Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Angel 11.03.02

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel 11.03.02

Wow. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed tonight's show. I was a little leery of this episode. For one, while I do like Fred, I wasn't sure I wanted to see a "Fred" episode. Secondly, I was nervous about the Connor/Cordelia thing. It's kinda squicky to me. I'm glad she said something about holding him as a baby. Excellent point there, Cordy.

Anyway, the episode ended up being really good. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the season opener, but Angel just rocks. It's an amazing show full of characters that I love and root for.

Okay, what in particular did I enjoy? My favorite line was Angel's "Come on! I'm holding your *head*." Also, I love that Lilah was totally jealous of Fred. And I love how every once in a great while, we are shown that Lilah is indeed human if an evil human . I'm so glad that Fred went to Wes for help and he wasn't cold and awful to her. Not that I am a W/F shipper. No, tonight's ep put me firmly in the Fred/Gunn camp. I couldn't believe what he did. It was so dramatic and fast and brutal and it was for Fred...so she wouldn't have to know what it felt like to kill a man. I actually teared up it was such a moment.

Oh, I almost forgot...another Angel/Lilah scene. Gosh, I love those. When he said there'd be a conversation about Lorne, it made me very happy. Their interactions are priceless.

~wis
Old 11-04-02, 12:14 AM
Banned

Though I liked it too, for some reason its obvious that they same people arent in control this year behind the scenes.
Connor isnt working for me and thats a big problem. I do like that Wesley is living on the edge but time to go back to Angel Investigations. The Amnesia thing with Cordie is really contrived to me and I know they can do better. The whole Fred and Gunn thing isnt impressing me either. Not much chemistry there. I am from the camp that think Fred would be a better match with Wes.
Time for Josh to get a bit more involved and get this back on track.

Did love when Gunn got the bad guy at the end though.

Next weeks could go either way but it looks like the Buffy episode they did last year on Buffy where they all lose their memories.
Old 11-04-02, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Angel 11.03.02

Originally posted by writteninstars
My favorite line was Angel's "Come on! I'm holding your *head*."
That was pretty much my favorite line in the show too. But unfortunately it was probably the only thing I liked. I was beginning to like Fred but today she was too overly annoying to me. There was too much physics talk which didn't seem to do much for the show. And the whole Cordy/Connor situation...

Well... at least next week's episode appears to have more of
Spoiler:
Wesley hanging around the original crew.

Last edited by khieng; 11-04-02 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-04-02, 12:45 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great episode - one sure to have repercussions on the Fred/Gunn relationship. And further development on Wesley/Lilah.

What I loved were all the comic references - "Hulk Smash" and of course the whole scene in the comic shop. Of course they really had a lot of Dark Horse stuff in there since they put out the Buffy/Angel comics.

Re: the plot, I was actually suspecting the T.A. the whole time because I was expecting a further twist, but once again the writers surprised me, with Gunn snapping the neck. I think it was in vain though because Fred knows he only did that because of her.

Spoiler:
Next week's episode really looks like a filler, but we'll see.
Old 11-04-02, 12:52 AM

About next week's ep:
Spoiler:
I'm looking forward to it as it was written and directed by Joss himself.
Not sure if that was really a spoiler, but I hate to ruin the fun for anyone so I figured best to not chance it.

I forgot to say that Angel really did sound 200+ years old when he said the line about the "chatty rooms". Didn't exactly mesh well considering that in "Waiting in the Wings", he told the count "You love her that much? Start a website." But still, it was a funny line .

~wis
Old 11-04-02, 01:15 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved the chatty rooms line. Seems like it could be a good sig file.

Both Angel and Alias were superb tonight. The quality sure seems to go up around sweeps.
Old 11-04-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know what they say about payback, "Well, I'm the bitch!" You go, Fred!
Old 11-04-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another great episode as always.

But I just can't help to wonder how electrical girl would have handled it
Old 11-04-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I thought it was a very good episode, flawed, but still very good.

I do have reservations about the bit with Gunn at the end. And they never really set up a motive for the professor - why did he do it? DID he do it, did he do it alone, or was someone else involved? What about his assistant? She seemed kind of catty. Is it just me, or did they not resolve all of these issues?

