Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Sony receivers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-02, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep hearing they're crap. A friend of mine bought one and I told him they weren't the best brand of receiver. Then I realized I have nothing to back that up as to exactly why they are any worse than other brands. What don't people like about them?
Old 11-03-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had one for awhile (Which I replaced with an Onkyo). It had poor build quality, poor sound quality, and unecessarily frustrating tone controls.
Old 11-03-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You guys sure are mislead. The top of the line Sony recievers are great and are of great quality and sound. Sony recievers come in different price ranges like other brands and you get what you pay for. I have the middle line DB930 and would not trade it for anything else in its price range.
Old 11-03-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nothing wrong with them. They are no worse or better than other lower end receivers. The ES line is well repected by most.

I prefer Denon receivers myself.
Old 11-04-02, 12:35 AM

I just have this negative stigma around them. I always think...Sony TV and DVD good....receivers and speakers Badddd. I know the speakers are crap first hand, maybe I'm being too general on the receivers. I suppose at least Sony ES THX certified receivers can't be bad if they meet THX certification.
Old 11-04-02, 02:39 AM

The ES line is supposed to be pretty good. The lower lines tend to skimp on power. The STR-DB1070 for instance is rated at 100x6, however, with 5 channels driven, it puts out only 31 watts (8 ohms) and -65.2 dB noise (16-bit signal, A weighted). Power is, of course, not everything. However, it does point to some serious skimping.
Old 11-04-02, 11:28 AM
Cool New Member

I've had a Sony ES for two years now.. wouldn't trade it for anything. It works great and has all the features I like. I will buy another ES to replace this one day, but for now, I'm enjoying.
Old 11-04-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
You guys sure are mislead.
I doubt I was mislead since I was relating my personal experience. If you disagree with my opinion, that's your prerogative, but I have not been mislead.

The Sony receiver I owned was at the Sony Service Center more than it was in my house, and during the times it was actually working, the sound quality was disappointing. Not bad mind you, just disappointing (this was the STR-DE835).

Eventually Sony replaced the receiver completely because there was a chip inside that kept blowing. I was told that so many of Sony's receivers had this problem that the chip was on indefinite backorder.

Yes, the ES line is well-respected. But when it comes to the more common DE line, you can do much better for the price. If I remember correctly, the DB line has been discontinued, at least in the United States.
Old 11-04-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BernieStolar
I just have this negative stigma around them. I always think...Sony TV and DVD good....receivers and speakers Badddd. I know the speakers are crap first hand, maybe I'm being too general on the receivers. I suppose at least Sony ES THX certified receivers can't be bad if they meet THX certification.
Whomever your getting your Sony info from you better stop listening to them because they are extremely uninformed! First off your first post is so general it shows a total lack of knowledge, and your second post (quoted above) reinforces your lack of knowledge about Sony as the Sony ES are not THX certified yet are still as good as any receiver in it's price range and even higher!
Old 11-04-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I doubt I was mislead since I was relating my personal experience. If you disagree with my opinion, that's your prerogative, but I have not been mislead.

The Sony receiver I owned was at the Sony Service Center more than it was in my house, and during the times it was actually working, the sound quality was disappointing. Not bad mind you, just disappointing (this was the STR-DE835).

Eventually Sony replaced the receiver completely because there was a chip inside that kept blowing. I was told that so many of Sony's receivers had this problem that the chip was on indefinite backorder.

Yes, the ES line is well-respected. But when it comes to the more common DE line, you can do much better for the price. If I remember correctly, the DB line has been discontinued, at least in the United States.
I agree the DE line is substandard BUT so are Yamaha and other manufacturers who offer low end receivers. It's not exclusive to Sony!

The DB line is indeed discontinued to some extent. Basically they just label it under the ES line as their DA1ES & DA2ES receivers instead.
Old 11-04-02, 06:56 PM

Frank S,

I think it's a fact that sony receivers have a bad rap on the web. Look at some reviews www.audioreview.com and compare them to other brands. My only reason for posting this was to correct misinformation. Now, I realize some sony receivers are fine for the money. The point of asking a question is to reduce ignorance and a topic and now I have some of the facts and less importantly opinions.
Old 11-04-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BernieStolar
Frank S,

I think it's a fact that sony receivers have a bad rap on the web. Look at some reviews www.audioreview.com and compare them to other brands. My only reason for posting this was to correct misinformation. Now, I realize some sony receivers are fine for the money. The point of asking a question is to reduce ignorance and a topic and now I have some of the facts and less importantly opinions.
Agreed! This new info should help potential buyers in the future.
Old 11-05-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
Listen, play with the controls, listen some more, see if you can listen with the speakers you plan to use, then listen some more. If you like, buy. If you don't, don't.

