Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Thing & Hunter Xbox opinons?

The Thing
and
Hunter: The Reckoning

anyone have input on these games for the X-box?
Old 10-30-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hunter: The Reckoning is OK, particularly if you want to play with other people. It is very repetitive though, and seems rather pointless after awhile. I landed up returning it to the store after a few days. For that type of game, Baldur's Gate just came out on XBOX and is a better game overall by far.

The Thing is a great single player game, but short (I cheated a lot).
Old 10-30-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Hunter is a lot of fun, but it can get repetitive after a little while. I'd say rent it, and beat it. If you feel like playing it a few months later, then you might think about picking it up used, but I wouldn't pay full price for it.

Tuan Jim
Old 10-30-02, 06:46 PM

Jason,

Here is part of my comments on Hunter from way back.

Let me just say I spent quite a bit of time on this game. I fail to enjoy this for a number of reasons.

1. Control - The controller configs given are numerous, however only one or two options are changed. With the Fire button always staying locked to the Right Anaqlog stick, and 400+ enemies to kill per level, I became quite tired and often frustrated. Aside from melee weapons, it is just as annoying when using ranged based weapons.

2. Storyline - A storyline that rivals Episode 1 for worst ever. I won't spoil anything, but really look close and question the dialogue and situation. Part of the storyline leads me to the next question.

3. Since when do Zombies and Monsters spawn in? The whole premice of the situation is that the Hunters are "imbued". Meaning they see the Zombies and Monsters among the living. If this is true, A) why do they spawn in and B) where is the rest of the town. You would think if Rockstar and DMA could do it with GTA3 (with tons more AI going on in general) that Hunter on the more powerful X-Box could do even more. Guess their engine is pretty poor. Don't get me wrong, in some instances there are 30+ enemies onscreen, which although impressive, is lacking in the reality department.

4. Interactivity. Where is it? There are only a handful of items that can be utilized to help the Hunter's efforts. A couple of vehicles to blow up, some oil drums and a couple windows to smash. In a Hack 'N' Slash type game, I would expect to be able to use everything within a town, church and so on, at my disposal. Take games of old like Final Fight and Captain America & The Avengers. Where these games were simply side scrolling Hack 'N' Slash games, levels incorporated items that could be used on the enemies. Where are the items here? The levels, especially the town, is lacking so few elements to interact with. No benches or mailboxes can be picked up. Only the few cars that will explode can be jumped atop on, and windows breaking?.. why? There is no reason for this except just to do it. No powerups behind them and no hidden level through this means. Barely is seen, other than fire and a couple abandoned vehicles, that a riot was in progress. Not even dead bodies??

5. Camera - Just try playing this game with 4 players. Although a co-op type game, you will find a bounding sphere around the characters, which is quite small and limiting the players. Just try picking up that weapon which is just out of reach while 30-40 enemies are on screen. Try to move while one of your teammates has died. You'll find that you will be handcuffed by the camera angles offered and limitations. There should have been better programming for this.

6. Real Time Movies. Well although they are real time, which is a pleasure, the model qualities for most of the humans are subpar and more like a medium res Dreamcast game. If you think i'm wrong, maybe you should check out the "Rave" (More like kids from the 70's meet Jar Jar Binks).

7. Worst End Boss ever. No joke. When you break it down and see it for what it is. Well... you be the judge, but not one I spoke with liked it.

I for one enjoy Hack 'N' Slash games, but found this game to be a huge let down with alot of hype. Whats it have going for it? Well details for the Zombie models are pretty good. The surroundings are decent and lighting is ho-hum. The screen shots shown before release were of course on a PC monitor and very close up. You never get that close in the game. I for one wish I had my time back.

BTW, I forgot to mention. One and two player modes - If you rescue One Bystandard, you get One Life. In three and four player modes, It's Two Bystandards for One Life. Believe me guys, you think the game is hard with one player, try with 3 or 4. Totally balanced wrong.
Old 10-30-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The Thing kicks ass... I have it for the PC. Great game.

Hunter is good, but nothing spectacular. It's better than Gauntlet Legends. I had fun playing this with my roommate. With 4 people, it's awesome. True enough though, once you beat it, there's little to keep you playing it. Rental.
Old 10-30-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well.......

I tried both games. They are Ok.

Hunter: I like the graphics. The graphics are very nice but I was yawning after a while and this aren't good news.

The Thing: I also like the graphics and I was into the game in the begining but after 3 levels I got bored.

They are rental material. I woudn't recommend buying them. If you like this type of games than just wait a little longer and buy them for $25 or less.
Old 10-30-02, 09:47 PM

Hunter is a good party game and worth renting, but not sure about buying.
Old 10-30-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hunter is worth nothing more than a rental. Horrible camera, bad controls, extremely repetitive. Basically, overhyped piece of crap that was boring in multiplayer. It could have been so much better.
I only played The Thing on PS2 when I rented it when it first came out. I thought it was pretty good, though I did encounter a few clipping problems and such. My medic got stuck on a wall, so I had to restart so I wouldn't lose him. The other problem was when the Things first attacked - one of them magically jumped straight through a closed door to get me. The door didn't open until AFTER it came flying through. Aside from those two problems, it was good. I will pick it up when the price drops to $29.99 or so, as I'm very selective about what games I will pay more than that for.
Old 10-30-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hunter is currently $29.95 at Best Buy......
Old 10-30-02, 10:21 PM

Location: ____St. Louis___ a.k.a. 'Roid Rage in fantasy sports
I agree with the Hunter comments. It would have been great if it would have been more like Smash TV/Robotron where you can HOLD THE FIRE BUTTON OR RIGHT ANALOG STICK DOWN to fire and had more power ups available. As it is, it takes like 5 or 6 shots per enemy with hundreds per level which you had to hit the trigger each time to shoot. My finger would be totally numb within 10 minutes.
Old 10-30-02, 10:28 PM
Suspended

I haven't tried the Thing yet, but I bought hunter, and got about halfway through the game both solo and with friends.. and I haven't touched it since. I'll prolly be trading it in somewhere soon
Old 10-31-02, 11:05 AM

I'd agree that Hunter is a rental. I finished it with a 3-day rental. It's a ton of fun with multiple players but still not great enough to but for full price. If you can fine it for $20 then pick it up.

The Thing seemed cool (played it for about and hour when a buddy of mine rented it). It reminds me of Resident Evil a lot. It didn't really suck me in though so I'd have to say it's also a rental, although I have no idea how long it is.