Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

reccommend Civilization 3 or Age of Mythology

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reccommend Civilization 3 or Age of Mythology

Okay, im done playing Warcraft 3 and I enjoyed it. Im over Morrowind and need something new. I was thinking RTS (real time strategy) again, and want to pick up one of thes two titles..

I have a feeling AOM is more like Warcraft 3, and Civ 3 is more complex. I remember playing Civ 1 years ago and liked it, but I have no idea about Civ 3 except the screenshots look impressive, as they do for AOM..can you reccommend one over the other? Thanks in advance
Old 10-31-02, 03:28 AM

Duck,

I am playing AOM right now and am enjoying it a lot. I was not impressed with Civ3, it was just more of the same 'ol Civ stuff...

Plus with AOM you can play online right out of the box but with Civ 3 you have to buy an expansion for online play.

AOM is a lot like War3, which is a good thing for me.

Any specific questions, just ask!

Later,

Jamie
Old 10-31-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Civ3 is a turn-based strategy whereas AOM is a real-time strategy. I prefer turn-based over real-time so I like Civ3 more than any other real-time strategy game. Civ3 is more strategic IMHO than any real-time strategy game can ever be. That said if you enjoy real-time strategy, as many of my friend do, you will very possibly not like Civ3.
Old 10-31-02, 10:50 AM

I haven't played AOM so I can't say much about that. I have played Civilization 3 and can tell you it's one of the best PC games ever (in that genre).

It's has a great mix of strategy, history and diplomacy. I highly recommend it. I love the scientific development aspect and building Wonders of the World.

Yes, it's more of the same Civ-thing, in that they've taken a great game (Civ 2) and improved upon it immmensly. If you factor in the expansion (Play the World) that comes out next week, then it just gets better. If you're looking for a game that will eat up hours and hours of time and become an addictive obsession, then Civ 3 is your game.

Last edited by finbogg; 10-31-02 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-31-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i pay little attention to computer games and civ is the only one i play. so, yes, i'm biased. but it sounds to me as if you are looking for something different than warcraft 3. it has also been said that AOM is a lot like Warcraft 3, so in that case, it isn't much different.

i will go against what a lot of people said in the thread that i started, i enjoy civ 3 immensely... BUT you must have a relatively recent computer with a fast processor (at least 500 MHz). the box says that it is for 300 MHz and up... my dad has a 300 MHz computer from '98 and civ 3 runs achingly slow. it takes about an minute to process a single character move... my computer, on the other hand, runs the game smoothly.

my one complaint is that as the game progresses, the waiting in between turns increases. the game has to figure out everything for every other civilization you are playing against, and that can take a LONG time. in games with fewer civilizations, it is not unheard of for the computer to take 3 to 5 minutes in between turns before telling me what my civilization built...

but that is a small complaint, because the game is so incredibly good outside of that.

so.. there ya go. that's m'thoughts on the subject.
-di doctor-
Old 10-31-02, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by DrRingDing
my one complaint is that as the game progresses, the waiting in between turns increases. the game has to figure out everything for every other civilization you are playing against, and that can take a LONG time. in games with fewer civilizations, it is not unheard of for the computer to take 3 to 5 minutes in between turns before telling me what my civilization built...
-di doctor-
Hit Ctrl-C during the computer turns to speed them along. You'll have to watch combat animations (I'm sure you can turn those off somewhere) but the movements are much faster. Cuts time between turns WAAAAAY down.
Old 10-31-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't played Age of Mythology yet (even though Babbage's says my copy is in... woohoo!... although I'm busy with GTA:VC right now), but AOE II and Empire Earth are probably two of my favorite games. I'm assuming Age of Mythology will be at least somewhat like the two others.

I just started playing Civ III last week, and I've already had some sleepless nights playing that wonderful, wonderful game. That said, it's not really easy to compare Civ 3 and any AOE game. They're two totally different experiences; Civ 3 has an enormous amount of depth to it, and I can tell I'm going to be coming back to it. But it's also a lot more cerebral. AOE games have just enough of a twitch factor in them that they're probably more exciting.

I'd play Civ III now, and wait. I don't know of any bugs for Age of Mythology yet, but they're sure to be discovered, and then a patch will be inevitable. Once you get tired of Civ III, you can take up the then patched AOM. Just my opinion, though.