Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HTiB Volume Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTiB Volume Question

I've been looking at getting the Kenwood 205 HTiB that everyone is running for $299. While checking it and other HTiB systems I notice that the volume output isn't all that high when running the DVD compared to the actual tuner (radio). I crank the volume all the way up, and it's loud, but not incredibly loud like I was expecting (until I switched it over to the tuner and almost blew the speakers out).

I also noticed the same thing on my TV when I watch DVDs, i have to crank the volume up higher than I do when I just watch plain cable.

Why is there such a difference in volume levels? And while we're on the subject, does anyone know why the numerics on the Kenwood go in descending order for increased volume?

I'm a newbie to HTiBs, so please be kind to this idiot.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-02, 07:26 PM

bump
Old 11-13-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is true with all audio setups. I believe it has to do with the larger dynamic range of DVD's. Basically DVD's are encoded correctly and everything else is too loud.
Old 11-13-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey, i have noticed that on my sony htib. also playing a cd in the dvd player can be very loud as well. i dont know the reason for it though.
Old 11-14-02, 09:45 PM

Thanks guys.

Does anyone out there have the Kenwood 205 that can speak about their experience once they have the system hooked up and the speakers properly placed. Don't know if that'll make a difference, but the only way I can hear the one at the store is with all the speakers next to each other on the shelf.

I'd really appreciate hearing from a first hand user.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Star Wars Guy
Thanks guys.

Does anyone out there have the Kenwood 205 that can speak about their experience once they have the system hooked up and the speakers properly placed. Don't know if that'll make a difference, but the only way I can hear the one at the store is with all the speakers next to each other on the shelf.

I'd really appreciate hearing from a first hand user.

Thanks!
i had this system for 3 days. it was pretty good, but i was having problems with it so i ended up taking it back and getting the onkyo hts 650. the only dvd's i watched with the kenwood were star wars episode II and the matrix, both of which produced good sound for the money. the onkyo is a much cleaner sound but it is $200 more. in the end i think the onkyo is worth the extra cash. but for $299, the kenwood delivers 600 watts which is nice. i also listened to the SONY DAVC450 ($380) and thought the kenwood was much better. one drawback on the kenwood is the lack of the powered sub. all in all for the cost i think the kenwood is the best system you can get.
Old 11-22-02, 12:10 AM

What problems did you encounter with it, nchhabra?
Old 11-22-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Star Wars Guy
What problems did you encounter with it, nchhabra?
the system would shut off in the middle of a movie. this seemed to occur when there was a scene that got louder or had a lot of sound effects in it. the guy at cc told me it may be that i wasnt able to draw enough current out of the outlet, but i plugged it in other places without resolution. i also had this same problem while listening to the radio. i dont know why it happened there.