And Angel better answer that question from Cordy right. If the writers botch that one it will send the show in the wrong direction. Tell her the COMPLETE truth and let her sort it out. Great motivation for her to really try to get her memory back - and to end this cliche'd storyline.

Still, it was a very good show, and I'm hoping that they can maintain this level of quality.
Old 11-04-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was the Blonde TA that was opening up the portals (her being jealous of the other brighter students and all).
Old 11-04-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I thought Fred explained why he did it. It was out of pure jealousy. He tok out any student that he saw with the potential to outdo any of his accomplishments. Therefore, any promising student he simply eliminated. I assume he did it alone, or of course they can simply say he learned some things from Wolfram and Heart.
Old 11-04-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by B5Erik
And they never really set up a motive for the professor - why did he do it? DID he do it, did he do it alone, or was someone else involved?
How about HOW he did it? Up till now, it seemed pretty clear that Fred opened the portal herself, yanking a book off the shelf and reading from it.
Old 11-04-02, 05:50 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I'll bet that, sooner or later, it will be found out that it WAS the T.A. doing the portal-opening, and they killed the wrong guy.
Old 11-04-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't mind seeing the blonde TA again.
Old 11-04-02, 09:58 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought this was a good episode, loved it when Gunn snapped the Professor's neck then threw him into the hole

The directions of the characters is very interesting, getting blurred as to who is good and who is evil.

E.g. Connor at the beginning of the series was made out to be pretty bad with what he did to Angel, now he's looking after Cordy. Wesley has been on the border for a while now

I think Angel is shaping up well
Old 11-06-02, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally got around to watching this episode last night (I'm always a couple days behind in my tv viewings and never get to join in conversations on here

I thought this episode was awesome! There were a lot of witty lines and unexpected events. The best was Angel's "Come on now, I'm holding your HEAD", me and my wife were cracking up over that. The chatty rooms thing was great too. I, for one, like Fred and it was nice to see some other sides to her character. The ending was totally unexpected. I thought Gunn would save the professor - didn't see that one coming.

The previews for next weeks episode looked really good too - can't wait to see that one.
Old 11-06-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
I'll bet that, sooner or later, it will be found out that it WAS the T.A. doing the portal-opening, and they killed the wrong guy.
Glad someone else noticed it. I thought it was obvious. They made too big of a deal about showing and offhand mentioning of the TA, so when they started to think it was the professor, then Wesley went through the whole guilt song and dance, and no one was letting the prof explain, and then Gunn gets cold blooded and SNAP!... Well, it all pointed to a big "The prof didnt do it so now Fred and Gunn will have to deal with the guilt of killing an innocent" plotline... and it will ruin them (Fred and Gunn) for a bit, possibly even put Fred in Wesleys arms (since they both are showong off a dark side)?

I dont know, next weeks Angel preview doesnt excite me at all, Joss or not, becasue it looks exactly like
Spoiler:
Last seasons Buffy when everyone was affected by the amnesia spell.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 11-06-02 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-06-02, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by ctyner
How about HOW he did it? Up till now, it seemed pretty clear that Fred opened the portal herself, yanking a book off the shelf and reading from it.
Good to see you again, remember my fighting talk about angel season one should be widescreen for dvd last year:-)
Old 11-06-02, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Is everyone forgetting that he opened the portal to summon that demon to fight Angel? While not a direct admission of guilt it sure points to the right direction. Fred explained that he kept that blond TA around because she wasn't smart enough to threaten him in anyway (and he probably enjoyed the eye candy).
Old 11-10-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to bump this, but I just remembered something about this episode that really ticked me off.

In the scene where they were interrogating the guy in the comic shop, it was broad daylight outside... and the sun was reflecting everywhere, including all over Angel. I don't mind them taking some liberties, but if he's a vampire, at least keep him out of sunlight.

Hell, in one scene a few weeks ago (maybe last week?), he says something to the effect of "It's daylight. I need to grab a coat."
Old 11-11-02, 02:12 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
Sorry to bump this, but I just remembered something about this episode that really ticked me off.

While the sunlight is a definite story element, I don't think it matters in trivial scenes like this one. Just adjust your suspension of disbelief - I mean, this is a show about vampires!
Old 11-11-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrN
Just adjust your suspension of disbelief
Why? That’s not what “suspension of disbelief” is all about.