Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox: Which wireless controller?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-07-02, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought an Xbox console about two weeks ago. I am in the market for a wireless controller. From what I found on the internet there are two controllers comming out.

The Mad Catz XBOX Lynx Wireless Controller which will retail about 60 dollars. From what I can tell the Lynx controller is 900 mhz with a 40 foot range. From some pictures I've seen it looks like it has a rechargeable base unit. The Lynx controller will be out 11/12/02.

Next, Logitech has a 2.4 ghz controller comming out. The baby will retail for around 70 dollars. From the EB Games link, it says this unit will have a 20 foot range. From what I can tell, it does not have a rechargeable base unit. This controller will be out around 12/7/02.

So, which one would you chose? Will there be a big difference in the 900 mhz and the 2.4 ghz? If the info above is incorrect feel free to address it. I want to get all the info I can before I spend that much money on a controller. Thanks..
Old 11-07-02, 11:17 AM
Cool New Member

If you plan on getting XBox Live i would suggest neither as the headset is supposed to plug into the mem card slot and with the wireless controllers the slot is at the base where the receiver plugs into the console...

Otherwise i would think the Logitech would be of better quality (Build & otherwise) than the Mad Catz one but this is just an uninformed opinion so take it as such.
Old 11-07-02, 11:24 AM
RVP

I was watching TechTV last night and Fresh Gear did a piece on the wireless controlers. They liked the logitech one for PS2 better. I would think the one coming for Xbox would be the same?

Here is the reviews.
Wireless controllers review
Old 11-07-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Uh... I would get none. Of course, this is just my experience with the Madcatz PS2 wireless controller.

Although it is a pretty nifty controller, and the 900MGz signal will travel through walls and stuff (unlike the old line of sight infrared technology), there are still some problems.

1) It won't work if you're using a 900 MHz phone nearby.
2) It won't work on all games (mine doesn't work at all with Simpson's Road Rage, for some reason)
3) There is a slight lag. This is very important for sensitive games like FPSs, racing, or sports games. A great example is when kicking a fieldgoal in a football game, using that meter... you have to adjust to the lag.
4) If you dream of having multiple wireless controllers, you're going to need to manually change every controller reciever until they all have different channels.
5) The controller itself is just buggy. For some reason, my left analog stick won't go diagonal up/left. I've been using it to play Suikoden III, and it's really annoying.
6) At least on mine, there's the battery life. At least the Madcatz has a recharger, but eventually the battery will wear out. Also, because of battery memory, you'll want to discharge the controller completely every so often. Which means that you won't always have it available to play. Also, if you play for hours and hours on end, it may die on you.

Of course, this is just my experience with one controller. I did get it for half off as they were clearancing them out at Target, but I'd be even more hard pressed to find a reason to buy them at 60 bucks or more. Unless they've drastically improved their quality with the newest releases, I would stick with wires. Of course, I do hear that the Wavebird is excellent...
Old 11-07-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course, I do hear that the Wavebird is excellent...
This is definitely a true statement...
Old 11-07-02, 09:46 PM

I saw the review on Tech tv also and they seemed very impressed with the Logitech and said there was little or no lag and that was at a range of exactly 34 feet.
Old 11-07-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RenoGQ
If you plan on getting XBox Live i would suggest neither as the headset is supposed to plug into the mem card slot and with the wireless controllers the slot is at the base where the receiver plugs into the console...
That's a big Ten-4, unless you get a bluetooth heaset
But that's another $200...
Old 11-07-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Don't forget 2.4 Ghz, is the frequency of most microwaves.

$70 for a controller! :0

Yes, second that on the Wavebird. I just want some more colors so I can go completely wireless! Any news on that? Anyone heard anything on a wireless 3rd party with rumble? I saw it at BestBuy, but can't remember the brand.
Old 11-08-02, 12:22 PM

Has anyone heard if Microsoft will come out with their own wireless controller? I just might sit on my hands til I hear what microsoft comes out with.

Also, the wavebird retails around 30-35 dollars but without a rumble pack. If microsoft came out with their controller without a rumble pack, I wouldnt mind plus I think it would be around the price of the wavebird, at least I would hope so.
Old 11-08-02, 02:01 PM
Retired

Lack of rumble is a good thing in a wireless controller as the rumble feature would really eat the batteries.
Old 11-09-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I don't mind eating batteries. I use rechargable.
Old 11-09-02, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Lack of rumble is a good thing in a wireless controller as the rumble feature would really eat the batteries.
and not to mention the added weight
Old 11-10-02, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Don't forget 2.4 Ghz, is the frequency of most microwaves.
I usually hold a controller in my lap, I'll sue the hell outa them if that damn thing cooks my cods!
Old 11-10-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why can't more companies make a Wavebird?

$30 at most stores, and the greatest controller ever.