Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitar players....help

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Guitar players....help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-02, 06:07 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guitar players....help

My 13 yo nephew wants an electric guitar for Christmas. He's never played before but I want to get him a decent starter but I know zero about guitars. Any suggestions as to what brand or what to look for?Thanks.
Old 11-05-02, 06:45 PM

A Fender Squire or an inexpensive Stratocaster would be a good start.
Old 11-05-02, 06:54 PM
Banned

Price range?
Old 11-05-02, 06:59 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by joshd2012
Price range?
between$200-300.

Costco has a Yamaha 112 w/amp bag & book for $189 , is this a good choice?
Old 11-05-02, 07:24 PM
Banned

Package I would recommend:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/82969

Page listing all such packages:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...&so=asc&c=4290
Old 11-05-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Second the Squier.
Old 11-05-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would the Squier be a good choice for a 25 year old guy looking to teach himself guitar?
Old 11-05-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure that you get something that you can sell pretty easily in case he doesn't stick with it. Alot of towns have special newspapers that people will sell stuff in. These usually have a pretty big musical instruments section. If you want to go for something new, you can get a new Dan Electro for under $200. It's not fancy but it's a good starter guitar. It's pretty light and the neck is very negotiable. Fender Squire's are pretty good. If you are willing to spend a few more dollars you can get a Mexican made Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster. Those will run you about $300-$350. Musicians Friend and AMS ( American Musician's Service) has starter packs that are very reasonable.

Old 11-05-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Captain Harlock
AMS ( American Musician's Service) has starter packs that are very reasonable.
Actually, AMS stands for American Musical Supply
Old 11-05-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eh, everybody chooses Squire because it is technically a Fender, and having the Fender name is some sort of status for people. My first guitar was a Yamaha Pacifica 112M (is this the one you're talking about?), and I'd recommend it for beginners. The neck feels much nicer than the Squires I've played (I also have smaller hands). The Pacificas also have a humbucker pickup, which is a nice touch for a guitar in that price range.

Stay away from beginner guitars made by Yamaha unless they are in the Pacifica product range though--the others (especially acoustics) are crap.
Old 11-05-02, 10:51 PM
Cool New Member

This is the package Costco has .

Costco--Yamaha
Old 11-05-02, 11:30 PM
Banned

I don't recommend Yamaha's as beginners guitars because they have no resell value and they are alittle harder for some people to play. Stick with the Fender and you'll be all right.
Old 11-06-02, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Musicians Friend has a little Epiphone Les Paul Jr. for $99........good price but don't know how well it would play.
Old 11-06-02, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It depends on how serious you are about playing guitar. The best bet is to start off learning on an acoustic and move to electric later on. You will have increased strength and endurance in your "guitar muscles" and your playing will be much more precise and clean. Of course depending on the type of music you wish to play the acoustic may be less satisfying at first or you may flat out not give a crap. An acoustic guitar is unforgiving in the sense that your mistakes and playing will not covered up by any effects so you hear yourself warts and all.

Truth is you can be amazing either way if you are willing to work at it. If you just want to noodle around and aren't terribly serious about it probably doesn't matter one way or another to you.

Squier's are built significantly better than Yamahas. You can get a Squier with a bucker if you want for not too much more money. At the low end of guitars $100 spent will get you a great deal more than $100 at the high end.

Do you know what kind of sound you want? That is the most important question. When you go buy your guitar make sure it feels and sounds right. A guitar will speak to you and it is your duty as an American to buy that guitar.

Been playing guitar for 7 years, bass for 1 and piano for 10 months myself.

Good luck in your shopping and welcome to the club.
Old 11-06-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just went through this myself..fender makes a nice starter kit in the 300 dollar range..comes with guitar , small amp, soft case, and tuner..very nice setup..got mine off of ebay but check around at some guitar store..most carry that same kit
Old 11-06-02, 12:57 PM

I did a lot of research a year or two ago on the best overall electric I could get for around $200. The best reviewed inexpensive electric, time and time again, was the Yamaha Pacifica. I picked one up and I've been very satisfied with it. It has a great neck that is very comfortable to play. I don't know about Costco's Yamaha egp112 model. I bought the Pacifica 112J. I'd imagne that all Pacifica's are well made. But I'd personally go for the 112J. You can see user reviews of the 112 by clicking the harmony central link below, and you can buy the 112J for $199 + free shipping by clicking the music123 link below. Good Luck.

Harmony Central User Reviews - PAC112

Music123.com