Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best of Bowie...Um, not quite.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a bitch directed at the 2 CD version. I finally got in the mail and popped it in and while looking over the tracks it hit me right away.

No John, I'm Only Dancing. That's a scandal. What were they thinking of? I've seen other posts about Greatest Hits and Best Ofs, but this song was both of those. And it was on his last Best of Bowie by Rhyno. What, suddenly it became less popular or less "best of" since then?

Now I think I'd feel the same with even the one CD, but with 2 discs they couldn't find space for it? There are 38 tracks and I like pretty much anything the man sings, but there are several songs just on the 1st disc that shouldn't have made the cut over John. Panic in Detroit for one. Fine song, but didn't deserve to make the cut over John, I'm only dancing. There were several others I can't remember now.

It's one of his best songs and now I'm left doing what I buy Best Ofs to avoid-that is making my own mix CD, but with the old recording from Rhyno it sure won't fit in with the new mastered stuff.

Man, that really is lame. Oh, and I could not find an advanced track listing before I bought it, which I still would have done. I just would have fumed about it back then.
Old 11-04-02, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't get riled up over hits discs because the completest will never be satisfied with how it's done. I love the song you are missing, but to be honest, "Panic In Detroit" is something I like much better than "John..."
Old 11-04-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I've passed on this one. I still think the 1993 "Singles" 2 CD set Rykodisc put out is the best Bowie hits set ever, even if it doesn't include his last few albums post-1993 on there. I've got every Bowie CD but I still listen to "Singles" all the time. What really excites me is the "Best Of Bowie" DVD coming out Nov. 19 that FINALLY collects all his videos and a ton of live performances on DVD! I'd much rather spend my pennies on that than another 'best of' CD set.
Old 11-04-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like "Panic in Detroit" much more than "John, I'm Only Dancing", but it's a moot point, 'cause there's so much missing from this "Best of...", the most puzzling examples being..."Oh You Pretty Things" and "Starman". And the version of "Young Americans" is a lame single-edit. Stick with the double disc "Singles" if you can find it.
Old 11-04-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Andalusia
I like "Panic in Detroit" much more than "John, I'm Only Dancing", but it's a moot point, 'cause there's so much missing from this "Best of...", the most puzzling examples being..."Oh You Pretty Things" and "Starman". And the version of "Young Americans" is a lame single-edit. Stick with the double disc "Singles" if you can find it.
I think Starman should make the cut too, but the point I tried to make with "John" is that it was the only song that was on that last 1 cd best of album that wasn't included. If Nirvana put out a 2 CD best of in 5 years (and let's hope that they don't, I want the box set) and left of In Bloom it would just make no sense.

Yes, that single version of Young Americans is disappointing, but if the song wasn't there at all it would be worse.