everything

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
I've only watched the introduction so far, that depicts the way the ring has travelled over the years. But where is the scene from the intro where the human debates throwing the ring into the volcano but then decides against it? It was removed from the intro and they just cut to him trotting down the path on the horse with the ring around his neck?! I know that scene is shown twice in the theatrical release (in the beginning and middle). So did Jackson remove it from the intro thinking it's overkill to show it twice? Are they cutting out parts of the film while adding scenes as well?
That scene always occurred later, during Elrond's reminiscences to Gandalf in Rivendell. It never occurred at the beginning. And it's still in there.
Old 11-13-02, 11:34 AM

Oh, I always thought it was in there twice. Its a cool scene, glad to hear its still in there.
Old 11-14-02, 01:39 PM

Need your opinion

I have the original 2 disc set, and enjoyed the film. However, I've never been one to watch a lot of the extras on any discs I've owned. I do have dts, and would like that soundtrack, but am wondering, do you think its really worth it for me to spend the money for the new set?
Old 11-14-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This set is a must-have. I've barely scraped the surface of the extras, and they're done so well (they're actually interesting and entertaining to watch). Of course a complex production like LOTR generates tons of interesting behind-the-scenes material, but I really get the feeling that they picked only the very best stuff in the best presentation they could.

And that's not even mentioning the movie which is better than ever.
Old 11-14-02, 03:06 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally psted by nightliner:
do you think its really worth it for me to spend the money for the new set?

Depends...do you want the whole, glorious, exclusive motion picture, or just the regular version the Joe Blows have all been treated to...?
Old 11-14-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The EV of the LotR is sooo much better. It really does fill in details throughout the movie.

The MTV takeoff is a riot!!! This was the 1st thing I watched.

Even though I got the 1st version free with the KIA test drive, the EV is the better deal even though I had to pay $27 for it (and I did get the free ticket).

Now to find a safe place for the free ticket so I will not forget where I put it. I guess I will just keep it in the box until Dec.
Old 11-15-02, 03:35 AM

Is the free ticket a real ticket, ie no pass restrictions for the first 2 months or something?

BTW I was in walmart today, waste of time as they weren't PMing TRU on AOTC, and they actually had a lady standing guard over AOTC and LOTR making sure everybody paid in that dept. Gotta figure a ton of these are going to get opened in the store and the tickets stolen.
Old 11-15-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikeford
Is the free ticket a real ticket, ie no pass restrictions for the first 2 months or something?

BTW I was in walmart today, waste of time as they weren't PMing TRU on AOTC, and they actually had a lady standing guard over AOTC and LOTR making sure everybody paid in that dept. Gotta figure a ton of these are going to get opened in the store and the tickets stolen.
The ticket is only valid for a week or two, I am not sure if you can use it the 1st week or not. I will check to see when you can 1st use the ticket, I hope you can use it opening night. If the ticket cannot be used the 1st week, no big deal because I will be see it twice anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.