Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any opinions on Virtua Fighter 4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-02, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any opinions on Virtua Fighter 4?

Since this is $20 now, I am thinking about getting it. I liked VF, and VF2 back on the Saturn, but have'nt played it since. How is VF4?
Old 11-09-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is excellent. The only problem some people have with it is the jagginess around the fighters. They are really easy to see on component video. It is an excellent fighting game, probably the best one to come out so far this year (and this came out earlier in the year).

Virtua Fighter 4 is the thinking person's fighting game.
Old 11-09-02, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Virtua Figher 4 is the reason why I bought my Playstation 2.

I have been a fan of the series since the first one, and VF4 is the best of the series, by far. It does have a steep learning curve, it is a very complex game.

The best thing about the game is the Kumite mode, which is basically a simulation of the Japanese arcade game, where you give a fighter a name, and rise in rank by defeating opponents. You unlock items this way, and this is an addicting aspect of the game. I have played about 1200 fights in kumite mode, it is that addicting.

Last edited by KnightLerxst; 11-09-02 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-09-02, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Way better than Tekken.
Old 11-09-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by V-ism
Way better than Tekken.
And that's your opinion...
Old 11-09-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Lampei
Even I, someone who loves Tekken, will say that Virtua Fighter 4 is far better than Tekken 4 and the others that have come before it.

Although it is really like comparing apples to oranges. VF4 has a far higher learning curve than the Tekken series.
Old 11-09-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Lampei
Mine as well. Tekken 4 couldn't compare to VF4. I would definitely recommend getting VF4. You might have to work a little harder to get the controls and moves down, but its a great game and worth the effort.
Old 11-09-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would definitely agree that graphics-wise VF4 blows Tekken 4 away (fluidity, smoothness of characters), but I still enjoy the way Tekken plays much more than VF4. Hell, I have both games I just find that button mashers get away with much more in VF4 than they do in Tekken 4. I even used to be able to beat the game with just about 3 moves in the VF games. There are a few characters this is doable with in Tekken (Paul, Heihachi), but I find the characters with finess moves (Nina, Xiaoyu, and even king) make it more of a challenge. I guess I'm more of an old school Tekken fan than VF.
Old 11-09-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a fan of VF1 and 2(which are the first games I got for my Saturn recently), so I just picked up VF4 at Best Buy since it is $20, so I'll find out sometime this weekend when I get a break from writing my wonderful paper for my mass media class on video games and violence. Bah......
Old 11-09-02, 01:06 PM
Banned

Best Fighting Game on the PS2, IMO.
Old 11-09-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Virtua Fighter 4 is one of trhe first gmaes I rented when I bought my PS2, and I was not a long time fan of the VF series. I had to admit the game is amazing. I used to like Tekken, but after 3 I started to get annoyed with the series. Tekken 4 is an improvement over 3. But compared to VF 4, Tekken 4 is the weaker game. They put the Tekken Force mode back in the game and theres no point to it.
Old 11-10-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think VF4 is the reason I found Dead or Alive 3 so shallow.

This is from a single player perspective....

Kumite mode adds SO much to the single player fighting game genre. It's very addictive and truly provides a reason to play a fighting game in single player mode.

DOA3 in single player provided about 20 minutes of great graphics, but no reason to play it beyond that.

Obviously fighting games are meant to be 2 player games, but VF4's Kumite mode adds a refreshing element that makes single player appealing too.
Old 11-10-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only wish it was a DVD-Rom instead of a CD-ROM. CD's make a funny noise in my PS2. The game is still great though. really deep.