I have a Sony receiver and am happy with it. It has some faults. But overall pleased.
Old 11-07-02, 09:29 AM

i'm a current sony db870 owner for the past 3 years and i'm happy with the price and performance

the db line hasn't been discontinued...this is really intended for the european and asian market.
Old 11-07-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a DE-845 and I don't have any complaints. It puts out enough power at 30% volume to piss off the neighbors. I didn't do any side by side sound quality testing but it sounds good enough for what I paid for it.

The build quality is ok to me. I got the flip out remote which was a good idea but very poorly implemented though.

DE series = low end, just like every other manufacturer's low end stuff

ES = high end, just like every other manufacturer's high end stuff.
Old 11-07-02, 12:04 PM
Cool New Member

I second that. I also have a DE-845 and it sounds just fine. I have heard better, but not by much. The flip remote was a good idea, but I had to replace it with Sony's universal touch screen remote (AVR2000 I think it is) because the latter just didn't control everything that I wanted it to control.

It all depends on how you feel about it. Kind of like buying a car based on looks.
Old 11-07-02, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

The only knock I can think of is that Sony has higher overheads due to its size and its marketing. This results in a lower material content at any given price.

Say a $500 reciever
dealer makes 50%
which leaves $250 for sony
Sony overhead~50%
which leaves $125 for materials

Another company with say 35% over head
has $168 material for the same retail of $500
Old 11-07-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
The top of the line Sony recievers are great and are of great quality and sound. Sony recievers come in different price ranges like other brands and you get what you pay for. I have the middle line DB930 and would not trade it for anything else in its price range.

I have the same receiver and I love it, too.
Old 11-07-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Sony DB830 was a wonderful receiver for the price when I bought it a few years ago. Excellent overall sound and build quality. I have since upgraded to a Pioneer Elite with Parasound amplifier, but the Sony is still going strong with no issues in my girlfriends home theater.

As a rule of thumb I would say go with Sony's DB (now folded into the ES line in the US) and ES lines for a very nice experience. The DE line does not have the build or sound quality of the DE or DB lines, but it is not better or no worse then entry level receivers from Onkyo, Yamaha, or Pioneer.

J
Old 11-08-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Master J
The DE line does not have the build or sound quality of the DE or DB lines, but it is not better or no worse then entry level receivers from Onkyo, Yamaha, or Pioneer.
Speaking as someone who has personally owned both a Sony DE-line receiver and a comparably-priced Onkyo, I can say this is absolutely not true.

I used to be one of those people who believed there wasn't a whole lot of difference in the sound quality of similarly-powered receivers, but the difference between the Sony and the Onkyo changed my mind very quickly. In fact, the Sony can't hold a candle to a 20-year-old $200 NAD integrated amp I own, so there are differences.

I'm generally a big supporter of Sony equipment, by the way. I have a Sony television, VCR and DVD player, all with no regrets. But when it comes to their receivers, I'll stay away from Sony from now on unless it's the ES line.
Old 11-08-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've owned a Sony DB-940 receiver for two years now. Supposedly the beast uses ES guts... regardless if this is true or not, for the $400 I spent on it, I'm quite happy with its performance... and its build quality seems superior to lower DB models but I'm not very familiar with anything Sony outside my 940 and the ES lines (which I def. couldn't afford at the time I purchased my receiver... but they are NICE.) I also like the Pioneer Elites and the higher end Denons.

To my ears, the Denon has a softer sound whereas the Yamaha is much harsher compared to the Sony. It's all personal preference and speaker choice (my Mirages are pretty warm speakers). The only way to truly know is to find a local dealer that carries both your speakers and your potential receiver candidates. Bring a DVD and a CD with which you're extremely familiar and just switch back and forth between the different receivers. They may sound similar at first but they'll soon reveal their personalities.