Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Can somebody explain to me how "The Mole" works?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused. I want to pick up this show when it's on next but only caught like 2 episodes last season and was loost. How's it work?
Old 11-02-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's very simple. You have a bunch of contestants and one mole among the contestants who is predetermined by the producers of the show before the game begin. None of contestants know who among them is the mole. In each show, they cooperate in games to win money for the pot. At end of each show, they get together and take a quiz about the identity of the mole. The contestant who scored the lowest number of correct answer is eliminated from the game. The game continue until the mole and one contestant is left. That last contestant is the winner and get the whole pot of money.

What makes this game more interesting is that the mole will be sabotaging the game to make them loose money while not get detected. Other contestants might also purposely loose a particular game to make themselves look like the mole. You get the idea.
Old 11-02-02, 04:28 PM
Banned

so..what's the point of being the mole if you don't win any money? why go through all that? i saw one where they had to run down this giant desert hill area place and survive the wilderness all to get to some castle...if you're the mole, why don't you just not do it (aside from contract crap)?
Old 11-02-02, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by LausdJayou
so..what's the point of being the mole if you don't win any money? why go through all that? i saw one where they had to run down this giant desert hill area place and survive the wilderness all to get to some castle...if you're the mole, why don't you just not do it (aside from contract crap)?
The mole is employeed by ABC so get a fixed salary just like other employees. Basically you take your chances if you are a contestant. If you are not the winner, you get no money. The mole gets to appear on every episode of the show and gets a fixed amount of money. Less risky.
Old 11-03-02, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

plus it would be fun as hell to be the mole
Old 11-03-02, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

by far and away the best reality show on television! I can't wait for it to return, I hope they get Anderson back, but I hear thats unlikely, now thats he's with CNN. I can't imagine the show without him, I'd really love to see the first 2 seasons of the Mole released on DVD.

By the way, has anyone seen the British version of the Mole? It ran for 2 Seasons in England and both games took place in the US, one in New Jeresy and I forget where the other one was. I'd love to see those.
Old 11-03-02, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by LausdJayou
i saw one where they had to run down this giant desert hill area place and survive the wilderness all to get to some castle...if you're the mole, why don't you just not do it (aside from contract crap)?
Sometimes the mole might want to 'help' the players along by winning some of the games. This will confuse the players so they end up failing the quiz at the end of each show. The point of being the mole is not to sabotage every game. Just the presence of the mole upset the cooperative strategy of the players. Because a lot of times, the players themselves will sabotage the game for you. What's interesting is to find how far the players themselves will sabotage the games. If they don't sabotage the game to make themselves suspicious to other players, then other players might not get eliminated from doing poorly on the quiz. On the other hand, if the player sabotage the games too much, then the pot of money at the end is small. So there is a strategy for players to sabotage as few key games as possible to make themselves look suspicious while keeping the pot of money as large as possible.