Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Splinter Cell Xbox demo @ Toys R US

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Splinter Cell Xbox demo @ Toys R US

Just a note I've been running around all over town looking for the December issue of the OXM for the Splinter Cell demo. After running out of places to check came home, and someone on HTF mentioned they picked up the demo at Toys'R'Us. So I called and Wooh! they had some they are intended to be giveaways when you purchase an Xbox, game, or accessory. The clerk I talked to said he had so many that he was also giving them to anyone who asked, needless to say I was there quick. It also includes a $5.00 off coupon on the back for Splinter Cell purchase. YMMV

Old 10-30-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how is the demo? I have really been interested in this game.
Old 10-31-02, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

would there by chance be any kind soul that would be willing to be a blessing to this American away from home? Stuck over here in the middle east where we do have a local TRU but one that does not sell xbox anything..

/me would be more than willing to pay the shipping/gas/little extra for the trouble.... sad, puppy dog eyes looking out into cyberspace looking for someone to throw him a bone...
Old 10-31-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't get much of a chance last night to play. I fiddled around with the controls for a while, and got shot a couple times. Looks like it will be more stealth based than even MGS. I will post more when I get a chance to play some more.
Old 10-31-02, 12:51 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Edison
Looks like it will be more stealth based than even MGS.
Damn, that's discouraging for me. When games are too stealth based, they tend to basically be trial and error gameplay, where you just have to do things over and over until you find the best way to "sneak" through the level. That's a major gaming pet peeve of mine.

I guess I'll be sure to rent it before buying it when it comes to the other systems next year.
Old 10-31-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Damn, that's discouraging for me. When games are too stealth based, they tend to basically be trial and error gameplay, where you just have to do things over and over until you find the best way to "sneak" through the level. That's a major gaming pet peeve of mine.

I guess I'll be sure to rent it before buying it when it comes to the other systems next year.
Actually, with Splinter Cell you are supposedly going to be able to go about the missions however you see fit. You can be stealthy or you can go in guns blazing and have a more difficult time.

And I wouldn't be so sure on it coming to other systems...that's all I'll say (and I could be wrong).
Old 10-31-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. I really enjoyed Hitman 2, but jeebus, I must have tried each mission 20 times because there's just way too much stealth involved...still fun running around as a ninja chopping people with the sword though.
Old 10-31-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by AgtFox
Actually, with Splinter Cell you are supposedly going to be able to go about the missions however you see fit. You can be stealthy or you can go in guns blazing and have a more difficult time.

And I wouldn't be so sure on it coming to other systems...that's all I'll say (and I could be wrong).
I thought it was already confirmed for other systems?
Old 10-31-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's pretty much every game out there except for sports games.
Old 10-31-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I played this at E3 and it's got plenty of action. This game will surely blow everything else away - contender for Game of the Year... might be a sure thing if not for Vice City.
Old 10-31-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
You can blow people away or go at it stealthly. It is your choice.
Old 10-31-02, 01:30 PM

i got my hands on a full playable copy of the game , this game rocks....the lighting looks amazing (albeit some jaggies) and the controls are better than Metal Gear Solid

im on the first level and so far, hes got a fiber optic cable he can slip under a door and scope the scene out without opening the door, a lockpick which u must manually pick a door with, u can sneak up on sumone and get info out of them or even make em do things like put their eye to the eye scannin machine then knock em out. with the night vision effect it almost looks like youre watching a movie...very cool .. this game is a must buy....hope this helps..

Last edited by Young Vito; 10-31-02 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-31-02, 01:30 PM
Retired

Originally posted by teplitsa
That's pretty much every game out there except for sports games.
Not really. A lot of games are more linear and you know what you're supposed to do and how you're supposed to do it, but you have to do it over a few times because it's just hard.

That doesn't bother me. I just don't like doing things over and over trying to figure out how you're supposed to do it. It's a big gripe I have with GTA3 for instance. I just don't like real non-linear games where you have to do stuff over and over to figure out how to get through it and/or figure out what to do/where to go next.

I'm just more of a fan of the old school, go from point A to point B without dying gameplay.

But at least the other comments in this thread give me some hope for this game, as long as it comes to the PS2 or GC anyway.
Old 10-31-02, 01:33 PM
dgc

I played the OXM demo disc last night and the game looks incredible and deserves the over used phrase "Oh-My-God" for describing new games. From what I could tell from just the demo, the developers really pushed the xbox hardware close to it's limits. Everything from the graphics, audio, gameplay,3rd person camera view and intuitiveness/controls seems near perfect. The night & heat vision, shadows, lighting and object movements are the most real that I've seen. (i.e: the way the plastic divider strips you see in meat storage facilities, bend, curl and drop as you walk through them is so well done, I kept walking back and forth through it just ot see it over and over again.)

To give you an idea of how the Official Xbox Magazine feels about this game, OXM gave it their highest review score ever, a 9.6. This is a higher score than Halo!!!
Old 10-31-02, 01:40 PM
dgc

Originally posted by Trigger
I played this at E3 and it's got plenty of action. This game will surely blow everything else away - contender for Game of the Year... might be a sure thing if not for Vice City.
I agree, this game has a good chance of being GOTY.
Old 10-31-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How long is it and what can you unlock?

And there aren't any lectures on bomb disposal, are there?

Last edited by Aghama; 10-31-02 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-03-02, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just played the demo I picked up at Toys R Us, and I can't wait for this game to come out. I succeeded on my first atempt, but not as cleanly as I would have liked. I didn't find myself going through over and over because of trial and error, but because I wanted to experiment and try different things. The demo played differently each time depending upon how I approached each situation. It seems like it's going to have a high replay value even though it's very linear (at least the demo is linear). Even though it's linear there is a lot of freedom in how you execute your mission. I just hope I don't get used to the controls because I like the camera inverted, and in the demo you can't configure your controls.

By the way, the clerk at the first Toys R Us I went to had no idea what I was talking about. At the next Toys R Us that I went to the clerk gave me a copy (they were just sitting on a shelf), and then I asked for another for one of my friends. He said sure then gave me a few more. Now all of my friends have a copy (at least the ones who own Xboxes).
Old 11-03-02, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh man! come on karnblack let a shuki be your friend too....
Old 11-03-02, 10:47 AM

i think it's coming out on xbox first then pc at the end of this month. no ps2 or gc.
Old 11-03-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll try to see if I can get more copies. Is anyone interested?
Old 11-03-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll gladly pay your gas and shipping if you could/would be soooo kind as to pick one up for me....
Old 11-03-02, 12:56 PM
Registered

I went to a Portland Toys R Us yesterday with no luck. They had no idea if or when they'd get the demo disc.
Old 11-03-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dgc
From what I could tell from just the demo, the developers really pushed the xbox hardware close to it's limits.
Just me talking here, but I was wondering how you know the limits of the Xbox? Or any system for that matter? Didn't someone once say the limits of SNES were reached, and then Donkey Kong Country changed that? And the SuperFx chip.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I was just curious.

PS: I asked about this demo at EB today when I was picking up halo and the dude said he had one, but the store didn't. He said it is freaking amazing.
Old 11-03-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My TRU was out of them . I need the new OXM.
Old 11-03-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by dgc
From what I could tell from just the demo, the developers really pushed the xbox hardware close to it's limits.
Interestingly on the OXM disc for Nov (received in early Oct -- is that the right numbering) there's an interview with one of the SC producers. He actually states that they didn't really push the hardware that much comparatively speaking and they could've done even more. Something along those lines.

Tuan Jim

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.