Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between a surrond system on a 2 channel and 5.1 channel Player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What is the difference between a surrond system on a 2 channel and 5.1 channel Player

Old 11-07-02, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

What is the difference in sound If i plug a 5 speaker and 1 subwoofer Surround System into a 5.1 DVD player and 2 channel DVD Player?

What would i notice?
With the 2 channel what would i lose compared to the 5.1?

Thanx
Old 11-07-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The other 4 channels? Not sure what you are asking for but this is a night and day comparison.
Old 11-07-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What DVD player doesn't support 5.1?
Old 11-07-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by skar
What DVD player doesn't support 5.1?
Some Bose HTIB's don't.
Old 11-07-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What is the difference between a surrond system on a 2 channel and 5.1 channel Pl

Originally posted by hachiman
Hi

What is the difference in sound If i plug a 5 speaker and 1 subwoofer Surround System into a 5.1 DVD player and 2 channel DVD Player?

What would i notice?

Thanx
I'm not sure you're asking the question right, it makes more sense if you're asking about plugging the DVD player into a 5.1 receiver or 2 channel receiver.

On a 5.1 system, whether it's DTS or DD, there's an audio track that goes specifically to each speaker and the sub. It provides a more 'exact' sound and allows the sound engineer to be able to create a more realistic environment.

On a stereo receiver, you get Left and Right, and a sub. Basically all the sounds that are split to individual speakers in 5.1 end up either going through 1 or both of the speakers, and the sub just pickes up whatever the lowest frequencies are. Depending on the movie this can sound worse than a mono track.

There's also Dolby Pro Logic which is a 5 speaker and 1 sub surround mode that only uses 2 channels. DPL relies on the receiver pulling off sounds from the 2 tracks and distributing them to the speaker that seems appropriate, with the sub just picking up the low tones. (that's a fairly oversimplified explanation, if you want to get technical on how it works there are nice articles about it on Dolby's website.) It's not bad, but not as precises as a digital 5.1 presentation.